W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VRUS airbox Guys..Any check engine lights?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 05:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 JDM
I would say ENDSMTG's car is VERY healthy. I have first hand knowledge.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2005 E55 Wagon
Just curious, how did your stage 2 E55 do against the 996 TT?

Originally Posted by ENDSMTG
Me vs J200I member here. We had a meet 3 weeks ago w/996TT, CLS500, c55, several W211 and a couple W210.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:32 PM

'08 S65, '04 Range Rover(The House), '06 Lexus GS 300(Wifey's), '02 Sea Ray 360 Sundancer
Never got the chance to run the TT, but did spank the E63!
Old 07-09-2007, 08:05 PM
Administrator

Received 519 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Originally Posted by vrus
Dave (Rock).. Any updates.. How is the car?

Hi Victor:

I had you on my, "people to call list."

Here is the short version: I took the car in and gave Chuck (MB master-tech) the list of things to look at. Everything checked out fine so he decided to put the stock box back in place, let me drive it and see if the CEL returns. I've driven it a few days and no lights yet but we will see.

Nothing is more upsetting than to pass by the container that my CF airbox sits in. I know I have a deposit on the tubes/cover but I want to get this worked out so I don't have more CF sitting on my garage floor. I also need a warp kit but I think I'll wait for the second batch.

Thanks, I'll be in touch.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:18 PM
dsc

2004 E55
What about putting the CF box back on after there is no CEL with the stock box to see if the CEL comes back. It just seems very strange an airbox can cause a CEL. Just seems like if it is associated with the CF box it would be with the installation not the box itself. I have had my CF box on and off a few times to do things and never a CEL.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:42 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Hey Dave,

This is really strange behaviour.. The CEL came on after a WOT run the last time... Try doing a few WOT runs now with the stock box and see if it comes back.

Also, when you put the CF airbox back on, use the air filters that you have on the car normally. Dont use the foam filters.. Change 1 variable at a time..

Drive it again.. Just make sure he is sealing it properly when he installs it.. Check the foam ring and make sure there are no tear marks on it. There should only be gentle pressure from the foam ring onto the face of the TB. It shouldnt be "crushed" up against the TB.

In fact, now that the airbox is off the car, please take a few pics of the foam ring, the airbox itself, and the filters and email them to me.. I'd like to have a look and see if anything looks "funny".

I hate that you are going through this, but, no one else has had this trouble so far so I really dont know how it could be the airbox..

Anyways, please send me the pics..

When are you scheduled to go back?

Originally Posted by Rock
Hi Victor:

Here is the short version: I took the car in and gave Chuck (MB master-tech) the list of things to look at. Everything checked out fine so he decided to put the stock box back in place, let me drive it and see if the CEL returns. I've driven it a few days and no lights yet but we will see.

Nothing is more upsetting than to pass by the container that my CF airbox sits in. I know I have a deposit on the tubes/cover but I want to get this worked out so I don't have more CF sitting on my garage floor. I also need a warp kit but I think I'll wait for the second batch.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E 55
Hi Victor:

Rock, I will gladly take that cel light causing air-box from your hands my friend. Just give up it's never going to work on your car sell it to me while you still can.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:19 PM
Administrator

Drives Slowly
Originally Posted by dsc
What about putting the CF box back on after there is no CEL with the stock box to see if the CEL comes back. It just seems very strange an airbox can cause a CEL. Just seems like if it is associated with the CF box it would be with the installation not the box itself. I have had my CF box on and off a few times to do things and never a CEL.
I agree, very strange. In my mind I have SleeperX and Rflow intercepting my CF airbox at the post office and introducing anti-flow properties.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:41 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Albert... buddy.. Just say the word and one is on your doorstep.. No need to try and "swipe" it from our friend Rock..

Originally Posted by rflow306
Rock, I will gladly take that cel light causing air-box from your hands my friend. Just give up it's never going to work on your car sell it to me while you still can.
LOL.. I can actually picture that in my head too...

SleeperX has the secret weapon en-route to his place as we speak.. I think the Pythons will be going on next week.. Frank.. I expect a full report!!!

You are falling behind Dave... Get this figured out so we can resume... I'm going to have to take royalty payments on your practice in order for you to catch up on all the mods that are passing you by..

BTW, I have your crate engine all boxed up and ready to go.. 5.7L, race heads, and ported blower just like you asked for.. Just give me the go-ahead to have Fedex pick it up.

