Sponsored by:

Pulley Removal and Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 08:42 PM

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
2006 E55
Pulley Removal and Install

It would not surprise me if this was the 1,000 time this topic has been posted...

I am ready to pull the trigger on a 178mm ASP Pulley (christmas present from my wife)!

My mechanical shop has done some investigation and heard that removing the pulley will cause damage (I will be removing the pulley in the August timeframe and selling it, a 160 thermo, and Johnson Pump). Thier source even went as far as to tell them that "many people have bought used pulley's and have had problems". So, needless to say it is undesirable if they get damaged on removal for then mine is useless for resale and I have to re-buy a stock one.

I have never heard this before (forum discussion or discussions with anyone live). Has anyone had damaged - or hear of any damage - a pulley on removal before?

Also, any recommendations on where to go to get someone who has a pulley removal/install tool (pulley puller)?

Thanks!

TK
Old 12-20-2007, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Find another shop.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:32 PM

2006 E55
Originally Posted by Jrocket
Find another shop.
On the surface LOL!

However, "better safe than sorry" is not a bad approach. Plus, it does show some "due dilligence" on their behalf. I am not sure if they are still interested in doing the work...

I will look into options at another import specialty shop around town.

TK
Old 12-20-2007, 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
If a shop told me they think its bad to take off a crank pulley,I'd run not walk from that place.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
2 issues going on here....

First

There is concern among higher ups....VRUS included about REPEATED removal and install of a crank pulley. Benz really didn't plan on the pulley flying on and off her many times, but certainly the removal and install of one pulley is not going to hurt anything. I am on my 4th pulley with no problems yet so it can be done though. (stock to Kleemann to ASP to EVOTECH) see below why no more ASP.

Some quick info for ya though. Make sure you buy another crank bolt. They are stretch bolts and not recommended for reuse on install.

Also, the crank key, the crank key, the crank key.....did I say that enough. If they do not have the pulley installed correctly and damage the crank key, you have just bought yourself literally 20,000$ in bottom end parts. Benz doesn't sell cranks. They sell cranks, with pistons, with rods...get the point?

If you are not comfortable having these guys do the install, look around for another shop.

2nd

There have been issues with ASP pulleys in the past. Namely MINE and the C32 guys!! They welded the pulley on backwards and ask any of the guys. I was near nervous breakdown wondering why I shredded belt after belt.

However, it seems they actually have their act together now and we have not had any problems lately. I would NOT buy a used ASP for that reason alone.

ASP really is the cheapest game in town buy once you buy it, you'll know why. It is quite ugly and the welds are terrifying. For another grand ( I know, I know A GRAND??) you could have a VRP or EVOTECH which are both very very high quality pulleys.

Only concern I ever have with the ASP is that with the pulley looking so bad weld wise, what type of quality was put into the precision balancing needed to keep your crank from being damaged. It's just a question from a former owner.

Again, some of the fastest guys in the US run with ASP. Think Mr RFLOW still does and loves his.

Hope I could help with some info.

Any other questions, ask away.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:57 AM

2004 E55 AMG, 2002 Porsche 996 TT, 2004 BMW x5 4.8is, 2004 F360
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
2 issues going on here....

Hope I could help with some info.

You certainly have. Looks like I'll be going with a VRP or Evotech pulley.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
I have the ASP and yep it looks like a dog, rusts up like a dog - so it must be a dog?

I really like the Evotech at 178mm gives fractionally more boost looks like a quality product compared to the ASP at 175mm. Victor's pulley is also very nice - but I prefer not to have the MB tech getting too distracted in terms of noticing add ons for waranty etc...

The pulley goes straight on to the crank... so when you bolting and unbolting stuff directly to/from the crank - you naturally get a little nervous.

But then again that crank is one strong piece of steel. The bolt will sheer long before the crank is damaged I would think. If its sheered tho you could be in sticky situation trying to extract it.

