Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ATL_E55's Build Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 E55 AMG and 2012 GL450
Have to check if they still are in business, however I have my monoblocks redone (in 2011) by Wheel Repair Solutions in Norcross. They did an awesome job. The monoblocks had apparently been redone once before by previous owner, and that redo did not machine the rims. WRS did a perfect color match plus knew to machine the rims, and they repaired some fairly rough rash. (Alas 8 years later they have some bumps and bruises again.)
My favorite W210 AMG savy techs at local dealers have now retired, so DIY and a couple of great local indies are keeping me happy for the few times mine needs anything. BTW - Flexdiscs are pretty straight forward DIY.
Enjoy your E55. This is a perfect city for these cars as a daily driver, so long as you're not sitting in the rushhour jams.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W210 E55
Originally Posted by MBFanUSA
Have to check if they still are in business, however I have my monoblocks redone (in 2011) by Wheel Repair Solutions in Norcross. They did an awesome job. The monoblocks had apparently been redone once before by previous owner, and that redo did not machine the rims. WRS did a perfect color match plus knew to machine the rims, and they repaired some fairly rough rash. (Alas 8 years later they have some bumps and bruises again.)
My favorite W210 AMG savy techs at local dealers have now retired, so DIY and a couple of great local indies are keeping me happy for the few times mine needs anything. BTW - Flexdiscs are pretty straight forward DIY.
Enjoy your E55. This is a perfect city for these cars as a daily driver, so long as you're not sitting in the rushhour jams.
Yeah I got what I paid for when getting my monoblocks done. Thinking about sending them off again next summer to redo the color and lip.

I think I found the company you referenced.
https://www.awrswheelrepair.com/atlanta/requestinfo
Old 10-21-2018, 08:39 PM

W210 E55
Here is a little update.

I am at a crossroad right now with my front bumper. I have repaired some small scratches with UPOL (filler) and sanded it down on the repaired areas. I have tested the adhesion promoter and the SEM primer (both spray cans). I am doing a lot of trial and error sessions that are taking a toll on me. Having issues with primer showing signs of looking a little porous dots after a single coat or multiple coats. This makes my base coat look horrible. Right now I have only paint the bumper guards. And I have sanded them down after primer more then 3 times. I have a 20 month old son and I don't have as much time as I need to dedicate to the painting process. I am about to bite the bullet and find a local shop that can paint both the front and rear bumpers for me.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:57 AM

W210 E55
Been meaning to ask this recently, my headlight wiring harness has the typical old age damage on wiring jacket with exposed bare wires. Anyone come across an exact harness for a W210 with Xenon lights?

I may try to just replace the wiring but my running/parking light socket is damaged and will not hold any bulbs due to plastic damage.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:29 PM

W210 E55
For the past 2-3 months my car has set like this in my garage. I attempted to do a DIY paint job on my bumper but I realized that I should get a shop to do it instead.

This past month the bumper was painted and I got the headlights refinished by a coworker. Just got some replacement fog lights in this week but they also need to be refinished.

My attention is now at the back of the car. The plan is to get the rear bumper painted along with the trunk in the first few months next year.

Old 12-27-2018, 12:35 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
C215 CL55 AMG, W124 500E, W210 E430, W124 300E
good color match on the bumper!
The following users liked this post:
ATL_E55 (01-03-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 02:54 PM

W210 E55
Ordered a replacement window switch controls for the center console since my trunk button has been broken since bought last March. Hopefully the $80 part from eBay will do the trick!
Old 02-07-2019, 09:43 AM

W210 E55
Woohoo the windows switch and the TRUNK button work! No more broke *** trunk button.

Anyone else have the 521 interior code? Called my local MB dealer and they say it's called "Executive Black." The interior has faded from a black over the years to a lighter black (darker gray). Anyone have success matching this leather with UV faded interior?
Old 02-18-2019, 02:18 PM

W210 E55
This past weekend I addressed the ugly *** looking fade rear deck. This was a pain in the *** to get out. The locking mechanism for the headrests was unbelievably frustrating.

