W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

TO THOSE WHO SAID IT COULDN'T BE DONE! installing an aftermarket hu is simple! DIY?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2006 | 08:36 PM

W211 installing an aftermarket hu is simple! read within

FYI - After not getting any help what so ever from this forum on installing an aftermarket headunit I went off on my own and took on the challenge.

I have a 2003 E55 AMG. I installed a AVIC Z1 and it was SIMPLE! From factory I had that karman logic unit installed. The infamous "10" speaker system riiightt. They are counting tweeters, etc.

This may be good to turn into a sticky since nobody and I mean nobody understands this fiber optic stuff.

The solid red wire with a yellow stripe from your factory wiring harness goes to your CONSTANT 12V connection.

The solid brown wire from your factory wiring harness goes to your GROUND WIRE.

The solid red white stripe wire (found at the cigarette lighter, do a search for hot wiring the valentine and you'll find it) goes to your 12V SWITCH WIRE.

Your illumination wire goes to one of your tailights HOT wire. Don't remember the color but can get that for you.

OH and the infamous speakers =) The headunit is fiber opitcally run to the factory amp which sits on the left hand side of the trunk. Should be easy to find underneath the carpet or whatever its called. From here WIRES WIRES WIRES go to speakers. There will be a set of 5 wires! 4 of them go the front left/right, etc. Then one set goes to your center speaker upfront.

CLIP these wires and then attach your own wires to these and run them to your headunit. Most high end head units have an good enough amp to power up these speakers. BELIEVE ME. The problem with setting up new speakers is that they are a special size I think 6 5/4 or something instead of 6 1/4. Either way clip these wires and do this:

RIGHT REAR WIRES ARE = +white -brown with white stripe
RIGHT FRONT WIRES ARE = +black -brown with black stripe
LEFT FRONT = + solid gree - brown with green stripe
LEFT REAR = + pink - brown with pink stripe

FYI
+ = positive and - = negative

NOTE: use a 16 or 18 guage wire to attach to these factory wires when running back.

You must attach wires and make sure you label them correctly and such and wire them through the car to the back of the head unit.

IMPORTANT:
Depending on the head unit you have the ohm calculations you MAY OR MAY NOT be able to connect the center speaker. I was unable to unless I wanted to add a two channel amp and bridge it. This is a little more tricky and for the added little extra sound you got not worth it at all.

From there all of your other components such as the bluetooth, XM navtraffic and other utilites only run off ur 12V POWER SWITCH or 12V POWER CONSTANT and a GROUND WIRE. I have mentioned were those can be located already.

Guys is this simple or what? =) This is for all you young owners out there that want to install an aftermarket head unit. I will have pics up if there is interest at the end of the weak. I'm currently fabricating a nice custom bracket that will have AMG below the headunit glowing in a light blue like the AMG side sills

The only thing I have yet to find is the infamous VSS wire... hehehe it has alluded me thus far and I know it exists. The can bus junk you don't have to use. I'll let you know when I have discovered this mysterious wire. The nav unit will work without it no problem and everything else is honestly self explanatory on the install. I have outlined the most difficult and intimidating part for most people installing head unit in these fiber optic cars.

I love my E55 even more now... muah! sorry guys i'm just excited.. back to studying for my board exam in february peace Leave a message on here if have anymore questions. I'll check it over the next few days or if you have any news on how to find that VSS wire. thanks.

Last edited by Futuredocwe55; 12-02-2006 at 11:55 PM.
Old 12-02-2006 | 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
Originally Posted by Futuredocwe55
FYI - After not getting any help what so ever from this forum on installing an aftermarket headunit I went off on my own and took on the challenge.

I have a 2003 E55 AMG. I installed a AVIC Z1 and it was SIMPLE! From factory I had that karman logic unit installed. The infamous "10" speaker system riiightt. They are counting tweeters, etc.

This may be good to turn into a sticky since nobody and I mean nobody understands this fiber optic stuff.

The solid red wire with a yellow stripe from your factory wiring harness goes to your CONSTANT 12V connection.

The solid brown wire from your factory wiring harness goes to your GROUND WIRE.

The solid red white stripe wire (found at the cigarette lighter, do a search for hot wiring the valentine and you'll find it) goes to your 12V SWITCH WIRE.

Your illumination wire goes to one of your tailights HOT wire. Don't remember the color but can get that for you.

OH and the infamous speakers =) The headunit is fiber opitcally run to the factory amp which sits on the left hand side of the trunk. Should be easy to find underneath the carpet or whatever its called. From here WIRES WIRES WIRES go to speakers. There will be a set of 5 wires! 4 of them go the front left/right, etc. Then one set goes to your center speaker upfront.