The tool used to re-re the pulley can be found here

http://www.zdmak.com/wbstore/main.as...h=&LowCt=0&PG=

Same aslo available here...

http://www.mercedesshop.com/diy/mb_t...ols.php?page=7

and another type here

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merce...ayphotohosting

Can really recommend the zdmak one - has interchangable bolts on the tips to use for the 113 & 112 motor. Tool as it comes fits 100% on the E55 pulley.

There is a chrome vandium one for around $150 if you feel you want to spend more money, but I dont see why ... I cannot find that link.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:58 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by MNM5ETR
On the surface LOL!

However, "better safe than sorry" is not a bad approach. Plus, it does show some "due dilligence" on their behalf. I am not sure if they are still interested in doing the work...

I will look into options at another import specialty shop around town.

TK
No, he is serious. You say a little caution is good. I say not knowing EVERYTHING about what you are doing on this install can cost your engine.

If done right, this is one of the simplest bolt on mods to install. But, if a single mistake is made, your crankshaft and potentially engine is toast.

GO TO ANOTHER SHOP. DO NOT DO IT AT ANY SHOP THAT HAS NOT DONE IT BEFORE. The concern is that your shop should have been fully aware of the upgrade. They should know that the risk is in the install and not in the product. If they got scared about their install abilities, then you are crazy to let them "give it the old shot" on your car.

Do a search on me and Creative. There are others as well, but I will only speak for myself for now.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:24 AM

2006 E55
Thanks to everyone for the feedback!

TK
Old 12-21-2007, 01:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL65
This is not really rocket science. I would think almost any mechanic could do this. I've never been a mechanic or worked in a shop and I did it, as have several other members here on this board.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by waxking1
This is not really rocket science. I would think almost any mechanic could do this. I've never been a mechanic or worked in a shop and I did it, as have several other members here on this board.
ditto.

I took both of my AMG's to a local shop.. (ghetto) side of town.

The guy who did the install.. does even speak english very well.. but he knew exactly what I wanted to do.

Also, I was standing under neath the car as they worked on my pullies for my C32 an E55.

best if you print out the countless pictures and DIY write ups and have a game plan and coach them through it.

this is not rocket science.. any trained mechanic works on these things on a dialy basis.

MB and AMG cars are no different.. except that people charge more.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:37 PM

2004 S55 AMG
+1. I did mine also over the weekend. The pulley was a pain to remove but like the previous posters said its not rocket science. If you have help and you need help, it a simple DIY.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55

True,it's not science at all,BUT,the front engine cover does block the view of the key way on the crank somewhat.Its possible,and some have,had the key not sit in the key way properly during install of the pulley.Also proper tq sequence is needed,plus a new bolt.

A qualified tech can handle this with no problem,but if a shop has to question the job from the beginning...then thats when I'd run.Its a cut and dry job,either you can and have done it,or not.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:24 PM

CL65
Jrocket,
I agree about running from a shop that's not sure if they can do it.

Shaun,
How are you liking the new pulley?
Old 12-21-2007, 05:37 PM

2004 S55 AMG
Shaun,
How are you liking the new pulley?[/QUOTE]

Hey Randy,

Can't beat going sideway at 40mph. Freaked my brother inlaw out yesterday with the test drive. Thanks for the pulley holder.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 AMG
So I've read about a 168mm, 175mm, and a 178mm pulley...which one gives you the most boost? Is there one that gives you more horsepower than the others (I seem to recall the ASPs were popular due to higher HPs albeit with ugliness included).

And what about Vrus'? That red is smokin' hawt!
Old 12-21-2007, 10:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by I Like Soup
So I've read about a 168mm, 175mm, and a 178mm pulley...which one gives you the most boost? Is there one that gives you more horsepower than the others (I seem to recall the ASPs were popular due to higher HPs albeit with ugliness included).

And what about Vrus'? That red is smokin' hawt!
Bigger the pulley(MM),the more the boost,but at a cost.The more boost,the more need to control the IAT's,and also harder to do so.Specially in the summer heat.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:48 PM

CL65
Originally Posted by Shaun
Can't beat going sideway at 40mph. Freaked my brother inlaw out yesterday with the test drive. Thanks for the pulley holder.
Its never as much fun in the passenger seat. With that big pulley you may need some more cooling.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:41 PM

2004 S55 AMG
Its never as much fun in the passenger seat. With that big pulley you may need some more cooling.

The S55 has the an extra heat exchanger, so I just changed out the pump to the johnson cm30.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
The S55 has the an extra heat exchanger, so I just changed out the pump to the johnson cm30.