I agree, very strange. In my mind I have SleeperX and Rflow intercepting my CF airbox at the post office and introducing anti-flow properties.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:44 PM
Administrator

Drives Slowly
Hey Dave,

This is really strange behaviour.. The CEL came on after a WOT run the last time... Try doing a few WOT runs now with the stock box and see if it comes back.

Also, when you put the CF airbox back on, use the air filters that you have on the car normally. Dont use the foam filters.. Change 1 variable at a time..
Thanks, this will be my first step.

Drive it again.. Just make sure he is sealing it properly when he installs it.. Check the foam ring and make sure there are no tear marks on it. There should only be gentle pressure from the foam ring onto the face of the TB. It shouldnt be "crushed" up against the TB.
They did a "smoke test" and the airbox-TB interface was good.

In fact, now that the airbox is off the car, please take a few pics of the foam ring, the airbox itself, and the filters and email them to me.. I'd like to have a look and see if anything looks "funny".?
I hate homework assignments but for you...................

I hate that you are going through this, but, no one else has had this trouble so far so I really dont know how it could be the airbox..

Anyways, please send me the pics..

When are you scheduled to go back?
Victor it's all good. We will get things worked out.......no pain, no gain. I did not set a return date. I will run it hard for a week and then take the next step.

Last edited by Rock; 07-09-2007 at 10:33 PM.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:46 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Hey Dave... I just had an epiphany...

Maybe the computer is all messed up because of the super-highflow of the airbox???

The computer is probably thinking: there is no way we are getting 1,000,000,000,000 lb/min of air flow.... Signal Implausible... Stack overflow, stack overflow.. Can't compute.. Reboot computer...

Hmm.. Try stuffing some socks into the openings of the airbox.. Maybe reducing the flow will fix things up.

I'm not sure what is going on but I keep throwing the same CEL (check engine light) code ever since the airbox install.

Read out was:
Code: P2007-008
Text: B28 (Pressure sensor) : Signal implausible
Old 07-09-2007, 09:47 PM
Administrator

Drives Slowly
Originally Posted by rflow306
This is why you are at the top of the food chain......................feeding off the weak.....................

Last edited by Rock; 07-09-2007 at 10:28 PM.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:32 PM
Administrator

Drives Slowly
Hey Dave... I just had an epiphany...

Maybe the computer is all messed up because of the super-highflow of the airbox???

The computer is probably thinking: there is no way we are getting 1,000,000,000,000 lb/min of air flow.... Signal Implausible... Stack overflow, stack overflow.. Can't compute.. Reboot computer...

Hmm.. Try stuffing some socks into the openings of the airbox.. Maybe reducing the flow will fix things up.

I agree.................. funny..........but could a change in airflow be enough to throw a CEL?
Old 07-09-2007, 11:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
I agree.................. funny..........but could a change in airflow be enough to throw a CEL?
If you were dealing with a MAF then I might say yes,its possible,but a map?It has too be something else wrong.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Has to be a leak somewhere ........
Old 07-10-2007, 10:13 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Dave.. I was 110% kidding... A MAP based car cares not about how much airflow.. The more the better... On A MAF based car its possible to have it go out of range with too much flow, but on our cars this is not an issue.

Old 11-10-2007, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
2020 S560,14 ml350, 03 sl55, silver, pano, slr cams, evo headers, lsd, 2019 s63 cab.
any update for us on what was the cel problem? i have just had cel on my car by have not had it read for code yet. thanks
Old 11-10-2007, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by theboogers
any update for us on what was the cel problem? i have just had cel on my car by have not had it read for code yet. thanks
You need to read the code and go from there,it could be anything.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:29 PM
Administrator

Drives Slowly
Originally Posted by theboogers
The CEL was resolved. It was not related to the airbox or install.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
No CEL...Here everything fits OK...except I still working on how to fit CF cover without braking something...I already scrached the tubes trying to do so

Last edited by E55 RUSS; 11-11-2007 at 03:17 PM.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E 55
The CEL was resolved. It was not related to the airbox or install.
Dam there goes me picking one up dirt cheap. I has hoping you would eventually crack under pressure before it got resolved.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:57 PM
Administrator

Drives Slowly
Hi Albert,

The box is not currently installed on my car. I'm going to give it one more shot and if I'm not happy with the results.............................well, you are at the top of the list for my next giveaway.