ICE-Tuning Carbon Fiber Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by URnext
Wont the heat of the engine w/o the insulation on the hood eventually fade the color of the hood?
I'm not talking about the heat blanket, just the plastic piece closest to the windshield. it allows the blower whine to be heard by all!
Old 11-05-2008, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes
Originally Posted by chiromikey
absolutely positive!!!
cool
Old 11-05-2008, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55 2003 ML55 2007 VW V10TDI
Originally Posted by aleksandar1099
cool

HAHA Funny Aleksandar1099
Old 11-05-2008, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
So without the C/F, it looks like this?

Which sells for $400ish BTW.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Originally Posted by phatmitzu
So without the C/F, it looks like this?

Which sells for $400ish BTW.
no,

thats more like 600... and it is a very different design. LET has custom made this for the c32 and done a perfect job!!!

This intake is specially made for the e55, which has a different style more complex design and the CF is very expensive to do!! This intake also has the heat shields included that are expensive to make completely out of CF.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
no,

thats more like 600... and it is a very different design. LET has custom made this for the c32 and done a perfect job!!!

This intake is specially made for the e55, which has a different style more complex design and the CF is very expensive to do!! This intake also has the heat shields included that are expensive to make completely out of CF.
Well... it's not that different - mandrel bent tubes mating up to a 55 splitter, with cone filters on the ends.

Yes, ICE's is wrapped in CF (btw - real CF, or CF "look"?), and comes with a heat shield for the cone filter, which is definitely a good idea. No question, it does look nice

Who is ICE? Totally new to MB's? MBW forum sponsor?
Old 11-05-2008, 09:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
Well... it's not that different - mandrel bent tubes mating up to a 55 splitter, with cone filters on the ends.

Yes, ICE's is wrapped in CF (btw - real CF, or CF "look"?), and comes with a heat shield for the cone filter, which is definitely a good idea. No question, it does look nice

Who is ICE? Totally new to MB's? MBW forum sponsor?
Its real CF
Old 11-05-2008, 10:39 PM
Almost a Member!

08 E63 Soon
Having looked at the photos, and read all the posts I have to say that I have a few strong reservations about this product:

1. The carbon fiber used on this product is more eye candy than anything else. It is just metal tubes wrapped in CF. Yes the CF offers a level of insulation but the heat in the engine bay will just superheat the metal tubes and eventually heat the inlet charge. Real CF through and through would be the answer here but that is expensive to do properly so the ICE guys are just fooling the casual observer with a CF coat on an esentially metal tube intake.

2. The front heat shields are a total joke and just more eye candy to veil a poorly designed intake. All I see here are some tubes with filters on the end sucking in mainly warm under hoood air.

3. The price is OUTRAGEOUS for what you get. Compare this to the all carbon fiber piece of art VRP sells for a few hundered bucks more and there is no contest. The ICE unit has a really low production cost and HUGE mark up. Don't be fooled by CF wrapped tubes, it is TOTALLY different than a properly made CF part.

Lastly ICE tuning is not a forum sponsor and this thread looks like one heck of a commercial post cloaked behind the old 'hey guys lemme tell you about this new product I came accross' cover. We'll leave that one to the moderators.

I have always been a fan of the VRP products and also think that competition is a good thing in the market place. In this case I see the ICE intake as a cheap ghost of what the VRP is with a price tag darn close to it.

Caveat Emptor
Old 11-05-2008, 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Originally Posted by bcaruso
Having looked at the photos, and read all the posts I have to say that I have a few strong reservations about this product:

1. The carbon fiber used on this product is more eye candy than anything else. It is just metal tubes wrapped in CF. Yes the CF offers a level of insulation but the heat in the engine bay will just superheat the metal tubes and eventually heat the inlet charge. Real CF through and through would be the answer here but that is expensive to do properly so the ICE guys are just fooling the casual observer with a CF coat on an esentially metal tube intake.

2. The front heat shields are a total joke and just more eye candy to veil a poorly designed intake. All I see here are some tubes with filters on the end sucking in mainly warm under hoood air.

3. The price is OUTRAGEOUS for what you get. Compare this to the all carbon fiber piece of art VRP sells for a few hundered bucks more and there is no contest. The ICE unit has a really low production cost and HUGE mark up. Don't be fooled by CF wrapped tubes, it is TOTALLY different than a properly made CF part.

