MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W211 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg-81/)
-   -   Oil Catch Can Installation (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/195128-oil-catch-can-installation.html)

mb1 08-13-2013 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by shardul (Post 5746969)
I would not do it

Can you elaborate a little more besides "I would not do it".. i have had the covers off and there's aboslutely no pressure coming out of the 2 smaller hoses. the big one, YES.. the vacuum from the intake is what keeps sucking the oil out of the valve covers, so there is no pressure at all. When i blocked them off, the car ran much smoother and quieter.

I would still leave the main big hose (2nd hose on driver side) on as that one does build a little pressure.

thoughts?

cij911 08-13-2013 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by mb1 (Post 5746529)
quick question guys.. what is the pro and con about just blocking off the outlet from the valve covers completely? i don't see the engine building a lot of pressure there.. I tried doing it tonight by hand and after a bit, still no pressure. even raving the engine up. any thoughts??

thanks

Not a wise thing to do at all...In fact you should look to improve the ventilation as you run more boost....

When the engine is under boost you will get a lot of pressure that needs to be released...

cij911 08-13-2013 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by mb1 (Post 5747124)
Can you elaborate a little more besides "I would not do it".. i have had the covers off and there's aboslutely no pressure coming out of the 2 smaller hoses. the big one, YES.. the vacuum from the intake is what keeps sucking the oil out of the valve covers, so there is no pressure at all. When i blocked them off, the car ran much smoother and quieter.

I would still leave the main big hose (2nd hose on driver side) on as that one does build a little pressure.

thoughts?

At idle and revving the engine, you are operating under vacuum....When you are under load and generating boost, you will see that plenty comes out of the three vents....

mb1 08-13-2013 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by cij911 (Post 5747175)
At idle and revving the engine, you are operating under vacuum....When you are under load and generating boost, you will see that plenty comes out of the three vents....

I understand.. just a little confusing to me as to why none of those are clamped at all.. they come of freely.. you'd think that if there's any pressure, that there would be clamps or at least zip ties. :confused:

also, we are talking about lower end of the motor, where the pressure "should" be minimal.. unless of course you have a lot of bypass.

cij911 08-13-2013 05:05 PM

Here is a good read for you : http://www.106rallye.co.uk/members/d...hersystems.pdf

400RWHP 03-13-2014 01:55 AM

Bumping this up to ask a question. On the accordion snorkel there is a tube that comes from the valve cover on the driver's side. Could we not just route that tube into a catch can to avoid oil getting into the filters/intake? Just a simple hose from there to a can?

I don't fully understand PCV so please help me here.
Regards

Moosepuck 03-13-2014 12:53 PM

nope, that hose just lets fresh(filtered) air into the top of the valve cover.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/positi...ion-system.htm

Denroll 11-24-2014 03:10 PM

Did anyone come up with a good solution for a throttle body with no inlet port? What can/parts did you use?

I'm thinking about adding an inlet port on my homemade intake for that fat tube on the drivers side.

Denroll 12-10-2014 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Denroll (Post 6241477)
Did anyone come up with a good solution for a throttle body with no inlet port? What can/parts did you use?

Oh really? That's fascinating.

55fanatic 12-11-2014 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Denroll (Post 6241477)

I'm thinking about adding an inlet port on my homemade intake for that fat tube on the drivers side.

Originally Posted by Denroll (Post 6259580)
Oh really? That's fascinating.

I lol'd

DQuickest 04-20-2019 07:30 AM

Hello , I have been wanting to install a catch can as well buy have been a little confused as to which hose is connected to the can . Is it the larger one that connects to the air cleaner or the 2 smaller ones that come off of each valve cover ? Man if you could shed some light on that , I would be greatly appreciative ! Thank you so much for you time . I am new to the Forum but not to the E55's . Thanks again .

mbmg 04-20-2019 12:38 PM

Its the two smaller ones that come off of each valve cover. "T" those two together like it shows in post #12 above, run that combined hose to the can inlet and then one from the can back to the factory "T" under the throttle body. Make sure to block off one side of the factory "T." I made a custom bracket for my can and mounted it right behind the driver's headlight housing. It works well and is already catching oil.

DQuickest 04-22-2019 07:33 AM

Man ! , Thank you so much for explaining that for me . I have been struggling with that for some time now . I'm not sure why I've had such a mental block on this project but I am very appreciative of you taking the time to reply that info to me . Thanks again . I have a double style can so I can use one for each side . I will post some pics when I'm done .

DQuickest 04-22-2019 07:36 AM

One more dumb question , What should be done with the fat tube . I have a cold air set-up going on and it does not have a port for that hose . I would assume to just block it off ? Or am I wrong ?

mbmg 04-22-2019 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by DQuickest (Post 7738370)
Man ! , Thank you so much for explaining that for me . I have been struggling with that for some time now . I'm not sure why I've had such a mental block on this project but I am very appreciative of you taking the time to reply that info to me . Thanks again . I have a double style can so I can use one for each side . I will post some pics when I'm done .

Yes, you should be able to use one for each side. Just connect them back to the "T" under the throttle body.

mbmg 04-22-2019 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by DQuickest (Post 7738372)
One more dumb question , What should be done with the fat tube . I have a cold air set-up going on and it does not have a port for that hose . I would assume to just block it off ? Or am I wrong ?

I wouldn't feel comfortable blocking off that valve cover fat tube port. Maybe others can chime in if it's okay to do.

DQuickest 04-23-2019 07:38 AM

yea sure , If anybody has any ideas or info on what they did or to do that would be great . Thanks guys .

Yuille36 04-23-2019 08:56 AM

Where would the optimal spot to place the catch can on a 07-09 E63, so that the oil in the can, could be easily drained?

anomadtoo 06-20-2019 03:35 PM

bump for Yuille's question

Osgee 01-05-2020 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by DQuickest (Post 7738372)

I wouldn't block it off but I can't see no harm in running it to a 2nd catch can