W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

••• Project Stock to Awe •••

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:59 AM

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
03 E55 AMG
Thumbs down

Diff got chewed up... the weakest link found... Will post it up soon.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:18 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
finny
please do tell us about the diff.did you finish with slr i/c.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55
i have been waiting long time for this one to wake up! One of my favorite treads..

Old 12-16-2008, 03:57 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by Finny
Can you please elaborate? Which part of the diff was chewed up? The weakest link I have found in my car is the axles but I already have a quaife in the diff. Did you shear the main gear in the diff? You should definitely get a quaife in that bad boy if you haven't already
Old 12-17-2008, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Founder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ones too fast according to CHP!
Now I understand why you wanted that diff we had and wanted it shipped so quick!

Good luck getting it back running!
Old 12-17-2008, 11:01 AM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by otoupalik
No I understand why you wanted that diff we had and wanted it shipped so quick!

Good luck getting it back running!
What diff do you offer? What is upgraded? Or are you just talking about a quaife LSD unit?
Old 12-17-2008, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Founder

We sent Finny a stocker that we had on the shelf.

We have the quaife that we offer currently and two new options coming in the new year.

Thanks
Brad
Old 12-21-2008, 01:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
We sent Finny a stocker that we had on the shelf.

We have the quaife that we offer currently and two new options coming in the new year.

Thanks
Brad
Last I heard that OS Giken and Autotech were coming out with their own LSD for the M215 diff.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:04 PM

03 E55 AMG
Ran into a few complications where all the problems were solved. Just waiting on some custom engineered parts being made.

I have plenty to share so when the Diff is done I'll post it all up with plenty of pics.

Pending Posts:

• Diff mod and info for 02-03 w211's.
• Cheep do it your self EPC, DAS & WIS system.
• Rear camber kit install.
• Bypass valve investigation.
• Quarter and Dyno data.

Cheers!

Finny
Old 12-21-2008, 01:15 PM
MBWorld Founder

Originally Posted by pshek
Last I heard that OS Giken and Autotech were coming out with their own LSD for the M215 diff.
Yes. We are on OS Giken master distributor and that is the primary one I am hopeful for. It is already in a car testing. Autotech also has a new unit coming (they claim) at some point in the future.

Ran into a few complications where all the problems were solved. Just waiting on some custom engineered parts being made.

I have plenty to share so when the Diff is done I'll post it all up with plenty of pics.

Pending Posts:

• Quarter and Dyno data.

Cheers!

Finny
AWESOME. Please post info on Item#2 ASAP!

thanks
Brad
Old 12-21-2008, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R

Pending Posts:

• Quarter and Dyno data.

Cheers!

Finny
can't wait! nice to look forward to informative posts again like the old days...thank you!!!
Old 12-21-2008, 03:45 PM
Banned

02 S500 Sport
Nice skills
Old 01-06-2009, 07:49 AM

03 E55 AMG
Thumbs up A different kind of Diff

My single spinner rear end finally gave in under the extra HP injection. I had a Quafe on stand by but didn't get around to changing it over until self destruction of the old unit.

Anyway after removing the stock Diff I then realized it was an inferior model as I had an 02 build which came with a weaker design compared to the newer 30 spline version. MB changed the Diff spec some time in 03 I believe but not to sure when.

After inspecting the old unit there was no recoverable parts so I found a good unit on Ebay from Evosport. Thanks fellers!

So what's the big deal here?... the old Diff uses a 27 spline two piece axel and the new version uses a 31 spline one piece design. The MB stealers wanted to rob me for a set of one piece types so I decided to make up a set of adapters that would fit the old axels with 30 splines. See the following photos.

-_mgl9278.jpg
Out it comes... Notice the the two piece design.

-_mgl9280.jpg
Oh! What's in here? A few lose bits from the free wheeling carrier.

-_mgl9291.jpg
Crunch! a missing tooth.

-_mgl9287.jpg
The centre pin slowly chewed its way through by a shearing motion.

-_mgl9282.jpg
Part of the carrier gear not looking to healthy.

-_mgl9276.jpg
Quafe awaiting a new home.

-_mgl0980.jpg
The old 27 spline axel with chew marks on the shaft. This was forged and then rough machined. The spline was rolled then flame hardened from very mild steel. It's done this way for efficient mass production reasons which suites the spec.

-mgl0952.jpg
The local engineer cutting away.

-_mgl0981.jpg
This spline was tool cut then induction hardened from 4130 billet steel. The old axels will twist off before this fails.

-_mgl0978.jpg
Stock on the right. Longer spline and 2mm thicker on the left.

-_mgl0979.jpg
The left axel has more meat in the flange area as well.

-_mgl0985.jpg
All ready for transplant. Lets see if the axels hold up...
Old 01-06-2009, 08:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Sweet!
Go Finny, I don't recall ever seeing a carrier shaft dance completely out.
In defense of your old 3rd member was it not twisted out of the car once?
Nice flanges, FWIW I understand AMG offers a Euro axle that is stronger.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Finny, Very impressed. I love the "from A to B" format that you follow. Great R&D on your end. If you don't mind me asking do you work in a tech/engineering field of something similar or are you just a die hard fan? You've taken a much better approach to creating some of these parts than 90% of the "mercedes tuners" that offer their own parts. So very delighted to see your posting again.

How much longer did you make the spline?
What apple program did you use to autocad the SLRintercooler trial piece?

Awesome
Old 01-06-2009, 07:09 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2004 E55
My single spinner rear end finally gave in under the extra HP injection. I had a Quafe on stand by but didn't get around to changing it over until self destruction of the old unit.

