W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Oil Level and ESP Warnings ... Bogus???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 12:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2023 GLE 450 4Matic; Past: 2019 GLS 450; 2011 E550; 2007 E63; 2003 E500; 1999 E430
Oil Level and ESP Warnings ... Bogus???

I have had my E63 for one month. It has 1380 miles. While driving yesterday there was a warning that ESP was inoperable. When I shut the car off and started again it went away and ESP is now functioning properly. Later on the same day there was a warning that the engine oil level should be checked at the next fuel fill. The implication here was that the engine oil level has been reduced to a critical level. Needless to say I was shocked. It was late and raining so after stopping off to do what I needed to do I then returned home. The oil warning did not display again. Today I took the car out and still no warnings. I even checked the oil level using the dipstick and it seems fine. I think I'll make an appointment for the 1000-3000 mile check up and bring this to the attention of the service department.

Anyone have similar experiences?

Last edited by JP465NY; 05-13-2007 at 01:00 PM.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E320 CDi
Only experience i have has is with the oil level sensor....I would get into the car, drive 100 yds down the road and a Red warning came on telling me my oil was low and to visit workshop. After stopping the car and checking the oil myslef, it said oil level ok ??

Took it in last week and they said it needs a new oil level sensor.

maybe u have the same prob ??
Old 05-13-2007, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
ESP was inoperable
ESP warning can come for literally a hundred things. Mine came on when blower belt came off, but tech told me guys have got ESP errors for a brake light out.

Get her into the shop and the Star system (hopefully) will let them know where she is coming from. Probably no big deal .
Old 05-13-2007, 02:47 PM
Ben

E63
Also had the oil warning on three consecutive days. I checked the dipstick, but it appeared to be more than sufficient since the level was within the "min" and "max". I decided to add about 1/3 of a quart of Mobil 1 and the warning has since stopped... cross my fingers.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:15 AM

2015 BMW 640ix GC (Ruby Black)
Originally Posted by baldrad
I have had my E63 for one month. It has 1380 miles. While driving yesterday there was a warning that ESP was inoperable. When I shut the car off and started again it went away and ESP is now functioning properly. Later on the same day there was a warning that the engine oil level should be checked at the next fuel fill. The implication here was that the engine oil level has been reduced to a critical level. Needless to say I was shocked. It was late and raining so after stopping off to do what I needed to do I then returned home. The oil warning did not display again. Today I took the car out and still no warnings. I even checked the oil level using the dipstick and it seems fine. I think I'll make an appointment for the 1000-3000 mile check up and bring this to the attention of the service department.

Anyone have similar experiences?
Just with the Check Engine Light, which came on at almost exactly 1300 miles, last Thursday, and still hasn't gone out. As you, I just made a service appointment at which I'll have that checked as well as the idle noise, rough transmission shifting and also have the courtesy service done.

Checking the oil with the dipstick is tricky because if the car isn't completely level you'll see (or at least I do) a very high level on one side of the dipstick and a very low level on the other. So I try to find a level spot or at least rotate the dipstick 180 degrees to find an average.

=NLK=
Old 05-14-2007, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML550
Originally Posted by baldrad
I even checked the oil level using the dipstick and it seems fine.

Wow, the E63 comes with a real dipstick? I miss not having a dipstick on my E55. The sensor is okay, but I'm old school and actually like to see the oil level and oil color on an old-fashioned dipstick.