CLIP these wires and then attach your own wires to these and run them to your headunit. Most high end head units have an good enough amp to power up these speakers. BELIEVE ME. The problem with setting up new speakers is that they are a special size I think 6 5/4 or something instead of 6 1/4. Either way clip these wires and do this:

RIGHT REAR WIRES ARE = +white -brown with white stripe
RIGHT FRONT WIRES ARE = +black -brown with black stripe
LEFT FRONT = + solid gree - brown with green stripe
LEFT REAR = + pink - brown with pink stripe

FYI
+ = positive and - = negative

NOTE: use a 16 or 18 guage wire to attach to these factory wires when running back.

You must attach wires and make sure you label them correctly and such and wire them through the car to the back of the head unit.

IMPORTANT:
Depending on the head unit you have the ohm calculations you MAY OR MAY NOT be able to connect the center speaker. I was unable to unless I wanted to add a two channel amp and bridge it. This is a little more tricky and for the added little extra sound you got not worth it at all.

From there all of your other components such as the bluetooth, XM navtraffic and other utilites only run off ur 12V POWER SWITCH or 12V POWER CONSTANT and a GROUND WIRE. I have mentioned were those can be located already.

Guys is this simple or what? =) This is for all you young owners out there that want to install an aftermarket head unit. I will have pics up if there is interest at the end of the weak. I'm currently fabricating a nice custom bracket that will have AMG below the headunit glowing in a light blue like the AMG side sills

The only thing I have yet to find is the infamous VSS wire... hehehe it has alluded me thus far and I know it exists. The can bus junk you don't have to use. I'll let you know when I have discovered this mysterious wire. The nav unit will work without it no problem and everything else is honestly self explanatory on the install. I have outlined the most difficult and intimidating part for most people installing head unit in these fiber optic cars.

I love my E55 even more now... muah! sorry guys i'm just excited.. back to studying for my board exam in february peace Leave a message on here if have anymore questions. I'll check it over the next few days or if you have any news on how to find that VSS wire. thanks.

...........Good job. Sorry you got no help. There was never really any problem installing an aftermarket head unit. You simply do an amp by-pass like you did. The problem is that you cannot use your steering wheel controls. That has not been figured out.

Ted
Old 12-02-2006 | 08:47 PM

Thanks ted. nobody ever told me that not to mention I never found anything on search. Either way who needs those pesky steering wheel controls I honestly only use them to manipulate the MPH or range settings, etc.
Old 12-02-2006 | 08:49 PM

Oh and ted.. any clue where to find the VSS?
Old 12-02-2006 | 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i drive them all, fast and hard
can u post pics of the unit

what board exam are u studying for,
Old 12-02-2006 | 11:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Great way to make friends. I could give a rat's crap if you found the code to any secret. This isn't exactly a throw it in your face type place and what you've done isn't a secret. I wasn't one that told you it couldn't be done, but you still haven't done crap. If the buttons don't wrk, its worthless. Next time you may want to be a little more cooperative or not.
Old 12-02-2006 | 11:53 PM

jangy you are such a nice guy =) kudos to you chief... i NEVER use the steering wheel controls and am still wondering why people are so obsessed over them.

I'm studying for the USMLE =) AKA boards for the MD

sooo anybody know where this VSS wire is at all?

oh jangy I changed the title of my post just for you... lmao

Last edited by Futuredocwe55; 12-02-2006 at 11:56 PM.
Old 12-03-2006 | 12:22 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
jangy you are such a nice guy =) kudos to you chief... i NEVER use the steering wheel controls and am still wondering why people are so obsessed over them.

I'm studying for the USMLE =) AKA boards for the MD

sooo anybody know where this VSS wire is at all?

oh jangy I changed the title of my post just for you... lmao
Yoiu can post whatever you want that the mods allow. It's your attitude that wants some, so bring it.
Old 12-03-2006 | 02:44 AM

dude, 4K posts? go outside and get some fresh air.. chill
Old 12-03-2006 | 10:47 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
dude, 4K posts? go outside and get some fresh air.. chill

I'll be out all day today, but in LA. I'll try to take a few deep breaths just for you.
Old 12-03-2006 | 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
Which step? I, II CS, II CK, etc etc...........
Old 12-03-2006 | 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 slightly modified
Congratulations on getting 1950 technology into your 2000 technology car.
Old 12-03-2006 | 07:16 PM

1950 technology? are you serious? you actually believe the mercedes navigation is better then aftermarket systems? WOW! Especially in 03 when nav wasn't available or was very rare on the e55 altogether. Man this place is insane. Benzmod or whatever you have a w203... u go dude

Step 1 - hey kev i'm currently up in maine and did some pre clinical stuff at maine med.. man you are close.. =)