Lastly ICE tuning is not a forum sponsor and this thread looks like one heck of a commercial post cloaked behind the old 'hey guys lemme tell you about this new product I came accross' cover. We'll leave that one to the moderators.

I have always been a fan of the VRP products and also think that competition is a good thing in the market place. In this case I see the ICE intake as a cheap ghost of what the VRP is with a price tag darn close to it.

Caveat Emptor
WOW that is a lot to say!!

well let me answer some questions that you asked, since you are obviously on top of things....

1. The carbon fiber is real and put on top of the tubes for cosmetic purposes, what I don't understand is why that is a bad thing. In no way shape or form does it say that these are pure CF tubes. Look on their website it says it all... Metal wrapped in CF to give a good look to the engine compartment. Once again, i fail to see something bad about making something appealing to the eye

2. The heat shields actually do work and do as you said, look good in the engine compartment (I still don't understand why you think this is a bad thing), I will pay to get IAT's to show you this....

3. Since when do you, as a mercedes owner, expect to pay the cost of the item you are buying. Since you think that it should be less did you forget that research and development for a mercedes, especially in having to do with the engine, costs a lot of money in labor and parts. Or do you think that every other company absorbs this cost and sells you the product for what it costs them to make it. .... and once again, no where does it say that it is solid CF...

Lastly..... Who are you....If you are going to attack me as a forum member, do not even try to play that game. I have done my research in buying products for my car and I know what is right for my personal decisions. I am a well established member here and A LOT of people can vouch for me, and I mean A LOT. I am very active in the mercedes community and spend a lot of my time and money into it. So there is no "scam" going on here.

I respect that your are a fan of VRP products, they produce AMAZING things, some of which I am looking to get in the near future. I am also a fan of the products I choose for my car, such as LET, who is the best tuning company in my opinion, and that is what the forum is about, having and sharing an opinion, but to try to attack me by saying, "oh the mods will clean this up" is completly rude, they have a hard job moderating the forums for some of the nonsense that goes on(not saying i dont love reading it every day). The intake is not a competitor to the VRP Airbox, the VRP product has been around for a long time and is an established well respected mod.

BTW, they are in the process of becoming a sponsor soon... just an fyi to you...
Old 11-06-2008, 09:37 AM
Almost a Member!

08 E63 Soon
WOW that is a lot to say!!

well let me answer some questions that you asked, since you are obviously on top of things....

1. The carbon fiber is real and put on top of the tubes for cosmetic purposes, what I don't understand is why that is a bad thing. In no way shape or form does it say that these are pure CF tubes. Look on their website it says it all... Metal wrapped in CF to give a good look to the engine compartment. Once again, i fail to see something bad about making something appealing to the eye

2. The heat shields actually do work and do as you said, look good in the engine compartment (I still don't understand why you think this is a bad thing), I will pay to get IAT's to show you this....

3. Since when do you, as a mercedes owner, expect to pay the cost of the item you are buying. Since you think that it should be less did you forget that research and development for a mercedes, especially in having to do with the engine, costs a lot of money in labor and parts. Or do you think that every other company absorbs this cost and sells you the product for what it costs them to make it. .... and once again, no where does it say that it is solid CF...

Lastly..... Who are you....If you are going to attack me as a forum member, do not even try to play that game. I have done my research in buying products for my car and I know what is right for my personal decisions. I am a well established member here and A LOT of people can vouch for me, and I mean A LOT. I am very active in the mercedes community and spend a lot of my time and money into it. So there is no "scam" going on here.

I respect that your are a fan of VRP products, they produce AMAZING things, some of which I am looking to get in the near future. I am also a fan of the products I choose for my car, such as LET, who is the best tuning company in my opinion, and that is what the forum is about, having and sharing an opinion, but to try to attack me by saying, "oh the mods will clean this up" is completly rude, they have a hard job moderating the forums for some of the nonsense that goes on(not saying i dont love reading it every day). The intake is not a competitor to the VRP Airbox, the VRP product has been around for a long time and is an established well respected mod.

BTW, they are in the process of becoming a sponsor soon... just an fyi to you...
Let me comment on your points one at a time. Note that I have taken the time to wait until there is more information out on the product (all the posts, photos, and dynos should be enough) before offering an opinion.

