MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W211 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg-81/)
-   -   Another post-flash 1/4 mile time (Maryland) (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/167748-another-post-flash-1-4-mile-time-maryland.html)

WayneE 10-21-2006 02:57 PM

Another post-flash 1/4 mile time (Maryland)

Took my 2006 E55 w/the dreaded flash to the track today. Conditions were so-so, mid 60s? and DA of +780 according to the weather station of one of the racers near me.

Although I kept flubbing the launch, I ran a 12.25@116.70 on a 1.82 60'. For reference, there was another MBWorld member there with his Renntech pulley/ECU 2004 that ran a 12.9@117.5 (not sure on the exact MPH). I had DRs and he was on street tires. Hopefully he'll post his other times.

I am still not used to the Nittos, though. On my street tires, I was able to get the same or better 60' times. On my back to back 12.25 passes, I just wasn't there mentally and gently fed in the gas like I was still on street tires. :crazy:

Hopefully I'll un**** my brain and actually slam the gas down next time :)

Jrocket 10-21-2006 03:55 PM

I'd kill for those kind of weather conditions! Nice runs BTW.

Fikse 10-21-2006 04:00 PM

nice runs....

zangerbenz 10-21-2006 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by WayneE (Post 1802797)
Took my 2006 E55 w/the dreaded flash to the track today. Conditions were so-so, mid 60s? and DA of +780 according to the weather station of one of the racers near me.

Although I kept flubbing the launch, I ran a 12.25@116.70 on a 1.82 60'. For reference, there was another MBWorld member there with his Renntech pulley/ECU 2004 that ran a 12.9@117.5 (not sure on the exact MPH). I had DRs and he was on street tires. Hopefully he'll post his other times.

I am still not used to the Nittos, though. On my street tires, I was able to get the same or better 60' times. On my back to back 12.25 passes, I just wasn't there mentally and gently fed in the gas like I was still on street tires. :crazy:

can u please explain to me in detail how u drive your 55 to be able to run those times.
the best i could manage is a 12.6 @ 181km/h.
please explain
1.what mode u use on the gearbox?
2. what rmp u launch the car @?
3.if u changes gears manually what rmp u change @?
4.what octane feul u use?
5. what is the temp of the atmosphere as well of the engine??

m3tonyh@verizon 10-21-2006 04:50 PM

1/4 mile in Maryland

Hey Wayne,

Thanks for the tip on the launch. I got it down to a 11.90 @117. Would like to try a set of stickyer tires instead of the stock Contis.
The car feels strong but cant seem to get it to the pavement. I'll just
keep trying.

Thanks again,

Tony

TopGun32 10-21-2006 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by m3tonyh@verizon (Post 1802879)
Hey Wayne,

Thanks for the tip on the launch. I got it down to a 11.90 @117. Would like to try a set of stickyer tires instead of the stock Contis.
keep trying.

Thanks again,

Tony

11.90 is a very good time for stage 1 car. congrats!

117 is a very nice number too. You are trapping similar to a M5 with just a pulley and ecu.

Rock 10-21-2006 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by zangerbenz (Post 1802863)
can u please explain to me in detail how u drive your 55 to be able to run those times.
the best i could manage is a 12.6 @ 181km/h.
please explain
1.what mode u use on the gearbox?
2. what rmp u launch the car @?
3.if u changes gears manually what rmp u change @?
4.what octane feul u use?
5. what is the temp of the atmosphere as well of the engine??

Here is what you do if you have DR:
- get a little water on the rears
- pull up where it's dry in the burnout area (usually just a few ft)
- apply just enough brake to keep the car from rolling
- aggressively get into the gas while feeding in just enough brake to keep the car from moving... hold at a steady rpm
- when the tires begin to heat up, they will drag the revs down just a little
- left off the brake and then the gas

Wayne, does this sound familiar?..............it should. I printed this out when you posted it last year. You can call me .....................Grasshopper.

WayneE 10-21-2006 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by m3tonyh@verizon (Post 1802879)
Hey Wayne,

keep trying.

Thanks again,

Tony

Awesome! What was your 60' and 1/8 mile ET/MPH on that pass?

Based on the positive DA for the day, it was obvious that the conditions were not as good as it would have appeared just by standing around out there. I was surprised that we were all in T-shirts/jeans, instead of jackets.

Originally Posted by TopGun32
117 is a very nice number too. You are trapping similar to a M5 with just a pulley and ecu.

My car ran 116.7 and it's stock. I think he'll see a couple more MPH once he can put it down in the first 330'. He's really babying it out of the hole to avoid wheelspin.

Rock, that's the burnout :)

zangerbenz, I've been a best of 12.16@115.29 with my car in bone stock form. Not the quickest, but I think it's in the top 20 for stock E55s on the board. On to your questions...

1. Sport mode for the tranny, comfort for the suspension
2. Right off idle, I don't stall it against the brake at all
3. see above
4. 92 octane
5. The engine usually stays at 90c on the temp gauge, even when hotlapping.

PDC 10-21-2006 06:03 PM

Relief!!!

