Road racing tires have arrived - PICTURES

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 05:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 S63 Coupe Iridium Silver
Road racing tires have arrived - PICTURES

My tarmac rally DUNLOP DZ02G tires are here! They have won 15 out of the last 16 tarmac rallys in Australia and now we'll find out how well they steer the E55 on circuit. There are three compounds available, Soft, Medium and Hard. It's all relative, of course, "Hard" does not really mean HAAARD, but "less soft"... Mine are Hard compound, for a heavy car.
I am going to the circuit in two weeks time and will do a full review, as compared to the stock Contis I used previously.
Next, the drags, where they should do better than street tires, but clearly not as well as DR's.
Attached Thumbnails Road racing tires have arrived - PICTURES-race-tyres1reduced.jpg   Road racing tires have arrived - PICTURES-race-tyres-2-reduced.jpg  
Old 07-28-2005, 06:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C300 Avantgarde
looks good ! ....hope to see u at the next drag meeting... If i can't make it, remember to post times of runs at WSID !
Old 07-28-2005, 06:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nothing
They have good grip. I used to race on that tyres. What is nice about them, is their consistency. Your best times on them is the 2nd or 3rd lap. Then they go a litlle down and stay there till the end. You will be a lot quicker with them than the Contis.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:36 AM
M&M

They will do well on the circuit. The sidewalls are awesomely stiff & they have loads of grip. Of course, just be careful that you get them warm before going ape. They take a bit longer to warm up than street tyres.

Also beware if you go off the circuit to get them clean before hitting it again. The debris tend to stick onto the tyre if you go farming.

And when they go eventually run out of grip there isn't the warning you get audibly & through the steering that you get with street tyres. You don't hear anything but the car just feels like "jelly" & let's go.

But for the drags don't expect any improvement in your times. Maybe 0.1 at best over the 1/4. The technology in that tyre is not really of benefit in a drag race.

Good luck anyway.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by M&M
They will do well on the circuit. The sidewalls are awesomely stiff & they have loads of grip. Of course, just be careful that you get them warm before going ape. They take a bit longer to warm up than street tyres.

Also beware if you go off the circuit to get them clean before hitting it again. The debris tend to stick onto the tyre if you go farming.

And when they go eventually run out of grip there isn't the warning you get audibly & through the steering that you get with street tyres. You don't hear anything but the car just feels like "jelly" & let's go.

But for the drags don't expect any improvement in your times. Maybe 0.1 at best over the 1/4. The technology in that tyre is not really of benefit in a drag race.

Good luck anyway.
Thanks for the advice, I will build up my skill level gradually. I am apprehansive and won't go ape or bananas, for sure LOL. Yes, the side walls are very stiff so it's the opposite of DA's. They won't twist at launch, but I will try them just to know the difference between them and Contis or PS2.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Hey Rafal,

Just curious....Gid_e_up took his to the track a few times and came home with a total of

2 broken half shafts
set of new calipers that burned to gold
all new rotors

Total was over 5K...not that it phased him though...he's got the bling.

I love the beast just about as much as anybody, but you sure she is gonna be able to hold up....on a circuit. Perhaps it is an American Aussie language gap....circuit here would mean you are taking her to many different races and hammering it on a pro road race track repeatedly.

Really curious to see how she does.....let us know would ya.

Be safe....and kick a$$ for the guys at mbworld.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Hey Rafal,

Just curious....Gid_e_up took his to the track a few times and came home with a total of

2 broken half shafts
set of new calipers that burned to gold
all new rotors

Total was over 5K...not that it phased him though...he's got the bling.

I love the beast just about as much as anybody, but you sure she is gonna be able to hold up....on a circuit. Perhaps it is an American Aussie language gap....circuit here would mean you are taking her to many different races and hammering it on a pro road race track repeatedly.

Really curious to see how she does.....let us know would ya.

Be safe....and kick a$$ for the guys at mbworld.

By "circuit" we mean lap track other than straight line drag racing track.
I don't really hammer the beast too hard and there is no actual racing.
These are invitation only drive days for exotic cars where for a steep fee you can drive fast laps all day with other cars like Porsches, Ferraris, BMWs, Aston Martins. You also get instruction from several race drivers present.
No speed limits but no timing and dangerous driving. Hardly anybody has insurance at these events so we are all very responsible. You still wreck your street tires in no time. They overheat and lose the outside edges very quickly. Hence the road racing tires - just for a bit of fun once a month!
Old 07-28-2005, 11:40 AM

2004 E55 AMG
where has Gid_E_Up and his Stage3 Kleeman been lately?

Make sure you get some pictures Rafal! and hopefully a video or 2 would b nice Good Luck!
Old 07-28-2005, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Last I heard from him, he was building a special road racing Cobra to take around to different tracks. I tried to talk him into Viper, but he was stuck on the low weight and compact Stang.

Must be nice. Go Gid!!
Old 07-28-2005, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

W221
Those tires look menacing!~!
Old 07-28-2005, 05:36 PM

SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
Do you have any idea about what inflation pressures you'll use? I have been driving my PS2s with 40psi in the fronts and 35 in the rears and this seems to improve turn in and quickness for what it's worth.

I think you'll be astounded at the difference between Conti POSs and the Dunlaps. My PS2s made it feel like a different suspension.

Have fun, be safe, and have someone take some digital pics. Please. We love to see our beast in action.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Vetluver
Do you have any idea about what inflation pressures you'll use? I have been driving my PS2s with 40psi in the fronts and 35 in the rears and this seems to improve turn in and quickness for what it's worth.

I think you'll be astounded at the difference between Conti POSs and the Dunlaps. My PS2s made it feel like a different suspension.

Have fun, be safe, and have someone take some digital pics. Please. We love to see our beast in action.
I will start off at 36 psi and heat up to 40 psi all around. They defalte tires down to 40 psi if they are really hot and exceed that target.
That's what they generally recommend. If you start with 40 psi on track, very soon you are on 46 and need to deflate to 40 all the time. .
Old 07-29-2005, 02:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

211 E55(sold) & 80cc shifter kart
mostly the reason we burn stuff up on our cars at the track is because of the wt of the E55 and alittle of it has to do with driving skill. If you don't know the right way around the course then you'll be braking to much and gasing it in the wrong places basically thrashing on your car which leds to broken stuff. those tires look sick i actually have been eye'n them for ahwhile now (i want some) let us know how they worked!!