Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VRUS airbox track results (inside).

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 08:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 E63S wagon, 2016 GLE350d, GLE450 on order
Rock, i was not making a glib remark (maybe it came across like that ), just trying to offer a solution to your lost of mph In fact we are running similar setups and i was considering the airbox also. btw most of my posts are short

rflow, nice of you to chime in. It is a little presumptuous to assume that i have no track results. In fact there are a few members on here with very quick rides that do not advertise how well their car performs .

btw, i do not have anything against vic; in fact i have offered my input and support to him on alot of his projects, including some that he has not even mentioned yet. Posts are made to generate some debate and get peoples' input, not to create a closed-minded linch mob....feel free to pm vic and ask him yourself....
Old 05-07-2007, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Drag times

Well I am sure that everyone here has been to dragtimes.com, but if not here is a page of interest.

http://www.dragtimes.com/Mercedes-Be...ag-Racing.html

Who has the software or can make a spreadsheet to analyze all the E 55 Numbers?

Last edited by Yacht Master; 05-07-2007 at 02:16 PM.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Rock,

Few things come to mind why you might have lost the mph.Gas,do you use the same brand os gas everytime?Do they have summer/winter blend gas where you live,I assume they do.You say the cel came on now,that might be the reason right there.You need to get some OBDII software so you can monitor all of this stuff yourself.Also,just because it was in the 60's out doesnt mean the weather was'nt affecting your mph.Humidity and baro play a role in the DA as well.

As for the new box gaining any hp,Im not certain it will help if the air still has to be drawn through intake tubes with the stock(small)diameter.I could be wrong and might very well be,but I dont see how the larger box will help.I dont see it losing any hp either.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:29 PM

W211 E55AMG
I think no-one including VRUS doesnt mention VRUS filters. These filters maybe doesnt flow good enough? Airbox itself is very good product but bad filters can destroy benefit of that.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:05 PM

2004 E55
As for the new box gaining any hp,Im not certain it will help if the air still has to be drawn through intake tubes with the stock(small)diameter.I could be wrong and might very well be,but I dont see how the larger box will help.I dont see it losing any hp either.
Jrocket, you make a very important point!!! It's like this suck a Mcdonalds milk shake with a 1/8" straw, and do the same but open the *** end to 1/2" guess what still same results!

Here's the truth and this ties into what Finnish C32 is saying. Renntech's box was the original design, and it's set-up is identical, but they gain horsepower and have proof because of there package! What makes there package work is there research into the filter elements, that is why they say you gain 15hp with there box. But in all reality what you gain is a cleaner looking engine bay, and better flowing filers that give you the power!

Rock i'll bet, with out messing with your car, put the stock set-up back on and throw a set of K&N's or BMC's or something simular and you'll get your mph back. The engineers at Kleemann and Renntech understand airflow, and Renntech just offered a CF piece with high flowing filters. When you understand airflow, you begin to see past the smoke and mirrors, jam some killer filters in whatever box you got Rock, and give me ten cars! Oh yeah let me know what code shows up from the CEL.

Rflow, check with PTE and let me know what dates are best for you guys, can't wait to see PTE's car hual *** after the killer head work he got done. Oh yeah i'll bring my refill station for all the boys that want to spray her. So where set with one match up Jparch vs. Rflow, any bets?

Also Rflow check around and see how we should do the event, i'm thinking eliminations, with like a 16 or 32 car field just like a real race, cause i'm thinking just who is the fastest might not be fair, if there's grudge matches we can do side bets, but just strictly on e.t. ain't gonna be good, as we can easily put three stages on the car open exhaust and go for one kamikaze pass and lay down a 9.90, so we should make this fun and see who can go fast and go rounds!
Old 05-07-2007, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
What worries me is the intakes into the airfilter housing is stock ... how can the airbox above make the stock inlets perform better?

Even with the pythons the hole into the airbox bottom is stock ... maybe this is not the restriction but just a thought.

I would have liked to see the pythons have a bigger mouth and a fatter mounting to the bottom of the airfilter housing... but thats just my 2c.