Not trying to hijack Wayne's thread. Congrats on KILLER times by anyone's standard. I just wanted to throw out to the board that if these are post-recall flash times, then maybe the recall flash isn't the mass E55 detuning to make way for the E63 conspiracy that some have undertsandably believed it to be??

m3tonyh@verizon 10-21-2006 06:06 PM

I had the recall flash first then did the mods after that. Glad I waited

Tony :)

WayneE 10-21-2006 06:06 PM

Hijack away, PDC. My point was the show that my car is trapping as high or higher than ever, post-recall-flash.

m3tonyh@verizon 10-21-2006 06:08 PM

Wayne,

My 60' time was 1.699, 1/8 mile was 7.69 @ 93.2 mph.

Thanks again for the tips

Tony

darren_dallas 10-21-2006 06:12 PM

Tony,

Is your car stock?

Thank you,

Darren

WayneE 10-21-2006 06:16 PM

That's awesome, Tony. I wish I would have listened to my own advice. :)

m3tonyh@verizon 10-21-2006 06:17 PM

Darren,

I have the stage 1 Renntech package and intake heat spacers from evo-sport. Need to try stickier tires though.

darren_dallas 10-21-2006 06:25 PM

Tony,

Awesome. Thought your time seemed a little faster than stock. Very nice.

Regards,

Darren

Rock 10-21-2006 06:37 PM

WayneE

I know, I was just trying to use some of your material.:)

Alright, a serious question. When at the line, are you saying not to power brake at all? Also, does the launch technique change when running DR vs street tires (I know prelaunch is different).

WayneE 10-21-2006 06:40 PM

Rock, I can't tell you what works for DRs on these cars... I have run quicker short times on my stock tires :( I'm still trying to figure it out.

My best times have always been just sitting at the line and then flooring it (obviously keeping available traction in mind). I like to let the tq of the motor flash the converter to it's highest point, instead of powerbraking/stalling against the converter.

I think that Spero ended up running his quickest short times on DRs doing the same thing - just flashing the converter from idle.

2K6E55 10-21-2006 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by m3tonyh@verizon (Post 1802934)
Wayne,

My 60' time was 1.699, 1/8 mile was 7.69 @ 93.2 mph.

Thanks again for the tips

Tony

Nice numbers. Good job!

chiromikey 10-21-2006 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by WayneE (Post 1802797)

first of all, nice time!

i was under the impression from others on this board that '06's don't receive the flash? regardless, most '05 and '06 cars were not affected the same way '03 and some '04 cars were.

jangy 10-21-2006 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by chiromikey (Post 1803150)
first of all, nice time!

i was under the impression from others on this board that '06's don't receive the flash? regardless, most '05 and '06 cars were not affected the same way '03 and some '04 cars were.

'06s produced in '06 do not need the flash. It isn't that those of us that don't need the flash got away with anything, since I think the flash is already integrated. Now, I have heard runors that the actual flash compatibility with the hardware / software combo is what was causing some "loss". Of course I like to believe that, since mine is newer, but I doubt it.

You are absolutely correct that the post flash loss seems to affect the early models most. There were a few members with newer cars that also had concerns, just so they don't feel left out.

chiromikey 10-21-2006 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by jangy (Post 1803165)
'06s produced in '06 do not need the flash. It isn't that those of us that don't need the flash got away with anything, since I think the flash is already integrated. Now, I have heard runors that the actual flash compatibility with the hardware / software combo is what was causing some "loss". Of course I like to believe that, since mine is newer, but I doubt it.

You are absolutely correct that the post flash loss seems to affect the early models most. There were a few members with newer cars that also had concerns, just so they don't feel left out.

:rolf: lol...i'm sure they wouldn't mind feeling left out of this one!

04E55 AMG 10-21-2006 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by WayneE (Post 1802959)
Rock, I can't tell you what works for DRs on these cars... I have run quicker short times on my stock tires :( I'm still trying to figure it out.

My best times have always been just sitting at the line and then flooring it (obviously keeping available traction in mind). I like to let the tq of the motor flash the converter to it's highest point, instead of powerbraking/stalling against the converter.

I think that Spero ended up running his quickest short times on DRs doing the same thing - just flashing the converter from idle.

Hey Old Friend,

Here is the link from that day at the track that Derrick posted when I ran with DR's. My 60' time was 1.64. I spoke to the guy that purchased my car in Atlanta a few months ago and he ran the old beast at 11.3 after installing the Kleemann TB. I will be in the Damascus area on Monday, if around maybe we can hook up for a coffee.

The Greek

http://thumbs.vidiac.com/72e978f7-e3...825ac6edf3.jpgClick here to see Video

zangerbenz 10-22-2006 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by WayneE (Post 1802925)
Awesome! What was your 60' and 1/8 mile ET/MPH on that pass?

Based on the positive DA for the day, it was obvious that the conditions were not as good as it would have appeared just by standing around out there. I was surprised that we were all in T-shirts/jeans, instead of jackets.

My car ran 116.7 and it's stock. I think he'll see a couple more MPH once he can put it down in the first 330'. He's really babying it out of the hole to avoid wheelspin.

zangerbenz, I've been a best of 12.16@115.29 with my car in bone stock form. Not the quickest, but I think it's in the top 20 for stock E55s on the board. On to your questions...

1. Sport mode for the tranny, comfort for the suspension
2. Right off idle, I don't stall it against the brake at all
3. see above
4. 92 octane
5. The engine usually stays at 90c on the temp gauge, even when hotlapping.

do u allow the gear to change automatically or do u change them @ a certain rmp manually??????

WayneE 10-22-2006 08:59 AM

I let the car do the shifting, zangerbenz.

Spero, call me on Monday AM. I'd love to hook up.