I dyed the fabric Saturday night but the light purple was still noticeable. So I bought some fabric spray paint and painted it last night. Hoping to post an updated image tonight. I also, performed a deep clean of the under the seats and on the cushions themselves.

During this ordeal, I managed to crack the black trim around the brake light. I have super glued it all back together as of yesterday.

Old 02-19-2019, 01:31 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
1999 E55 AMG, 2004 Big Turbo A4; 2005 C240 Wagon 4matic; 2001 ML430
Originally Posted by noogman
Do you have the rear power blind in your car?
This will protect your rear deck from hot sun.
Or you could smoke tint your rear windows?
I have and use both. The Texas sun has not been kind to my dash, front door trim, and center console, but the rear-seat area looks immaculate! No fading on the wood, carpet, or leather. Last 3 years my car has been stored outside, as well.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:53 PM

W210 E55
I have the sunshade but the previous owner didn't know how to use it.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts
couple of Benzos
Originally Posted by ATL_E55
I have the sunshade but the previous owner didn't know how to use it.
LOL thats crazy, some ppl should really drive a honda
Old 02-19-2019, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
2001 E55 OMG
This past weekend I addressed the ugly *** looking fade rear deck. This was a pain in the *** to get out. The locking mechanism for the headrests was unbelievably frustrating.

I dyed the fabric Saturday night but the light purple was still noticeable. So I bought some fabric spray paint and painted it last night. Hoping to post an updated image tonight. I also, performed a deep clean of the under the seats and on the cushions themselves.

During this ordeal, I managed to crack the black trim around the brake light. I have super glued it all back together as of yesterday.
I did the same a few years back

Dropping the white headrest spring clips and trying to retrieve and install has been on of the most frustrating times of DIY to date

It did take me 2 sprays to dye the purple back. If I were to do it again, I would dilute my mixture with water and do more light rounds with a sponge. In the end the deck looked good in color but became brittle to the touch and is a lint magnet. Soak it too much and the deck may warp. Those oval discs that support the shade near the glass also broke. Could not find replacements

I also did the speaker grills.I simply put some petroleum jelly on the BOSE logo and sprayed.

My third brake light broke too. I did not even touch it and it crumbled. I cheated and bought a brand new light from a tan interior car and sprayed it with plastic spray paint. Much kuddos to you to re-glue.

My rear sunshade bolts also broke. A little jb weld and new bolts and it was all good however I should have disassembled the sunshade and re lubricated the roller assembly. In the cold mine does not like to go down or up.

Nice job!

Old 02-19-2019, 10:50 PM

W210 E55
Finished product and installed them back tonight. Now I realize my headliner is sagging in some parts.... sprayed some adhesion fabric spray on it.... we'll see how long it lasts

Old 02-21-2019, 11:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2001 E55 AMG
Looking great. I have done the displays in the gage cluster, the little air compressor for locks, trunk and other systems, oil cooler gaskets, motor mounts, rear window regulator. Headliner, right outside mirror motor, wheel and paint need attention. I also get the P0455 fuel system CEL on a regular basis.

Really inspect the suspension on these W210's. Check the condition of the lower control arms. I was lucky to find mine when I bought it 3 years ago. Arm and ball joint was less than $100. DIY in a couple hours, did my own alignment with a piece of string, drives straight and true.

Even with these issues fixed and pending, I'd drive it anywhere and she loves to stretch her legs whenever I loosen the reigns!

Old 05-05-2019, 02:17 PM

W210 E55
Well guys.... I attempted to fix a little bit sagging headliner a few months ago with some fabric adhesive.... Needless to say the sagging returned fairly quickly... Now I have this in my garage. On a positive note I located my annoying rattle and it was the headliner glue that separated from the mounts.

Anyone have tips on how to get this foam off? I have been scraping the past few days here an there and this foam and glue get EVERYWHERE! and its NEVER ENDING!

