AMG 55/65 Owners, You Win, TCU Only...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 03:07 PM
MHP
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 C63 AMG
Exclamation AMG 55/65 Owners, You Win, TCU Only...

We have just decided (against our better judgement including that of our legal counsel) to do TCU only reflashes for AMG 55/65 variants with aftermarket ECU tunes. The TCU tune will not be as optimal as if we were to do both ECU and TCU together, but there will be a huge difference from where you are now.

With stage I TCU tuning you can expect:

1) Consistant shift points for all gears (even 1-2)

2) Stock or raised shift points

3) Quicker/Firmer shifts (reduced lag in manual mode as well)

4) Reduced TCM torque management

5) Throttle blipping/rev matched downshifts.

Before sending us your TCM you will be required to sign a liability waiver/disclaimer stating that we (MHP) are not responsible for any driveline damage incurred after the installation of our reflashed TCM whether it be engine or transmission related. That's the only way we'll do it at this point, unless you have a stock ECU.

Pricing for stage I tuning is as follows:

AMG 55s: $3500

AMG 65s: $4000

Stage II pricing (if you send us a laundry list of what you want done):

AMG 55s: $4250

AMG 65s: $4750

I'll post pricing for 600s in the near future.

You asked for it, now you have it.

Last edited by MHP; 09-23-2008 at 08:55 PM.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Better.

How about the shifter paddles? Did you guys fix the delay on that as well?
Old 09-23-2008, 04:56 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by phatmitzu
Better.

How about the shifter paddles? Did you guys fix the delay on that as well?
Yes, sorry, I'll edit that in as well.

Thanks
Andy
Old 09-23-2008, 05:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Nice, in for results on the 5 speed trans. To be honest it is a bit pricey.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 AMG
Andy,

I know this is the watered down version of your TCU tune, but do you have any idea what to expect on the hp/torque front after reducing the TCM torque management? I'm thinking you haven't played around with the 55's as much yet, but I could be wrong. Thanks!
Old 09-23-2008, 06:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E55
Have you dyno'd or track tested your ECU/TCU mods on a bone stock 55?
Old 09-23-2008, 07:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
w212 E63 / 996tt
I commend your efforts...
But, in market such as our, your pricing must be competitive or your product must be FAR superior than the others.

I too would love to see some dyno / 1/4 testing on a bone stock or even a modded 55
Old 09-23-2008, 07:08 PM

2001 clk55 AMG
Originally Posted by MHP
We have just decided (against our better judgement including that of our legal counsel) to do TCU only reflashes for AMG 55/65 variants with aftermarket ECU tunes. The TCU tune will not be as optimal as if we were to do both ECU and TCU together, but there will be a huge difference from where you are now.

With stage I TCU tuning you can expect:

1) Consistant shift points for all gears (even 1-2)

2) Stock or raised shift points

3) Quicker/Firmer shifts (reduced lag in manual mode as well)

4) Reduced TCM torque management

Before sending us your TCM you will be required to sign a liability waiver/disclaimer stating that we (MHP) are not responsible for any driveline damage incurred after the installation of our reflashed TCM whether it be engine or transmission related. That's the only way we'll do it at this point, unless you have a stock ECU.

Pricing for stage I tuning is as follows:

AMG 55s: $3500

AMG 65s: $4000

Stage II pricing (if you send us a laundry list of what you want done):

AMG 55s: $4250

AMG 65s: $4750

I'll post pricing for 600s in the near future.

You asked for it, now you have it.
why the price hike?

on bgchrysler.com its only 1400-2000 for tcu tune
Old 09-23-2008, 08:09 PM

GT-R
Originally Posted by BlackOnBlackCLK
why the price hike?

Profit...$3500 for a tranny tune is way to pricey for some firmer shifts and adjustable shift points.

Just my .02
Old 09-23-2008, 08:16 PM

E55
No throttle blipping????
Old 09-23-2008, 08:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
why the price hike?

Because this is mbworld.org...I mean really.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:36 PM

2001 clk55 AMG
Originally Posted by Timeless
Because this is mbworld.org...I mean really.
Gotcha
Old 09-23-2008, 08:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
lol wtf this is ridiculous pricing!
Old 09-23-2008, 08:54 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
why the price hike?

Dave's site needs to be updated and he's not selling directly for MBs, only through MHP.
I've said it before and evidently it needs to be said again. Our ECU/TCU tuning is custom, it's not a matter of copying code or tables from one control unit to another. TCU tuning takes a LOT of time to be done correctly.

Thanks
Old 09-23-2008, 08:54 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Stryker
No throttle blipping????
It includes throttle blipped downshifts.

I'll edit that in as well.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:59 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Honestly, if you don't like the pricing, try someone else's TCU tuning.

Anyone that complains obviously doesn't have the first clue as to what kind of work it takes to flash a TCU, otherwise you'd be in business.

What else is there to complain about? We're doing something we definitely shouldn't be by mating our TCUs to other aftermarket ECUs to appease what seemed to be a majority of owners on this site. Tomorrow there will be more gripes about something else. "Why aren't you giving your tuning away for free?"

The pricing is what it is, and will remain where it is. It may not be for everyone but then again, those with the knowledge and understanding of why our products are superior won't have a problem with the cost.

Thanks
Old 09-23-2008, 09:01 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Roseylv
I commend your efforts...
But, in market such as our, your pricing must be competitive or your product must be FAR superior than the others.

I too would love to see some dyno / 1/4 testing on a bone stock or even a modded 55
No one else in the world can flash a TCU, so not only is it superior, we're the only ones that do it.

There's a good chance we'll be tuning Rock's TCU in the next week or two. If you're on the fence just kick back.

