W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

amg to lambo?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL65 AMG
amg to lambo?

Have any of you guys gone from amg to gallardo? What are your thoughts etc? I am not sure if I want to give up some comfort and power/speed for the exotic looks and sounds of the lambo gallardo? For those that have made the switch has the lambo needed to go to the shop more then the amg? I have no lambo dealer near me and the amg has only seen the shop once or twice.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
yes

there is one member that went from a slk55 to a cls55 to a gallardo.

Look for him in the CLS or SLK boards you might able to find his contact info.

DO it! of course you will need to get it Twin Turbo'd!
Old 12-27-2007, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL65
Originally Posted by SLK55R
there is one member that went from a slk55 to a cls55 to a gallardo.

Look for him in the CLS or SLK boards you might able to find his contact info.

DO it! of course you will need to get it Twin Turbo'd!
Dinko is the one you seek.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 RRS ; BMW K1200R; 14 E350 ; 14 RRS on order
Originally Posted by bfnnrgn
Dinko is the one you seek.
+1

He was super happy at first, not sure about now, he hasn't been around much lately. He got this killer green colored one.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
My dad went from...

SL55
Porsche 997TT and Bent GTC
750Li and Bent GTC
750Li and Gallardo

He said its completely unrealistic to own a Gallardo as a daily driver unless you just love putting on a show or you're insane (like me). He couldn't stand the 997TT as a daily driver either so thats why he got the 750Li. He says that the SL55 was a great compromise between performance, luxury, and daily driveability.

With that said, it depends on the roads you travel. I have seat time in the above mentioned cars and if you drive mostly on highways and don't have to worry about hills, potholes, etc then you could drive the Gallardo as a DD. As far as feel goes, the Gallardo feels truly special. The SL55 felt like my CLK500, just more planted and much faster.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:03 PM

SL65 AMG
This would not be a dd as I have one of those. I have driven an 6spd gallardo and an egear gallardo on a road course. The feel very fast and sound and look great but do not have the hp/speed of the sl65 I own. I have looked at the tt kits and at 60k it adds up. Just wonder if the exotic feel wears off and if the cars are hard to maintain etc.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:28 PM
LZH
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
If you're looking to bridge the luxury/performance gap, stick with AMG for driveability and get a CLK 63 BLACK SERIES. There was a Heffner Gallardo at the track with me one day, twin turbo. He would pull on me in the straights, but I was all over him under braking and turns - not to mention it was very hot and the Lambo overheated every 10 laps when driven hard.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:54 PM

2003 e55
its a gallardo, just get it.. oh yea.. make sure it doesnt catch on fire on u...
Old 12-27-2007, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
new balance
only way to get one is if you send it straight to heffner, you got the cake man just pull the trig
Old 12-27-2007, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Formula Mazda, Beast Junior...400HP 135i
The Gallardo is a great drivable exotic that you can use around town and on short hops without making yourself crazy. Also pretty fun at the track. How can you beat German engineering and an Italian skin?!

I personally think the Gallardo is a great choice and one that I am considering against the GT2 as my next "toy". I just recently sold my GT3 (one of the finest street cars I have ever owned) because as much as I loved it, I couldn't take it anywhere where parking or entrance was an issue due to ground clearance. Not to mention that it would often bottom the front lip out in a straight line on rough pavement at 35MPH! No fault of the car, just the realities of the roads around where I live. Then there was the Ferrari that I had to drive in the garage at n angle, and the Lotus that wouldn't go in the garage at all, and the.... So while I am a track driver, not being able to use your street car gets old quickly! It is not likely that I will buy another non drivable exotic in the near future as I have owned too many of those that only accumulated 1500 miles per year.

What I am getting at is that the Gallardo falls into a small group of exotics that you can actually drive and enjoy driving which is great if you want something more than eye candy or a track car.

If you are asking if you can handle a Gallardo, that is another question altogether. The Lambo is not a tough car to drive and the AWD makes it very predictable but if you cross over the limit, it will be very hard to get back unless you know what you were doing. So on that note, buy one, take it to the track, and get some instruction and you will be just fine.

As to shop time, I have had AMG cars that have spent as much or more time there then a Gallardo so it is really luck of the draw. They are reliable cars (with the exception of some early ignition issues that have been fixed) for exotics but will have issues that need to be addressed. In general, they are not as reliable as a Porsche but more so then a Ferrari or Lotus.

BTW, Keep the AMG as your daily driver! Mine has snows on it.