Last edited by Futuredocwe55; 12-03-2006 at 07:22 PM.
Old 12-03-2006 | 08:06 PM

04 E55
Futuredocwe55,

On the AVIC-Z1 are you able to view the TV or navigation screen while simultaneously listening to an audio CD, in other words are the video and audio signals separated?
Old 12-03-2006 | 11:47 PM

Good question, i'll mess with it this week and i'll let you know next weekend.. i'm currently out of town =( I know i did the bypass so I can watch video while on the move
Old 12-04-2006 | 04:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 slightly modified
1950 technology? are you serious? you actually believe the mercedes navigation is better then aftermarket systems? WOW! Especially in 03 when nav wasn't available or was very rare on the e55 altogether. Man this place is insane. Benzmod or whatever you have a w203... u go dude

Step 1 - hey kev i'm currently up in maine and did some pre clinical stuff at maine med.. man you are close.. =)
I rewired my whole car from 01 spec to 06 spec. I think I know what can be done and what can not be done.

From an integration perspective I think its more or less a step backwards. Just because it is different and has a few nice things doesnt make it better to the overall Mercedes philosophy.

When was the last time I touched the dials on the front face .... long before I bought a Mercedes.
Old 12-04-2006 | 08:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
Oh and ted.. any clue where to find the VSS?
..........I just saw this. The vehicle speed wire does not exist. The signal is part of the canbus loop. I just solved this problem when installing racelogic in my car. The racelogic requires a speed and rpm signal. PM me if still interested.

Ted
Old 12-04-2006 | 09:01 AM

04 E55
Originally Posted by benzmodz
I rewired my whole car from 01 spec to 06 spec. I think I know what can be done and what can not be done.

From an integration perspective I think its more or less a step backwards. Just because it is different and has a few nice things doesnt make it better to the overall Mercedes philosophy.

When was the last time I touched the dials on the front face .... long before I bought a Mercedes.
Without something like the JL Audio CleanSweep, I've yet to see a factory radio that will out perform any decent aftermarket HU... maybe I misunderstood your post.
Old 12-04-2006 | 10:37 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
..........I just saw this. The vehicle speed wire does not exist. The signal is part of the canbus loop. I just solved this problem when installing racelogic in my car. The racelogic requires a speed and rpm signal. PM me if still interested.

Ted
Sorry for the OT, but did you have to install a hall-effect sensor?
Old 12-04-2006 | 10:42 AM

CLS55
lets see a pic!
Old 12-04-2006 | 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 G500, '13 G63, '17 GLS63,
I'll admit, the OEM Navi is not very useful and waste of money. However, on a high end car, I feel aftermarket headunits cheapen the feel and you are also losing out on the steering wheel controls. Another minus is that since they are a multifunctional control, its much, much more difficult to adapt them to control an aftermarket headunit, unlike some others which only control the radio. If one simply wants a better Navi, just get a Garmin or Magellan for less than what an aftermarket head unit costs and you can switch it from car to car.
Old 12-05-2006 | 12:03 AM

You can install an aftermarket head unit and make it look good several ways. Get a custom face plate that would match your car. Also, you can modify the Z1 so you can change the background and the loading screen. I can make it load wit the mercedes emblem and have found a gray wood grain type background for the av and nav part of it. =)

I will give you guys pics when I am back in home.

Ted you have a pm
Old 12-05-2006 | 06:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S

Only if you can read Japanese..... CANBUS Adapter

Let's see how good yours look
Old 12-05-2006 | 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 G500, '13 G63, '17 GLS63,
Originally Posted by Kev04C320

Only if you can read Japanese..... CANBUS Adapter

Let's see how good yours look
Sweet. I wonder if anyone in the States carries this item. Takes care of my reservations. I wont be switching my head unit out on my '04, mind you, but if I had an '03 this adapter would probably convince me to do it.
Old 12-05-2006 | 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by bigjuice
Without something like the JL Audio CleanSweep, I've yet to see a factory radio that will out perform any decent aftermarket HU... maybe I misunderstood your post.
The word performance is not the same word as quality. The car is made with a complete integration included which is about 80-90 million dollars worth of development just for the entertainment side and another 100 million for the head unit.

For anyone who is interested in resale value there is no point in discussing aftermarket units and cutting wires. The market is slowly going MOST optical and what will happen after a few years is that some of the larger players will enter with some reasonable products.

To me, many of these products appear extremely primitive and backward. Someone asked me once to install the best sound system that money can buy into their car. What they thought was the best was about 10% as much as what it actually costs.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: TO THOSE WHO SAID IT COULDN'T BE DONE! installing an aftermarket hu is simple! DIY?