Old 05-05-2019, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 139 Likes on 135 Posts
02w163ML500 / 97w210E50AMG / 99w202C230k / 95w124500e-wip
Try a bit of "goof-off" on a small spot and use a plastic/nylon (paint) scraper or similar to test.
Ive used this stuff on other items for removing sticky membranes, etc on plastics, metal, wood.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts
4 matic
Read this
Old 05-23-2019, 10:41 AM

W210 E55
Well guys.... I attempted to fix a little bit sagging headliner a few months ago with some fabric adhesive.... Needless to say the sagging returned fairly quickly... Now I have this in my garage. On a positive note I located my annoying rattle and it was the headliner glue that separated from the mounts.

Anyone have tips on how to get this foam off? I have been scraping the past few days here an there and this foam and glue get EVERYWHERE! and its NEVER ENDING!

I must say that this foam and glue are infuriating. Using a wire wheel on this crap and material is still coming off. The old glue is clogging the wire wheel and any brushes that i use. I think that i got all the foam off but it's hard to say.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Have you tried using a non-destructive chemical remover to assist your removal of the remnants?
Old 05-24-2019, 01:07 PM

W210 E55
I have tried only small areas with rubbing alcohol
Old 05-24-2019, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have tried only small areas with rubbing alcohol
This should work too and leave no residue on your surface.
From personal experience, goof-off leaves an oily residue, but it also removes the sticky residue of the previous material you're trying to remove. Then I use window cleaner like windex to remove it the residue.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:36 PM

W210 E55
Originally Posted by khomer2
This should work too and leave no residue on your surface.
From personal experience, goof-off leaves an oily residue, but it also removes the sticky residue of the previous material you're trying to remove. Then I use window cleaner like windex to remove it the residue.
Sweet I will give a try and report back.
Old 09-27-2020, 09:53 PM

W210 E55
It's been a while... got the headliner re-done by a shop in the Atlanta area. I had plans to do some more body/paint work on the car in late 2019. Well that didn't happen since my wife and I had kid #2.

Things have slowed down with the car until just recently. I put the car up for sale and buyer wanted a pre-purchase inspection. The buyer backed out due the amount of small items that were found. I am probably going to keep the car longer now and get some of the leaks sorted out before i sell. Here are some of the highlights of the inspection...

-DRIVERS SEAT BOTTOM HAS NO SUPPORT (BROKEN DOWN)
-LEFT FRONT INNER GRAB HANDLE COVER IS PEELING.
-RIGHT REAR INNER DOOR GRAB HANDLE IS PEELING.
-LEFT AND RIGHT SEAT CONTROLS LUMBAR AND MASSAGE INOP.
-HEADLIGHT WASHER IS INOP.
-MOTOR MOUNTS NEED TO BE REPLACED (LEFT IS BLOWN).
-TRANSMISSION MOUNTS NEED TO BE REPLACED.
-FRONT SHOCKS ARE LEAKING.
-REAR MAIN SEAL IS LEAKING.
-REAR TRANSMISSION SEAL IS LEAKING.
-TRANSMISSION PAN GASKET IS LEAKING.
-VALVE COVERS ARE LEAKING AND CRANKCASE VENT HOSES ARE HARD AND NEED TO BE REPLACED.
-OIL FILTER HOUSING AND OIL COOLER IS LEAKING.
-OIL ON OIL PANS - NEED TO REPAIR OIL FILTER HOUSING AND VALVE COVERS FIRST TO SEE IF PANS ARE LEAKING.
-MANY UNDER VOLTAGE FAULTS SET IN VEHICLE.

So i have my work cut out for me if I am looking to sell this thing anywhere near my asking price.

I just replaced the valve covers, breather hoses, upper valve cover sealant, spark plugs, timing cover gasket, oil cooler gaskets, steering pump reservoir, and air filter in the past week on my own. Trying to knock most of these out without going to a shop.

Next up... looking at getting the engine and transmission mounts done along with rear main seal and rear transmission seal all at once. Most likely by a professional shop.
Old 09-28-2020, 04:20 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
2001 E55 AMG, 2009 C63 AMG
Engine and Trans mounts can be done without a lift in < 2 hours.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ATL_E55's Build Thread