MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W210 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w210-amg-82/)
-   -   First time owner - E55, a bit of advice (https://mbworld.org/forums/w210-amg/990-first-time-owner-e55-bit-advice.html)

jazman 12-04-2001 04:38 PM

First time owner - E55, a bit of advice

First time MB owner. I bought a well-equipped used '01 E55; about 4k miles, designo silver. Absolutely love the car! Previous drive was an Audi A8.
I live just outside DC. We don't get a ton of snow, but do get some. What's it going to be like the first time I drive it in an inch of slush? Should I (a) leave it at home, (b) invest in new wheels and snow tires, or (c) weather be damned, stick it in W and go for it?? Thanks much.

JamE55 12-04-2001 04:55 PM

Hey jazman!

Congrats!! But first before anwering any of your questions... WHERE'S THE PICS????

JamE55 12-04-2001 04:55 PM

Hey jazman!

Congrats!! But first before anwering any of your questions... WHERE'S THE PICS????:D :D

Drew 12-04-2001 04:56 PM

Welcome to the Forum ...

... Jazman!!!

I have yet to drive my 'Beast' in inclimate weather ... seeing as how I live in the 'Sunshine State'.

However, there are many of our fellow E55 owners who battle with the white-stuff on a daily basis ... and some even drive in snow too! :D

I've heard of no real complaints ... but only with a good set of snows ... and a little common sense.

You should post a question in the Wheel and Tire Forum for more feedback as well.

Also, congrats on your new purchase ... you should just love your Beast. (13K miles on mine, bought new, and I've loved every single minute ... best car I've had to date!)

Again, Welcome!

STKLAW 12-04-2001 04:59 PM

What did you have to give for an '01 E55. And yeah, lets see some pics!

JamE55 12-04-2001 05:10 PM

what's the name of the dealer you got it from?

jazman 12-04-2001 05:13 PM

Hey, go easy on me with the requests for pics, I'm just a newbie remember! Don't have any pics, but I'll try to take a few (as soon as I wash the brakedust off those Monoblocks.....)

I paid about 69k (options are designo package, voice activated cell phone, heated seats, COMAND, CD Changer). 4300 miles on it, and a scratch on the rear seats (in the leather), otherwise in perfect shape. Did I overpay?

Thanks for the info on the tires - I'm going to try to give this winter a go without snow tires, at least for a bit. My other car is an Audi TT Quattro, so I guess the E55 can sit in the garage on really bad days......

Thanks for the welcome guys!

jazman 12-04-2001 05:13 PM

Dealer is American Service Center in Arlington VA....

JamE55 12-04-2001 05:25 PM

Cool! congrats again!:D :D :D

Rich 12-05-2001 07:22 PM

Congrats. Great car. Price sounds about right. You're gonna love it. I wouldn't put snow tires on it though. For the few times that there is snow on the ground I would leave it in the garage. It's not just how it will handle, but it's the other folks out there who don't know how to drive in the snow who will run into you. Besides, you give up performance and handling with the snow tires on, and you can't take really have fun with the car in the snow anyhow.
Rich
'01 Black/charcoal
Southside VA

JamE55 12-05-2001 07:25 PM

Hey Rich!

What do you have. I see you have 01 Black Charcoal but what e W210??

hmrdwn 12-07-2001 10:48 AM

Rich has an E55...that he has taken to the speed limiter on several times.

JamE55 12-07-2001 10:54 AM

V-Max speedlimiter removed??

Niceeee!!!:D :D :D

RezaH 12-07-2001 11:45 AM

Welcome

Hi Jazzman,

Congratualtions on your new E55.

I live in Falls Church.

You are not going to have much problems driving around here in our winters.

As along as you have all season tires, not the high performance sport tires, you will be fine in W mode.

Good luck and enjoy...

Rich 12-08-2001 01:00 AM

hmrdwn - an E55. I have started working on getting my E50 without a speed limiter. I'm first on the list in Richmond for an E50. I read somewhere that AMG will make cars without a limiter. The interstate down here (S VA) is empty early in the mornings on Sat and Sun. The median is wide and tree lined so there is no running radar on the opposite side of the highway. I do my speed runs from mm 10. There is a exit and crossover at mm 4, so there are 6 miles of empty road to play with. If I do pick up radar, I'm across the border into NC in 1-2 minutes at that speed.