Thanks
Old 09-23-2008, 09:11 PM

Ford 4x4, daily
wow is all i can say!

those that have an amg merc or 600 variant should have no say on what is expensive and what is not. you will lose a hell of a lot more than 4k or 6k in only 2 years of ownership with your luxury item!

if you cant afford a 5k upgrade on your 50k car you dont need, you should not be looking at any mods once so ever!
if you think their are better mods for that same 5k then say that. that is great critique. my personal feeling is that you will not have your ultimate daily driver until you fix your tcu/ecu and have them work together!

yes it is expensive but so is that car you love to drive!!!!
Old 09-23-2008, 09:34 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by richtor
wow is all i can say!

those that have an amg merc or 600 variant should have no say on what is expensive and what is not. you will lose a hell of a lot more than 4k or 6k in only 2 years of ownership with your luxury item!

if you cant afford a 5k upgrade on your 50k car you dont need, you should not be looking at any mods once so ever!
if you think their are better mods for that same 5k then say that. that is great critique. my personal feeling is that you will not have your ultimate daily driver until you fix your tcu/ecu and have them work together!

yes it is expensive but so is that car you love to drive!!!!
Are you for real? So just because a person drives a $50k car they should spend $5k on mods without questioning it? That kind of thinking is probably why you are driving a Ford Ranger. Come on man, its not a question of whether we can afford it, the question is "Is it worth it?"

And since you brought it up. You can get the trans built and modify the torque converter fort hat kind of money. Modifying the tc will help stall speed beyond that of a tune and modifying the valve body will increase line pressure therefore increasing shift firmness and speed. Not ot mention the added benefit of having a built trans to hold more power.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:36 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
Nice, in for results on the 5 speed trans. To be honest it is a bit pricey.
What's the total amount of $ you've spent on mods so far?
Old 09-23-2008, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
Are you for real? So just because a person drives a $50k car they should spend $5k on mods without questioning it? That kind of thinking is probably why you are driving a Ford Ranger. Come on man, its not a question of whether we can afford it, the question is "Is it worth it?"

And since you brought it up. You can get the trans built and modify the torque converter fort hat kind of money. Modifying the tc will help stall speed beyond that of a tune and modifying the valve body will increase line pressure therefore increasing shift firmness and speed. Not ot mention the added benefit of having a built trans to hold more power.
All I know is that CLK of yours will fly...just spot me a few car lenghts....lol!!
Old 09-23-2008, 09:38 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Yes, modding the valve body will give you hard shifts, in fact it will give you whiplash and it will shift that way all the time including part throttle. Even if you have a race car (the only scenario in which you'd want the valve body mod) you'd still need TCU tuning unleash the true potential of the motor. There's no tq management hidden in the VB, nor can you change shift points, etc.
Also being that AMG 55s are $3500 I'm not sure where you're getting $5000?
Old 09-23-2008, 09:43 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by MHP
What's the total amount of $ you've spent on mods so far?
More than I'd like to think about lol.

Originally Posted by MHP
Yes, modding the valve body will give you hard shifts, in fact it will give you whiplash and it will shift that way all the time including part throttle. Even if you have a race car (the only scenario in which you'd want the valve body mod) you'd still need TCU tuning unleash the true potential of the motor. There's no tq management hidden in the VB, nor can you change shift points, etc.
Also being that AMG 55s are $3500 I'm not sure where you're getting $5000?
Not necessarily. I have friends with modified valve bodies and they do not shift as harsh as you say. The car drives normal until you go WOT, at least thats what it felt liek to me. That being said, you are correct that changing shift points would require a TCU tune as well as torque management. I dont believe my car has any torque management. I'm not knocking your product Andy, just replying to that guys post (who mentioned $5k, not me). I applaud your efforts and hope to see great results from your products
Old 09-23-2008, 09:49 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
More than I'd like to think about lol.

Not necessarily. I have friends with modified valve bodies and they do not shift as harsh as you say. The car drives normal until you go WOT, at least thats what it felt liek to me. That being said, you are correct that changing shift points would require a TCU tune as well as torque management. I dont believe my car has any torque management. I'm not knocking your product Andy, just replying to that guys post (who mentioned $5k, not me). I applaud your efforts and hope to see great results from your products
Ahmad,

I hear that. BTDT myself.

That being said, you still aren't seeing the full potential of the mods you have because there is so much TM in the TCU. Unless it's reflashed you aren't ever going to see it.

I've personally never been in a valve body modified trans equipped vehicle that didn't shift like a bat out of hell all the time. Again that's just me...

Thanks
Andy
Old 09-23-2008, 10:13 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by I Like Soup
Andy,

I know this is the watered down version of your TCU tune, but do you have any idea what to expect on the hp/torque front after reducing the TCM torque management? I'm thinking you haven't played around with the 55's as much yet, but I could be wrong. Thanks!
Yes, we already have 55 cals on file. Obviously they need to be modified to your exact mods but the baseline tunes are already complete.

Here's what I've decided to do, I'm looking for one example (not tester, we don't test on other people's cars) to run our TCU tune; preferably someone with little or no mods (pulley/ECU is fine since most of you seem to have that anyway). In return for before/after track results and subjective feedback reg. shift points, firmness, eliminated delay, etc. said owner will receive a significantly reduced rate. I'd rather have someone that runs at the track regularly, uses 93 octane, and has sticky tires to take advantage of the extra power we're going to let loose.
This is a one time only deal, we will not be doing anymore discounted tunes. If you're interested please PM me and we'll get started right away. I want as much data to be posted as soon as possible.

Thanks
Andy

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AMG 55/65 Owners, You Win, TCU Only...