The cel light is very interesting ... are there any sensors in the inlet housing that the new airbox is affecting?
Old 05-07-2007, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL65
If I recall Renntechs "high flow" filters are just the stock AMG filters we already have. I remember some jokes being made at renntechs expense over that.

Originally Posted by bleek
Jrocket, you make a very important point!!! It's like this suck a Mcdonalds milk shake with a 1/8" straw, and do the same but open the *** end to 1/2" guess what still same results!

Here's the truth and this ties into what Finnish C32 is saying. Renntech's box was the original design, and it's set-up is identical, but they gain horsepower and have proof because of there package! What makes there package work is there research into the filter elements, that is why they say you gain 15hp with there box. But in all reality what you gain is a cleaner looking engine bay, and better flowing filers that give you the power!

Rock i'll bet, with out messing with your car, put the stock set-up back on and throw a set of K&N's or BMC's or something simular and you'll get your mph back. The engineers at Kleemann and Renntech understand airflow, and Renntech just offered a CF piece with high flowing filters. When you understand airflow, you begin to see past the smoke and mirrors, jam some killer filters in whatever box you got Rock, and give me ten cars! Oh yeah let me know what code shows up from the CEL.

Rflow, check with PTE and let me know what dates are best for you guys, can't wait to see PTE's car hual *** after the killer head work he got done. Oh yeah i'll bring my refill station for all the boys that want to spray her. So where set with one match up Jparch vs. Rflow, any bets?

Also Rflow check around and see how we should do the event, i'm thinking eliminations, with like a 16 or 32 car field just like a real race, cause i'm thinking just who is the fastest might not be fair, if there's grudge matches we can do side bets, but just strictly on e.t. ain't gonna be good, as we can easily put three stages on the car open exhaust and go for one kamikaze pass and lay down a 9.90, so we should make this fun and see who can go fast and go rounds!
Old 05-07-2007, 05:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65
I've been running the VRUS CF box for over a month now and I've not had CEL light or any other issues.

Originally Posted by stevebez
The cel light is very interesting ... are there any sensors in the inlet housing that the new airbox is affecting?

Last edited by bfnnrgn; 05-07-2007 at 06:19 PM.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
I don't think vrus ever claimed any hp benefits but increased airbox volume should help regardless of the oem intake tubes or filters...it may not be worth sustantial hp but it should help. a larger intake tube diameter might help at higher rpms but airbox volume is still likely to be more important.

I use k&n's but oem filters are NOT as restrictive as people think unless dirty (which could also be the problem), but we really need to quit speculating about all this until we get further data from rock.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by bfnnrgn
I've been running the VRUS CF box for over a month now and I've had CEL light or any other issues.
Have or have not?
Old 05-07-2007, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65
Originally Posted by Jrocket
Have or have not?
Doh! I meant not had any issues.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
I assumed thats what you meant,just wanted to be clear is all.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:44 PM

2017 Charger Hellcat

My money is on my boy Rflow
Old 05-07-2007, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E55
Me neither....I don't think anyone bought the CF to gain horsepower. Its just way cheaper and a better design than Renntech. Mercedes is not a drag car. Very fast for a 4300lb barge...but lets face it...putting one of these on a diet and caging it is...well...kind of silly IMO. Interesting and technical, and I give props to those who push them but...I don't think having a 9 second Benz is worth much. Just my .02.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:15 PM

E55 AMG
If the filters are an issue???.....we still have the option of using oem or K&N filters with the VRP airbox???.....is this right??
Old 05-07-2007, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65
Originally Posted by Efivefive
If the filters are an issue???.....we still have the option of using oem or K&N filters with the VRP airbox???.....is this right??
Correct
Old 05-07-2007, 08:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65
Let's wait and let vrus chime in with his thoughts. I'm sure he'll be interested in analyzing this as he put a lot of thought and work into this project.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:56 PM
Administrator

Received 519 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Originally Posted by Jrocket
Rock,

Few things come to mind why you might have lost the mph.Gas,do you use the same brand os gas everytime?Do they have summer/winter blend gas where you live,I assume they do.You say the cel came on now,that might be the reason right there.You need to get some OBDII software so you can monitor all of this stuff yourself.
Jrocket, I have always used BP 93. I have no idea if they use a summer/winter blend. I do have access to race gas but have never used it. From past threads, I gathered it does not make a big difference?