<snip>

All ready for transplant. Lets see if the axels hold up...
NICE!!!!! Love the conversion part, very nicely done
Old 01-06-2009, 07:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Nice work!

Can you please post up pics of the E55 axles? Did you count how many splines are on the end that goes into the hub? Thanks
Old 01-06-2009, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes
As always
Old 01-07-2009, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Seriously cool technical posts/Pictures Finny is the Mercedes Guru around here
Old 01-07-2009, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Founder

Looking very good! Great work!
Old 01-07-2009, 11:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'10 Panamera S, '06 AMG CLS55, '07 Miata MX5, '02 MB SPRINTER, '99 Spec Miata Race Car (2X)
As always Finny - great respect. Wish you well on this journey that have been taking us. We wait with bated breath for your next post!
Old 01-10-2009, 04:10 PM

03 E55 AMG
DAS for the masses...

AWESOME. Please post info on Item#2 ASAP!
I picked up a couple of old DAS units from an Auction a few years ago and when I tried to upgrade the software recently to the newest version it all hit the fan!!!... so after many nights trying to hack the system I finally conceded defeat, all was to hard. After doing some goggling I found this guy in the UK who seemed to know a bit about the software where I then contacted him and explained all the problems. Unknown to me, Merc placed a license time bomb in the updates which locks out the Multiplexer and all Applications... pack of you know what's!!!

You may argue that if idiots get hold of a powerful diagnostic solution they may injure and or kill themselves or someone else indirectly... IMO only... anyone with basic tech skills should have access to their cars computer to do whatever they like and most people who don't understand wouldn't invest anyway... So I'm going to tell you how you can acquire your own diagnostics system for cheep...

Anyway, I chatted with John Coupland from http://www.jcrecordings.com who is an absolute gentleman and DAS gun! Paid him a few bux and he sent me all the latest up dates, video instructions and developer access to DAS etc... to get my system up and running. Even the Mux was cracked! This bloke is a DAS guru.

So you want to know what's going on under the 55 skin for cheep? Do this...

(1) Buy a cheap IBM laptop, not sure what model but if you check Ebay you will see dealers selling them for 20x the price with the Mux and DAS software which is full of bugs. Just get the model number and buy it as a generic machine from a normal computer dealer.

(2) Look up on Ebay or wherever and find a copy MUX (Multiplexer) with a RS232 serial interface and all the cables & crap. There are plenty around as China clones them by the hundreds if not K's. Going very cheep these days.

(3) Go to http://www.jcrecordings.com and buy all of Johns stuff. Tell him Finny sent you and he may do you a better deal if you order a heap of data. Very fair prices though. He sells the whole HD with everything pre installed as well so you just stuff it into the Laptop and your away.

(4) If you feel morally obligated to give Finny funds because he's a good lad and saved you a heap of cash just give it to John or charity... Also bare in mind, if you have any problems with your system John will solve "any" problems you encounter, remember the Guru of DAS, WIS and EPC.

Now do your own 10 degree mod and service!

-wis_das.jpg

Originally Posted by Yacht Master
In defense of your old 3rd member was it not twisted out of the car once?
Yes, when I used slicks the extra traction stressed the Diff carriage assembly mounting bolts which are designed to sheer off after impact for safety reasons. This can be real Dangerous when using slicks. Just remember to check the nut end of the mounting pads by removing the rear wheels and grommets that cover the area. Look for micro stress fractures and or large ring like cracks.

Originally Posted by NitrogenBalance
Finny, Very impressed. I love the "from A to B" format that you follow. Great R&D on your end. If you don't mind me asking do you work in a tech/engineering field of something similar or are you just a die hard fan? You've taken a much better approach to creating some of these parts than 90% of the "mercedes tuners" that offer their own parts. So very delighted to see your posting again.

How much longer did you make the spline?

What apple program did you use to autocad the SLRintercooler trial piece?

Awesome
Thanks, I like to get straight to the point and explain it as simple as possible. I speak less and let the images do most the talking. I like science and tech in general and have broad mechanical knowledge which I like to apply to the 55. Love the technical challenge and just enjoy the culture.

I had the machinist match it to the Quafe centre. Plenty of meat there.

Modo 3d for the Mac. Powerful 3d tools which are surprisingly easy to use. Sharp learning curve but worth it as you can design anything thing you like easily. Now with 3d printers available we have desktop prototyping

Originally Posted by blackbenzz
Can you please post up pics of the E55 axles? Did you count how many splines are on the end that goes into the hub? Thanks
I did, there hanging under the car without the mini axels. No, I didn't count the hub splines but that will probably self destruct next. Thanks for reminding me... Ha Ha...

More $h!te happened after the diff was installed... a bolt came loose in the tranz pump which chewed the pulse ring of the K1 clutch housing which is responsible for detecting the final output speed of the tranz. New one ordered and I'll stick it in soon... Lucky the damage was minimal though... After the tranz repair... DYNO!!! and 1/4 time!!! with stock cooler.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 Black C63 Eurocharged V5
great job Finny....great to read your awesome posts.

So what was the solution to the SLRcooler Map and TEmp sensors?? are you using just the single original sensor that came with the car or have you somehow been able to fit dual sensors into the stock harness?
Old 01-10-2009, 04:50 PM

1988 535i 5 speed
This is better than ****! I love this thread! Finny, you are doing what I wish I could do: Tear into an AMG! I'm betting you will have the sickest 55 on this board when it's all done.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
once again finny, and thanks for sharing!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: ••• Project Stock to Awe •••