1. I agree that the intake was never explicitly advertised as being made entirely of CF. That said the title of the thread can be very misleading and there seems to be some confusion by posters as to how much of the intake is CF. Yes it is totally the responsibility of the buyer to do their homework however it is important for buyers to realize that a metal intake wrapped in CF is a much cheaper method of manufacture that gives you almost none of the benefits as an all CF piece. While no one said 'ALL CF' the thread title sure as heck would have you think it and the questions raised by posters prooves this.

2. I agree that the shields do 'some' work but far from what a properly sealed inlet tube like the OEM or VRP tubes would do. These shields are a step back from the OEM as they do not seal and direct as much outside cold air as the OEM. Before and after IAT readings are meaningless in this case because they only measure the ICE intake which is terrible without the shields and bad with them.

3. I agree that it is unrealistic to pay for tuning bits that are totally in relation to the production cost. Tuning parts are expensive and even moreso for an AMG MB. My complaint is that in relation to the very expensive to produce ALL CARBON FIBER VRP intake, this one is just too close in price. So my beef is that ICE wants to make much bigger margins than VRP. Hey everyone is allowed to charge what they want and the market can decide but I think people should know who is charging big mark ups and who is being more reasonable with us enthusiasts. I believe Renntech is bashed here quite often for being waaaay expensive.

Lastly I am bashing no one and entering into no argument either. I am offering an opinion based on my experiences having tuned other cars and been in the car hobby for a while now. You offer your opinion and I ask to offer mine even if we disagree I only want to be civil here.

I have been to a lot of forums and think that it is best for the collective group on the forum for it not to become a flea market for every new product that is being advertised by non-sponsors (user or company). It is the sponsors that keep the forums going and give us an online place to talk AMG. If ICE wants to be a sponsor it takes all of 1 day and a Paypal payment all of this 'in process stuff' I've seen before and usually turns into nothing but free advertising.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
I'm on my iPhone , but don't worry ... I'll respond tonight ! Btw... You are not even a potential customer .... How many times have I heard ... Oh my car is on it's way.... Same deal... If you really wanted an 08 e63 you could mosey on over to the dealer... Say hi and give money an they hand you keys to a car...
Old 11-06-2008, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Actually ignore my last comment... Just reread my response to your first attack and all of your questions were answered ... I'm not arguing with you ... Not worth my time ....
Old 11-06-2008, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 AMG
Question

Seems to me bcaruso is offering up a valid and civil opinion.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
IMO its only worth the money if the pipings are made of CF like the VRP tubes, but not just CF wrapped aluminum pipes....

However, its your money and your car. Enjoy the new mod!

Old 11-08-2008, 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by I Like Soup
Seems to me bcaruso is offering up a valid and civil opinion.
+1

Old 11-08-2008, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
+1

well.... what do you guys think? i thought that when i got it that it was the best for the money?

thanks
Old 11-08-2008, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
well.... what do you guys think? i thought that when i got it that it was the best for the money?

thanks
you already know what i think...
Old 11-08-2008, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by phatmitzu
IMO its only worth the money if the pipings are made of CF like the VRP tubes, but not just CF wrapped aluminum pipes....

However, its your money and your car. Enjoy the new mod!

+1 btw they are steel tubes. i asked why they were not made of aluminum.
Old 11-08-2008, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Originally Posted by chiromikey
you already know what i think...
Old 11-11-2008, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Originally Posted by jcjmw
2. jcjmw
hey for you guys who waited for the group buy have paid off....

you can go on their website and purchase it for 1199!!!

..... and I hear that because of what was said on the forums, they are making a SOILD CF intake!!.... i saw one of the molds...its crazy!!
Old 11-11-2008, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221

..... and I hear that because of what was said on the forums, they are making a SOILD CF intake!!.... i saw one of the molds...its crazy!!
OH????
Old 11-12-2008, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Originally Posted by BenzoBoi
OH????
OH yeah.... i'm in line for one of these too, so my other one is up for sale when the new one gets in....
Old 04-06-2009, 11:22 PM

2004 E55
OH yeah.... i'm in line for one of these too, so my other one is up for sale when the new one gets in....
did they ever come out with the all c/f intake?
Old 04-07-2009, 01:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG 030
are they still around? the website doesnt work?
Old 04-07-2009, 02:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
The company went under as the owners had a conflict of agreement, (everyone was stealing from each-other)
I got the first one, and after they started having problems, they wanted more money from me, so I left and never went back!

The intake can be made from some aluminum tubing and a good welder, If anyone is interested, I can recommend a good shop, PM me...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ICE-Tuning Carbon Fiber Cold Air Intake