W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Attn.E55/E63 who haveMSW wheels/Snows from TireRack, HELP !!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63, SL 550 Sport,C63 Coupe On the Way!!
Attn.E55/E63 who haveMSW wheels/Snows from TireRack, HELP !!!!!

I have the MSW Type 12's with Dunlop Winter Sports tires I installed them on the 9th of December and haven’t driven the car much since I was traveling.

Now the roads are dry and since Monday the entire car shakes and shimmy’s all over at speeds of 50MPH and up. Steering wheel, seats and under the car BAD.

Now these MSW wheels had a black plastic centering ring and the Tire Rack told me they road forced each wheel and tire prior to shipping.

Now since it’s coming from the front and rear the cause is this wheel and tire package. I called Tire Rack today and they are overnight shipping me aluminum centering rings to see if this helps. Otherwise they told me I need to take it to a shop with a GSp Hunter Balancer and have each wheel checked for run out and other stuff I didn’t quite understand. They also told me it would be at my expense; this is total BS isn’t it? I called 3 shops and they told me they charge $50 per wheel since they are 18 inch. That’s $200 plus tax, just not fair.

I want to hear some suggestions, any one know about the plastic centering rings causing this problem? I do know when I put them on the wheels had a hard time fitting on my hubs it was a struggle they weren’t like the OEM wheels in that they would not sit snug for me to grab the lugnuts they kept falling off.

I may bolt the OEM wheels back in the morning which is a total waste of my time until this gets settled.

I also played with various PSI settings today, no help whatsoever.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:06 PM

'12 ML350
Sorry to read about your troubles...

Usually, a tire balancing problem shows up within a very specific range of speed (e.g. 45-55 MPH), and then disappears above or below the said range.

However, if in your case it is true that ALL FOUR are out of balance, then all bets are off.

I didn't have any problem with the centering ring after installation of my MSWs and driving on local streets and highways at speeds up to ~70 MPH - but then again my wife rear ended someone with the car the day after I had the wheels mounted so I've not driven it since 6 December!

I would try the tire shop with the Hunter machines to see if it indeed is a balancing issue and if yes, pay it up front and take it up with the Tire Rack customer service.

The invoice from TR usually notes that balancing is included in the mounting and if extra out of pocket expense was needed to balance the tires, then you have a good case for their customer service department to compensate you for your troubles/expenses.

BTW, I've used both aluminum and plastic centering rings on wheels for both my street cars and track cars and never had a problem with either one so am not sure how much of a difference switching to aluminum rings would help.

BTW, I've once experienced a set of Pirelli WinterSport tires where two tires REFUSED to balance despite repeated attempts. Only after working with the tire shop - a really great tire shop where I used to live - did they use road balance while the wheels/tires are on the car and found that the tires had irregularities where normal balancing procedure wouldn't work, even with their imported Italian Cem balancing machines.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:06 PM

Thanks I just couldnt imagine that the guys at the Tire Rack would let all 4 wheels go with higher road force than normal. But today anything is possible.

I dont think I can have them checked tom with the Holiday so I may just throw the OEm wheels back on for the weekend.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:53 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 s65. Ford Excursion 6.0. Pontiac GTO convertible. Porsche 944 Turbo SCCA car. Wife-E550 and 968
Last benz I had a similar issue with the Borbet rims, turns out the tire shop installed the MB wheel bolts, not the Borbet wheel bolts, and my wheels almost fell off the car. I also had the wheels rebalanced, because they were off from the Tirerack. I don't know about the centering problem, however. Luckily my MSW type 12s are vibration-free. Good luck!
Old 12-21-2007, 08:45 AM

2005 E55 Black / Black Every available option except Sat radio
Odds are something is wrong with the rims.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:37 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
SL 500
I ordered the type 14 rims and Blizarks and have had them on for about a month with no problems - they run true and smooth. These rims also came with the rubber centering piece.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:15 PM

C55 R1200R ML500 R320BT
I too bought the MSW rims and Dunlops with the plastic hub ring and have had zero problems!

John
Old 12-21-2007, 06:20 PM

tire rack sent me new rings in aluminum and they are the wrong size. Iam away in NJ for the Holiday and had a Goodyear shop check the car, all 4 were out of balance by several ounces.

Cost me $88 I will take this up with Customer Service next week, havent driven on highway yet will know more Saturday
Old 12-26-2007, 12:05 PM

Well my problem has yet to be solved and 3 called to the Tire Rack customer service department and they are not helping one bit. They have been arrogant and rude and I told them if you dont settle this I am shipping them back and charging back the charge on my AMEX. I said to them where is your customer support, I am so shocked that this is the service I am recieving after spending so much with them for the last 10 years.

Terrible service and now they want me to go to another shop and get more readouts on the rim and tire which = more time wasted and more $$$. This is a joke.