Valve Body?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 RRS ; BMW K1200R; 14 E350 ; 14 RRS on order
Valve Body?

The check engine light came on last week a day after I had a transmission glitch (the car felt like it was in Neurtal while in drive until restarted). Anyway, dealer calls me back today to tell me the Valve Body needs to be replaced and it's on order, earliest on monday.

Pardon my utter ignorance, but what part are they refering to? He said it was part of the transmission, the only valves I knew of are engine related.

Looks like my transmission has also gone the way of others.

On an unrelated note (I hope), I got the new filters from Vadim, but due to rain and the check engine haven't been able to really put them to test. Anyone notice a difference?
Old 12-26-2007, 05:27 PM

2003 E55 AMG
Hey man, the valve body is just inside the bottom of the transmission when you remove the pan. It does not have any "working" valves like a engine works like you are thinking. It has various grooves and holes that route fluid through them to engage and release diff. functions of the transmission. Some trans guru's get in there and start modding them and if they dont know what they are doing they can really cause alot of problems!!! Replacing the stock unit for another should not be a really tough job, just draining the fluid, pulling the pan, and a couple bolts that hold the v/b in place and whatever mechanism that operates the shifter will sometimes need disconnecting. I would not worry that much about it, it sounds like its way worse than what you think. I wouldnt sweat it.....hope this helps understand a lil better

Btw, just saw where you were getting warrentied at the dealer, no big deal. shouldnt take them more than a day once they get the part!!!
Old 12-26-2007, 05:47 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,444 Likes on 3,154 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by TREZ63
car felt like it was in Neurtal while in drive until restarted
FYI transmission is in "limp-home mode"

dealer calls me back today to tell me the Valve Body needs to be replaced - what part are they refering to?
valve body = electrohydraulic control unit

FYI If any other members experience 722.9 transmission limp-home mode characteristics mention:

(1) DTB P-B-27.60/88a JAN07 both the clutch and valve body will be inspected, replaced if necessary
(2) P-B-27.00/102 NOV07 particulate found in the transmission oil pan, transmission and torque converter should be replaced
Old 12-26-2007, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 RRS ; BMW K1200R; 14 E350 ; 14 RRS on order
Thanks guys. In the meantime they "upgraded me" to a c-class rental. I wonder if they know the definition of an upgrade.

particulate found in the transmission oil pan
LOL, in my case that'll probably be large chunks of metal grated off when I dropshift and floor it almost every day.

btw, will they have to drain my oil to do any of this work? Cause I was hoping to get a free oil change out of this deal
Old 12-26-2007, 06:40 PM

2003 E55 AMG
C class upgrade, well atleast you have a loaner, better than nothin!!!! BTW, the trans. fluid system is self contained and it has no effect on engine oil even if they have to pull the trans completly for converter or fluid service.....sorry, aint gonna happen unless they just feel nice for some wierd reason Good luck with the repairs!!!
Old 12-26-2007, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by konigstiger
FYI transmission is in "limp-home mode"

valve body = electrohydraulic control unit

FYI If any other members experience 722.9 transmission limp-home mode characteristics mention:

(1) DTB P-B-27.60/88a JAN07 both the clutch and valve body will be inspected, replaced if necessary
(2) P-B-27.00/102 NOV07 particulate found in the transmission oil pan, transmission and torque converter should be replaced

I had that problem on my 05 CLK 500 when it was 2000miles...... car went almost dead on freeway and I was pissed and raised quite a hell to dealer when they told me "I might not have a loaner for you".

Now my e63 is having that feeling (shifting is kinda jerky on 3rd-4th). I won't be surprised if the valve go boom again.

p.s. at that time, the service rep told me "Don't worry, it won't takes long. We have seen quite many of them with this problem, we have parts here.
POS 7spd.....
Old 12-26-2007, 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
The check engine light came on last week a day after I had a transmission glitch (the car felt like it was in Neurtal while in drive until restarted). Anyway, dealer calls me back today to tell me the Valve Body needs to be replaced and it's on order, earliest on monday.

Pardon my utter ignorance, but what part are they refering to? He said it was part of the transmission, the only valves I knew of are engine related.

Looks like my transmission has also gone the way of others.

On an unrelated note (I hope), I got the new filters from Vadim, but due to rain and the check engine haven't been able to really put them to test. Anyone notice a difference?
Have em check the Intake Manifold Gaskets as well, mine just failed. Dam I got a sweet Mars red C230 sport with AMG tips.. we shoulda raced

P-B-09.20/26A
parts 156-141-03-80
Old 12-26-2007, 09:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL65
It's not just the 7 speed. The 5 speed on my E55 did the same thing, needed new valve body.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Thanks guys. In the meantime they "upgraded me" to a c-class rental. I wonder if they know the definition of an upgrade.

LOL, in my case that'll probably be large chunks of metal grated off when I dropshift and floor it almost every day.

btw, will they have to drain my oil to do any of this work? Cause I was hoping to get a free oil change out of this deal
Was it at least a Sports version of the C-Class