In search of 2 245/35/19 Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 11:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Real Cars
In search of 2 245/35/19 Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3s

I can't seem to get my hands on these, if anyone knows of anyone who might have a set laying around I'd appreciate it.

Thanks everyone,

Marcus
Old 07-07-2005, 01:13 AM

04 E55
Y do you want these tires Marcus? I've heard mixed reviews of these...
Old 07-08-2005, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
houston,

Every tire I've ever seen has had mixed reviews... even the holy grail PS2s I've heard/read negative comments about. Their "strong points" fit my needs well and we'll see what happens

-m
Old 07-08-2005, 09:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Marcus,

Had them on my old E500 and loved them. Not like they are HRE rims or something. Throw um on....drive um a little...hate um...burn them to the dirt and get other ones.

You guys have big o out there in Chi town...just curious. Surprised Discount Tire does not have them either.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,003 Likes on 810 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
I had the F1 GS-D3's on my E55 and they were the noisest tire I've ever run. I even pulled over a couple of times becasue I thought my tire blew out. They were just that damn loud. Performance was not as good as the Pilot Sports. These were the second worst tires I've run behind the Nitto NT 555's.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
I've heard some PS2 with miles on them get ridiculously loud. I've seen PS2s bubble. I know people that are unhappy with them. I appreciate everyone's opinions but I'm going to try these out and see if they work for me given what strong points I am looking for.

Thanks,

-m
Old 07-08-2005, 10:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,003 Likes on 810 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
I wouldn't do it. They seem to perform poorly on heavier vehicles and great on lighter ones. I'm serious, these tires sucked on my E55. Don't throw your money away. Heck, mine were noisy from the first day. They aren't too bad at highway speeds but below 40 mph or on grooved concrete, as in bridge spans that have grooves for drainage, they are defening. I junked mine after 6 months because I could not stand the noise.
Old 07-09-2005, 03:16 PM

'08 CLS63
i had a s500 with the sports package...i had the dunlop 9000 and the dsg3's...the goodyears were much better tires...especially in the rain...i went through three sets in the back and two up front...i believe the goodyears are great tires...my $.02 worth

john
Old 07-09-2005, 07:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Funny how this thread proves my point that everyone has an opinion.

Well thanks to Jackpro1 I got word that the Goodyears are on a significant backorder (6 months+) so these tires will be going back to Tirerack, unfortunately.

-m
Old 07-09-2005, 08:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55, '05 SLK55, a few others
The F1's were much better than the Conti's on my E430. They were not noisy except over concrete sections as previously mentioned. They may not be the best, but pretty good for the money. Old style PS's were much louder everywhere except smooth concrete, and didn't last for *****, so whata you do?
Old 07-10-2005, 02:12 AM

S55 AMG '06
You're a glutton for punishment Marcus. I had the Goodyear's on my M5 and sold them 5 weeks later. Got PS2 and the difference was immediate and so significant that I've made it one of my many life missions to prevent anyone from making the same mistake. This is NOT an opinion call. MAN I know you want to disagree with me and think you have all the evidence in the world to back it up. But the reality is, and spent months and months and months and I've analyzed tons of threads on this subject on all kinds of boards and they all reach the same conclusion, no one who drove on PS2's or SO3's is chiming in saying the Goodyears are better performance tires. I have yet to find that statement on any board...and I've visited quite a few. I've heard people say they don't like the PS2 because they don't wear long. I've heard people say they are noisier than another tire. I've heard people say they had a flaw in the tire and had to replace them. But no one who drove on Goodyears in a car as heavy as ours says that they beat the PS2 or SO3 in performance, no one.

Just in this thread we have:
1. F1's better than Contis
2. Old PS's were louder and didn't wear well
3. F1's better than Dunlop 9k
4. had em on E500 and loved 'em, but no comparative statement made to any other tire.

Talk to the guys at tirerack who test all the tires. Read the reviews on tirerack and see how many people who reviewed them have 4,000 lb. cars. This tire has one of the softest sidewalls of all the performance tires out there. I could actually push it in with my thumb at 42psi!! Maybe even do your own little poll. What's the best tire is not a question that will ever give you the answer you want because it's too vague. You might like quiet, you might like wet performance, you might like long tread life, you might like all-season, you might like track performance. Me, I bought an M5 (and soon to have an E55) for one reason...street performance. That's the category that matters most to me. And if you're with me...get the PS2 and you'll be a happy man. Find and buy the F1's and you'll be writing a thread just like this a month later trying to prevent other people from making the same mistake...unless you haven't driven the PS2 or SO3 yet of course.
Old 07-10-2005, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
peebs1,

Thanks for the post - it's already been decided that I'll be going with PS2s, so we shall see what happens!

Marcus
Old 07-10-2005, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Marcus I somewhat agree, but most of this post is BS. A real authority with 4 posts and drives a M5? Like I said, F1's are pretty good for the money, not the best tire for your car. Benzgal had a PS2 replaced with a bulged sidewall within 1 month of purchase! Does that mean PS2's suck? No. Take his advice and read the reviews at the rack. Plenty of heavy car owners like the F1's, but again, not the absolute best tire on the racetrack. Are you buying them to autocross? If so, there are better tires than a PS2 or an F1. For all out street performance the PS2's are slightly better. Maybe more so on a car with very stiff suspension like his M5, but that's not an E55 is it? All of these tires will have increased noise as they wear. The killer is having no ability to rotate them with staggered sizes. I believe all of these tires would do much better if you could rotate them. I doubt you would be so completely unhappy with the F1's that you would ditch them 5 weeks later, especially if you're coming from Continentals. I have personally driven on PS, PS2, PS-AS, F1's, SO3's, Conti Sport Contacts, and PZero Rosso's. For overall dry performance (ignoring wear, hopefully no one is dumb enough to expect good mileage out of any max performance tire) I would rate as follows:

1. PS2
2. PS/F1 (tie)
3. SO3's
4. PS-AS (yes, an "all season" tire)
5. PZero's
6. Conti's.
Old 07-10-2005, 02:33 PM

S55 AMG '06
Not sure how my number of posts on this board would preclude me from being an expert in this or any other area. I'm sure there are plenty of people with hundreds of threads that you wouldn't take advice from and vice versa. I'd say the M5 is the closest performace relative to the E55 and I do think one can accurately draw inference from the tire experience of either side for our cars. Take it for what you will. Just trying to help people.
Old 07-10-2005, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Not saying you don't know tires, but a M5 is nothing like an E55. With such a stiff suspension (as compared to an E55), the F1's probably aren't a very good choice for that car. However, there's got to be a reason the F1's rate so highly. I'd say it's because they aren't nearly as bad as you claim, that's all.
Old 07-10-2005, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
I've heard some PS2 with miles on them get ridiculously loud. I've seen PS2s bubble. I know people that are unhappy with them. I appreciate everyone's opinions but I'm going to try these out and see if they work for me given what strong points I am looking for.

Thanks,

-m
Love the gs-d3's but i will say its a joke compared to the PS2. My E500 has gs-d3's and they are so loud the car sounds like a lifted chevy with mud tires when you slow down to 15 mph or so. The tend to be really hard to ballance and they flat spot. After getting PS2's on the E55 I swear its the best road tire ever made.

If they make a PS2 in your needed sizes I would get that in a second and leave these goodyears for someoen else.

The molding process for the goodyear also involves 2 pieces being grafted into 1 piece. This explains why every set I have ever had never ballanced out exactly. With age they get so lound and shake so much you just throw them away. I would look for a better tire. I only purchased them because there is no 245/45/17 PS2.