I think that's a.k.a. the RT cooling upgrade

Notice any difference with the CM30? I could see if your OEM was dead, but I was sort of assuming no difference other than reliability.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:54 AM

2004 S55 AMG
Originally Posted by jangy
I think that's a.k.a. the RT cooling upgrade

Notice any difference with the CM30? I could see if your OEM was dead, but I was sort of assuming no difference other than reliability.
Jangy,

I really don't feel a difference because I have never had the supercharger cut off as many here has. The only reason I changed out was to have a little more insurance since it flows more that OEM.
Old 12-25-2007, 12:22 AM

2006 E55
After a little poking around I think I have found someone to do the work but still not sure if qualified (recommended by fellow car guy with a 996TT w/608 hp @ wheels) ...

Sounds like this cat has done the following (a few highlights):

Installed a custom TT Kit on a 07 Mustang
Installed Superchargers on multiple cars
Took the engine out of a 996 GT2, various perfomrmace mods, and replaced the clutch.

I have rolled witht these guys before (met them at the track). The GT2 is faster than a supercharged Viper (that ran a 10.85), the 996 TT runs 11.01, and my closest match (C6 Z06) just visited a mod shop in the south for heads, cam, intake, and headers (apparently 585 HP @ the wheels). So, my "move" on the pulley is just for improved personal 1/4 time. So, this still begs the question; do you think (LOL ) he can handle a pulley removal/ install???

Also, the "source" that my mechanical shop spoke with was Kleeman...

TK

Last edited by BlackHammer; 12-25-2007 at 12:29 AM.
Old 12-25-2007, 12:35 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Jangy,

I really don't feel a difference because I have never had the supercharger cut off as many here has. The only reason I changed out was to have a little more insurance since it flows more that OEM.
Understood. Mine hasn't shut off, either. I thought the CM30 was about the same flow as OEM, but with better reliability. Does anyone know the percentage flow increase? Is it worth not having to make the CM90 fit? I was planning on splitting the systems AND using the CM90.
Old 12-25-2007, 12:44 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Let's see how to put this. The pulley for our car is the pandora's box. Best case scenario, you spend $1250 + $100 install and an hour later you are blasting down the road with an extra 50hp. Worst case, your motor is toast. The fine line between best and worst cases is very very very thin. The best you can do is minimize your risks and move on. You are doing your diligence. I would suggest doing a search on the shop and also checking with the BBB. Had I done those two things, my life would be competely different. The signs are there, just don't be blind to them.
If they are not a straight MB trained facility, then really experience with pulleys is what I look for and not really how nice of cars they have worked on. Installing SCs is a good sign. Working on the Ford 5.4L blown engine is as well.
If you go with a non-MB shop, make sure you relay the proper TQ technique and provide them with a new stretch bolt from your dealer for the install.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:39 PM

2006 E55
Originally Posted by jangy
Let's see how to put this. The pulley for our car is the pandora's box. Best case scenario, you spend $1250 + $100 install and an hour later you are blasting down the road with an extra 50hp. Worst case, your motor is toast. The fine line between best and worst cases is very very very thin. The best you can do is minimize your risks and move on. You are doing your diligence. I would suggest doing a search on the shop and also checking with the BBB. Had I done those two things, my life would be competely different. The signs are there, just don't be blind to them.
If they are not a straight MB trained facility, then really experience with pulleys is what I look for and not really how nice of cars they have worked on. Installing SCs is a good sign. Working on the Ford 5.4L blown engine is as well.
If you go with a non-MB shop, make sure you relay the proper TQ technique and provide them with a new stretch bolt from your dealer for the install.
Thanks, also found out today this individual put a different pulley on a Ford GT, too.

Hopefully Pandora's box treats me well!

TK

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pulley Removal and Install