W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Intercooler Coolant formulation?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 09:39 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Meth/water injection is great for cooling IAT's and raising the octane rating. Now if you could get a tune on meth, that would be killer.

Nitrous is a great way to cool too! lol

I dont know if it will fit on an E55 but why not look into the Kleemann intercooler they sell with their supercharger for NA 55's? I believe it has twice the surface area of a stock E55 intercooler.

Jangy, you do know that dry ice evaporates right? You work with the stuff, you should know that. Which takes up more space... liquid or gas? Hmmm, now add a sealed container into the equation and see what happens. It's not rocket science. You shouldn't worry yourself about this stuff, you are going super duper turbo with a bazillion hp and should go front mount air cooled intercooler. Custom turbo builds take a longgg time. MIR is only less than 5 months away! Get crackin! You should check out the turbonator, good stuff!

Last edited by blackbenzz; 06-20-2008 at 09:42 AM.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
I will only use water for the cooling, maybe add some glycol. I dont think we need to add meth (and tune) to raise octane if you can get the IAT's to drop alot...

Also these systems are not THAT expensive.

~$900 for 50degC drop in IAT's...? Thats decent I would say....

I am really curious to see what happens to IAT's on a long run with a water injection.

I am looking at mounting the jet on the elbow section just after the blower just ahead of the I/C core.... think this should get most bang for the buck here.

Last edited by stevebez; 06-20-2008 at 10:26 AM.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:58 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
Jangy, you do know that dry ice evaporates right? You work with the stuff, you should know that. Which takes up more space... liquid or gas? Hmmm, now add a sealed container into the equation and see what happens. It's not rocket science. You shouldn't worry yourself about this stuff, you are going super duper turbo with a bazillion hp and should go front mount air cooled intercooler. Custom turbo builds take a longgg time. MIR is only less than 5 months away! Get crackin! You should check out the turbonator, good stuff!
Actually, dry ice sublimates. exaporation implies a change from liquid state to gaseous state and that is not the case under ambient conditions. Now, when you close the system, the pressure builds up and helps to maintain the system. Doubting that an independent cooling setup with dry ice won't work is preety off, since we already have many of these setups for other cooling requirements. All I am trying to figure out is if it could be used in this case to help. No, it is not rocket science. It is cryoscience and its been around for years.

Been there and done that with the sprays. First, they are no where near as effective as what I am after and second, I do not want a race only setup.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
new balance
again you seem to have all the answers, so I cant wait to see your system.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:03 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Ummm jangy, i'm a scientist, you dont need to teach me about sublimation. Was trying to put it in simple terms for you to understand but it's still going over your head. As the dry ice sublimes it expands. WHat happens when a balloon expands too much? Simple enough for ya?
Old 06-20-2008, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E 55
Originally Posted by chiromikey
jangy, seriously listen...you CANNOT run dry ice in a sealed/pressurized system. i don't want to see you try something stupid and get hurt.
He would have to run something similar to our set-up us were the reservoir is vented fuel cell, for track use only.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:24 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
Ummm jangy, i'm a scientist, you dont need to teach me about sublimation. Was trying to put it in simple terms for you to understand but it's still going over your head. As the dry ice sublimes it expands. WHat happens when a balloon expands too much? Simple enough for ya?
Sorry about that, I've been a little tense with the East coast dragsters of late. Yes, you would build pressure, but if the system can contain that pressure, it would push the dry ice back into a solid state. In the past, we had to have very small particles so that they could be injected through a small needle, and there are plenty of high pressure pumps that run off of 12 volts.

Just thinking is all. I'm down for a different formulation, too or even a bottled version. I just don't want to spend money on a larger HE, pump, etc. to want more. Why not fabricate something now?
Old 06-21-2008, 12:28 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by E55JAY
again you seem to have all the answers, so I cant wait to see your system.
Again, no I don't but I am also not looking for the mainstream answer. As stated in the original post, I was asking for help from anyone with experience at it, not anyone that hasn't tried it.

Classy babe, classy!! . You can say you aren't sore, but it seems that a run with witnesses has you down?
Old 06-21-2008, 12:31 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by rflow306
He would have to run something similar to our set-up us were the reservoir is vented fuel cell, for track use only.
I dunno if it will be pressure vented or contained. I'm scared to try pressure vented, since i was hoping to run at least 50% alcohol and it would evaporate so fast.