Last edited by Blacksport350; 12-27-2007 at 06:09 PM.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
Originally Posted by BiTurboAmg
Have any of you guys gone from amg to gallardo? What are your thoughts etc? I am not sure if I want to give up some comfort and power/speed for the exotic looks and sounds of the lambo gallardo? For those that have made the switch has the lambo needed to go to the shop more then the amg? I have no lambo dealer near me and the amg has only seen the shop once or twice.
man if only i could afford a lambo! well i could but id have to sell both my cars then id be stuck with a lambo as a DD. F that. If i was spending your money Id wait for the SL63 black series. if not get a lambo while you are waiting.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:21 PM

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
2006 E55
Love the Gallardo's. Awesome "BAM" cars (lots of show).
Friend of mine has one and have raced him a lot from various speeds.
Bottom line is I ran with (or be ahead) him from various speeds until about 90 mph (same story as a Z06) then they pull away. The interesting thing is he could never launch his from a dead stop (I am good) with the E-Gear. Net is it took him to 110+ to pass me...

Clearly, you are after more than straight line speed (keep in mind this E55 forum is all about "straight"!).

If I was to make a move on "an exotic" I would do something else. GT2's are awesome and can be easily tuned to be REALLY FAST.

Good luck!

TK
Old 12-27-2007, 06:25 PM

SL65 AMG
Originally Posted by E55JAY
only way to get one is if you send it straight to heffner, you got the cake man just pull the trig
Thats alot of cake though and I wonder how modding a car so much will take its toll later. His lambos seem to be bullet proof so far but I wonder if cracking that motor open and slapping some twins on it will kill the resale. I also want to know if the suspension, tranny and awd system can handle that power and for how long?
Old 12-27-2007, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Although lambos do look very exotic and will attract a lot of attention, I just can't imagine driving them day after day as a daily driver. I think they'd be fun as "weekend" cars, but just not as a daily driver.

I would definately chose a CLK Black Series or wait until the new SL Black Series to come out
Old 12-27-2007, 09:25 PM

14 SLS Black Series, 09 SL65 AMG Black Series, 15 G63 AMG, 15 Ferrari Speciale, 16 GTR Nismo
i've had an E55, CLS55, M5 and gallardo coupe in the past 2 years. i currently own an E63, CLK63 Black Series, and a gallardo spyder. the only AMG that will drive and feel like a gallardo is the Black Series. a gallardo would be a tough daily drive (not that it's hard to drive), but all the attention it brings...and where will you park it? i only take the gallardo out where i know parking is good or where i can tip the valet a twenty and park it myself upfront.

if you can pick one up as a weekend/night call, go for it. but if it's going to replace your AMG...well, it's probably not the best thing to do. but, there's something to be said about driving a lambo...it puts a smile on my face everytime!
Old 12-28-2007, 12:10 PM

CLS 55
I had a Gallardo, and it is not a car that I would ever drive every day! It was fun to cruise around in on weekends, but that's about it.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:29 PM

2003 e55
theres actually a guy around here.. very very young guy, owns a orange murciellago(twin turbo), a limegreen murciellago, and a srt10 truck.. he lives in a apartment complex with a camera facing out his porch watching them, but anyways, i have heard from people that he daily drives those lambos, and everytime i see him driving by, which is alllll the time, its always the green one and he always seems happy.. well i guess, some people likes the DD lambo attention
Old 12-28-2007, 03:44 PM

CLS 55
Originally Posted by III II I I AMG
theres actually a guy around here.. very very young guy, owns a orange murciellago(twin turbo), a limegreen murciellago, and a srt10 truck.. he lives in a apartment complex with a camera facing out his porch watching them, but anyways, i have heard from people that he daily drives those lambos, and everytime i see him driving by, which is alllll the time, its always the green one and he always seems happy.. well i guess, some people likes the DD lambo attention
I don't know how in the hell someone could daily drive a Murcialago! My buddy had one that used to drive sometimes, and it was a beating! The G was much better, but still not DD material in my opinion!
Old 12-28-2007, 03:52 PM

SL65 AMG
where did all you guys get that this would be a DD? I even made a point to say not a dd.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:55 PM

CLS 55
where did all you guys get that this would be a DD? I even made a point to say not a dd.
Beats me! I was just following the herd!
Old 12-28-2007, 08:34 PM

2004 E55 AMG
if you are getting a gallardo go for the spyder. I didn't like the drivers seating position when I sat one. the car felt small and closed in. with the top gone the car will feel more roomy. plus the sound will be sooooo good you will need to pack an extra set of draws to keep your seat dry.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:13 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
It depends on where you live, and what you do, or where you work. Lots of people in my area have Gallardos and they use them as a daily driver. They are very easy cars to drive. I would use it as a daily driver if i got one.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:40 AM

GT3
The Gallardo is definitely not practical as a daily driver. Its fun and sexy, but should be enjoyed in short intervals on weekends. I went from the Gallardo to E63. All I can say is I look at the Gallardo as an expensive toy you have to worry about every minute. If you can own both a Gallardo and a nice luxury car, fine, but if not you will get tired of it very quickly. Feel free to pm me if you would like my opinion on the Gallardo. I love the car, just not practical Hope this helps.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:57 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Jude.... Nooooooooooooooooooo........

Don't do it buddy... Let us put on the first part of VR1000 on the SL and then see if you fall in love again..