As far as the CEL issue...................I will let you know about that on Thursday.

Originally Posted by Finnish C32
I think no-one including VRUS doesnt mention VRUS filters. These filters maybe doesnt flow good enough? Airbox itself is very good product but bad filters can destroy benefit of that.
My understanding is that these are very high flow filters but I will do as Bleek suggested and swap them out.

Originally Posted by stevebez
Steve, there are no sensors in the inlet housing. The sensors are downstream

If I recall Renntechs "high flow" filters are just the stock AMG filters we already have. I remember some jokes being made at renntechs expense over that.
I believe you are correct.

Let's wait and let vrus chime in with his thoughts. I'm sure he'll be interested in analyzing this as he put a lot of thought and work into this project.
I spoke to Victor earlier today and I hope he will chime in on this thread.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by Rock
Jrocket, I have always used BP 93. I have no idea if they use a summer/winter blend. I do have access to race gas but have never used it. From past threads, I gathered it does not make a big difference?

As far as the CEL issue...................I will let you know about that on Thursday.
Im very curious to see what code is throwing the cel.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by Yacht Master
Well I am sure that everyone here has been to dragtimes.com, but if not here is a page of interest.

http://www.dragtimes.com/Mercedes-Be...ag-Racing.html

Who has the software or can make a spreadsheet to analyze all the E 55 Numbers?
What do you want to know?
Old 05-07-2007, 11:22 PM
Administrator

Received 519 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Originally Posted by juicee63
What do you want to know?
He is looking for reproducible track numbers once you figure in all the variables (like- temps, elevations, track location, etc.).
Old 05-07-2007, 11:37 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
If we are talking 40hp, what does the butt dyno say? Could you feel any difference?
Old 05-08-2007, 12:45 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Hey Rock,

If the CEL came on I am assuming there is either a vacuum leak or an improper seal somewhere in the intake stream.

- Check the hose that runs from the driver's side manifold to the back of the airbox (connected to the aluminum nipple)..

- Check the PCV hose that connects to the bottom of the TB and make sure it didnt come loose.

These are 2 common places where the hose can slip off.

- Tug GENTLY on the hose that connects to the aluminum nipple on the airbox to make sure it is actually still connected to the driver's side manifold. You cant see it from above, so if you pull gently, you should notice that it is firm and doesnt give.

If all the connections seem tight, you'll have to get someone with an OBDII scanner to pull the codes or get the dealer to do it.

There is no way an airbox that is bigger in volume on a F.I. car will cause a 4mph drop.. It just isnt going to happen. On a N.A. car, the design and airflow path of an airbox is very critical because if air velocity drops or becomes too turbulent, it will affect power.. On a F.I. car, its just a matter of forcing as much air in as possible.. The air path on this box is very smooth.. No sharp bends anywhere and a significant increase in volume..

As for the filters... they are a dense foam construction. The best paper based filter can never flow as much air as a foam filter because the foam is inherently more porous.

I wouldnt waste any time swapping the filters right now. You can run your car at the track with NO FILTERS to get the most airflow into the engine and not pull a CEL. We need to find the root cause of the CEL first.

Based on the data I've seen for these cars a 120mph trap with an 11.7 ET seems to be in line...

If all of the checks above dont come up with anything, I think you need to get the codes pulled before we can make any conclusions.

Whatever it is, I am sure its going to be something simple that will be easy to remedy.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
- Tug GENTLY on the hose that connects to the aluminum nipple on the airbox to make sure it is actually still connected to the driver's side manifold. You cant see it from above, so if you pull gently, you should notice that it is firm and doesnt give.
That was EXACTLY what was wrong on my car. Weird, you could see it and it looked like it mated right up, but when we tugged on it you could tell it was clearly loose.

Worth a shot Rocko!
Old 05-08-2007, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Rock,
Is this the fastest time that you have achieved with your car? Although your MPH is lower, I think your ETs drop drastically. Typically, as your ETs drop so will your MPH. I do not know the technical reason for this, but I have experienced it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: VRUS airbox track results (inside).