Another way is to just have a liquid nitrogen tank and regulator sowly "leak" onto the HE??
Old 06-21-2008, 07:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

new balance
Originally Posted by jangy
You can say you aren't sore, but it seems that a run with witnesses has you down?
Classy? I think youre mistaken. Im not here to show you class, Im here to take you to class. Im still trying to figure out what there is for me to be sore about. If youre referring to your run with that Z06, there couldnt be anything more comical. If thats what youre proud of man you have more issues then whats already evident. Probably your single largest accomplishment to date? I would be personally embarrassed to say I "beat" that car, but yeah I know that one went over your head too. There are some concrete retaining walls that run the length of the track at MIR, if you run another 12sec 1/4 mile in the 112's i suggest you make a hard left at the end of the track instead of a right to exit. Arent your numbers worse then stock, yeah what an accomplishment.

Last edited by JAYCL600; 06-21-2008 at 08:35 AM.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:07 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Classy? I think youre mistaken. Im not here to show you class, Im here to take you to class. Im still trying to figure out what there is for me to be sore about. If youre referring to your run with that Z06, there couldnt be anything more comical. If thats what youre proud of man you have more issues then whats already evident. Probably your single largest accomplishment to date? I would be personally embarrassed to say I "beat" that car, but yeah I know that one went over your head too. There are some concrete retaining walls that run the length of the track at MIR, if you run another 12sec 1/4 mile in the 112's i suggest you make a hard left at the end of the track instead of a right to exit. Arent your numbers worse then stock, yeah what an accomplishment.

Same old song and dance. I moved on a long time ago, you may want to give it a shot. Keep schooling, bro..... you may actually screw up and end up helping me. I've never doubted your knowledge or standing on this board. After all, I've been here a while, too and was part of the cheering audience that has always been interested in what you guys are up to. It isn't even an issue that we disagree on something or that you think I am just lying and boasting to feel good on this forum (of all places). Some people just disagree. What I don't get and why i ask if you are sore is why you turned it so personal and continue down that path, even AFTER you got all of your outside info. As you say keep it stupid, so here goes:

1 - I post that I played with a Z06 and was surprised that it did not seem as untouchable as i had been led to believe. Response is basically that it is untouchable and that I am an idiot or a liar. OK, not much to argue or prove there.

2 - I show up to an organized event along with members of this forum. Also present are a number of Z06s that were LOOKING for some AMG races. They approached US talking smack. I lined up with the only stock Z06 there and won. Why? I dunno, but it really happenned. Response is that i must be a liar and that my car is slow. Not that the Z06 is slow or the CLSs or any other car at that track that day, but mine. OK, you don't like as controlled of an experiment as we can run out here given the notice and reality so bash. I can't go back and let the Vette win just so your reality remains intact.

3 - We bet $25K that I can't mod my E55 by Nov 15th enough to beat a Stock Z06 w/DRs in the 1/4 mile. Response you back down as you should. Realistically, almost any car + $25K in mods should be able to beat a stock Z06. So, why would you have made such a rookie bet, especially while you are schooling me? I really dunno, but i think you just got caught up in the moment and just have a personal issue with anyone that has a fresh idea.
Old 06-21-2008, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

new balance
You are continually clueless, like a kitten with a ball of yarn i will stop playin with you, it was fun though. Ill even let you think that I backed down because i was scared, and made a rookie bet. But if you want to know the true answer, ask your friend Vic. See ya on the 15th
Old 06-21-2008, 06:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
You are continually clueless, like a kitten with a ball of yarn i will stop playin with you, it was fun though. Ill even let you think that I backed down because i was scared, and made a rookie bet. But if you want to know the true answer, ask your friend Vic. See ya on the 15th
Why not just post it? All of the suspense is just killing me...If it really is any fun for you then by all means proceed. Dude, I don't think you are scared and at this point, I don't even care what a corvette can do. Honestly, I don't like Vettes. sorry, but I just don't. I'm sure they are nice and its only my opinion. So what? And i'm sure you and the black one have all the records shattered in the drag racing world, but again, so what? I don't discount what you are saying because I think you are ignorant, but rather because of your tone. The way you talk, we may as well just archive this room and let everyone use the search function since all the wonders in the world have already been figured out.

Tis true that Vic is my friend. A very good friend, in fact. So what?
I am not planning on attending in Nov. Why would I? Maybe you can have Jamie's stock Z06 shipped out here during one of our impromptu Fontana days??
Old 06-21-2008, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Classy? I think youre mistaken. Im not here to show you class
That much is painfully apparent.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by I Like Soup
That much is painfully apparent.
let it go bro. Thanks for the support, but these guys aren't worth it. Don't make yourself a target of the East Coast Ballers.