MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W211 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg-81/)
-   -   Puff of smoke from tailpipe? (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/240796-puff-smoke-tailpipe.html)

Coalman 04-20-2008 11:53 PM

Puff of smoke from tailpipe?

How many of you have ever experienced a puff of smoke from the tailpipe of your E55 after you start up the car then turn it off and then start it up a few minutes later? This has happened to me maybe 2 or 3 times in past three years. Could I have gotten some bad gas or does it sound like a more serious problem? Car runs fine after smoke clears and there is no smoke problem afterwards.

III II I I AMG 04-21-2008 03:07 AM

well, when my car is cold.. and i start driving it in the morning.. every stop light i stop at.. theres a tonnnn of smoke that comes out of my tailpipe... i only got a resonator delete.. so im hoping thats normal too

kip 04-21-2008 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by Coalman (Post 2778168)
How many of you have ever experienced a puff of smoke from the tailpipe of your E55 after you start up the car then turn it off and then start it up a few minutes later? This has happened to me maybe 2 or 3 times in past three years. Could I have gotten some bad gas or does it sound like a more serious problem? Car runs fine after smoke clears and there is no smoke problem afterwards.

I have a stock car. Never any kind of smoke... When I took pictures of the car with a cold engine, there waseven no vapor visible in the picture. Maybe its the gas, I only use 98 octane...

stevebez 04-21-2008 04:01 AM

98 Octane and I get a very occasional puff at start up only ... and then the water vapour as she heats up...

Curious as to where it could be coming from but perhaps its the oil vapours making the roundtrip round through the induction system and after standing for a while she puffs out... I cannot think of another reason especially given the infrequency of it.

corgiman 04-21-2008 10:11 AM

I have the occasional puff as well.

CynCarvin32 04-21-2008 04:57 PM

Happened to my E55 and happens with my SL55.

I was detailing the SL this weekend and every time I turned it on to move it forward or backwards it would send out a plume of blue smoke. My tech says its normal but I might take it in and show him just so he sees the smoke first hand.

I have had 3 55k cars and all 3 have done this so I bet its normal.

Marcus Frost 04-21-2008 05:26 PM

The V12s do this as well. It is normal... just a puff though, it should go away pretty quick after startup.

-m

gameover 05-24-2009 11:44 PM

I get this recently too in my e55. I also noticed smoke coming out when I drive it hard. Is that normal too?

CA_E55 05-25-2009 12:14 AM

Its actually not an MB or AMG thing - its caused by the exhaust emission treatment design: Whats happening is the 'cats' don't heat up to light off the converter in the brief moment the engine runs, hence unburned hydrocarbons accumulate in the converter - these will blow out in a puff of bluish smoke at the next start up of the engine.

BTW - did yo know that 95% of all engine wear is happening at engine start during the first 30 seconds?

NDF55 05-25-2009 12:28 AM

BTW - did yo know that 95% of all engine wear is happening at engine start during the first 30 seconds?[/QUOTE]

Any tips on how to prevent engine wear on startup, other than using a quality synthetic, and allowing the car to warm up properly?:nix:

CA_E55 05-25-2009 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by NDF55 (Post 3541526)
BTW - did yo know that 95% of all engine wear is happening at engine start during the first 30 seconds?

Any tips on how to prevent engine wear on startup, other than using a quality synthetic, and allowing the car to warm up properly?:nix:[/QUOTE]

Well, the obvious - but useless - answer is to keep engine startups to an absolute minimum. The only thing you can really do is what you already mentioned - use only the best oil you can buy, oils that give adequate film strength even at molecular film thickness.
Or modify your engine to copy what race engines do at start up (and e.g. Lamborghini did until recently on their V10 but interestingly dropped on the 560) i.e. run the starter for 2 - 3 seconds before dumping fuel - this will build oil pressure before loading the engine with combustion forces.

gameover 05-28-2009 03:14 AM

I was racing a cobra one day, and as i looked in the rear view mirror i noticed smoke coming out of my back end as well; thats the part i'm scared of. Has anyone you know had this problem, and/or is that not a big deal either?