MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W211 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg-81/)
-   -   *** VRP 82mm TB *** (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/283759-vrp-82mm-tb.html)

vrus 02-21-2009 11:08 AM

*** VRP 82mm TB ***

I had alot of fun doing the original 80mm TB upgrade kit a few years ago but with the power levels that these cars are starting to get to, we need a little more.. :)

I have been playing with a new Throttle body for a few months now and am coming close to putting a kit together.

Just to provide some historical information:

- The stock throttle body on the 55K cars had a throttle plate diameter of 74mm.

- The "80mm Throttle body kit" has a throttle plate diameter of 78mm so it should really be referred to as a 78mm throttle body. The reason I have been calling it 80mm from the get go was because in the MB catalogue that is how it was referred. This "80mm" TB came in 6 different variants which popped up in various MB models.

A few drawbacks on the "80mm" TB were:

- wall thickness was very thin so boring out the diameter was not possible
- electronics were epoxied so that the case could not be dismantled in order to do any boring or modification

This new 82mm throttle body is a true dimension and here are a few details:

- The throttle plate is 82mm
- The Inner diameter of the opening is 84mm
- The wall thickness is double the previous 80mm which allows another 2mm increases in bore size
- The electronics are NOT epoxied which makes further upgrades possible.

One advantage that this will provide is that we could get a CNC'd 90mm TB housing created or even 100mm for that matter and transfer the electronics over. Hmm.. now that I am thinking about it.. How about a 100mm Oval TB like the kenne bell setup? :)

Below is a picture comparing my original 80mm Throttle body to the new 82mm Throttle body. I know a 4mm difference doesnt sound like much but have a look at the differences in the opening of these 2 pieces.

http://69.17.158.20/vrus/e55/vrp_tb_compare.jpg

More information to follow.. I need to get a new S/C inlet modified with an adapter plate to hold this thing.. Either that, or I will skip over and just make a 90mm or 100mm.. What do you guys think?

MB_Forever 02-21-2009 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by vrus (Post 3366586)
I had alot of fun doing the original 80mm TB upgrade kit a few years ago but with the power levels that these cars are starting to get to, we need a little more.. :)

I have been playing with a new Throttle body for a few months now and am coming close to putting a kit together.

Just to provide some historical information:

- The stock throttle body on the 55K cars had a throttle plate diameter of 74mm.

- The "80mm Throttle body kit" has a throttle plate diameter of 78mm so it should really be referred to as a 78mm throttle body. The reason I have been calling it 80mm from the get go was because in the MB catalogue that is how it was referred. This "80mm" TB came in 6 different variants which popped up in various MB models.

A few drawbacks on the "80mm" TB were:

- wall thickness was very thin so boring out the diameter was not possible
- electronics were epoxied so that the case could not be dismantled in order to do any boring or modification

This new 82mm throttle body is a true dimension and here are a few details:

- The throttle plate is 82mm
- The Inner diameter of the opening is 84mm
- The wall thickness is double the previous 80mm which allows another 2mm increases in bore size
- The electronics are NOT epoxied which makes further upgrades possible.

One advantage that this will provide is that we could get a CNC'd 90mm TB housing created or even 100mm for that matter and transfer the electronics over. Hmm.. now that I am thinking about it.. How about a 100mm Oval TB like the kenne bell setup? :)

Below is a picture comparing my original 80mm Throttle body to the new 82mm Throttle body. I know a 4mm difference doesnt sound like much but have a look at the differences in the opening of these 2 pieces.

More information to follow.. I need to get a new S/C inlet modified with an adapter plate to hold this thing.. Either that, or I will skip over and just make a 90mm or 100mm.. What do you guys think?

100mm all the way...... :D

Lets unlock the true potential of the 55k engine.... :y

blackbenzz 02-21-2009 11:19 AM

Will you be making something for a Kleemann s/c W208CLK55? If so, sign me up for the biggest one I can get! :y I still have my stock TB :eek: Shouldn't we be modifying everything upstream of the TB as well to match? I know porting the supercharger inlet to match would be neccessary. Thanls for developing new products for us :y

chiromikey 02-21-2009 11:20 AM

skip it and go for the 90 or 100mm. oh yeah, and do it for a reasonable price please. ;)

lauer87 02-21-2009 11:20 AM

Go big or go home:zoom:

MJ50 02-21-2009 11:22 AM

is there any downside with 100mm??
if not, then 100mm!!! :D

shardul 02-21-2009 11:36 AM

Nice work
How much hp and in what rpm range would the gains show with this new setup.

prodigymb 02-21-2009 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by MJ50 (Post 3366604)
is there any downside with 100mm??
if not, then 100mm!!! :D

there is no downside with bigger tb on a supercharged car. the more of an opening you can create before the blower - the better:y

i say skip the 82-84mm and move straight to an oval 100mm setup.

I Like Soup 02-21-2009 12:25 PM

I'd be interested in the larger throttle body as well.

OXOJE55 02-21-2009 01:39 PM

1+

Originally Posted by I Like Soup (Post 3366693)
I'd be interested in the larger throttle body as well.

HYEPWR 02-21-2009 02:29 PM

Agreed

Skip 82mm.....all that money and time for 4mm is pointless.

Forget 100mm as well the new high performance TB for 2003 SC mustangs(4.6L supercharged engines like ours) are 160mm. GT500 guys see 60whp with these. The shortcoming is throttle response.....with a 100-160mm TB the car will very sensitive to the throttle. It will feel like a 100 shot of NOS. With our torque---should be fun.

Should be worth 20-60whp over stock.

Victor.....I vote 120mm++ I want a 1 liter bottle of coke to fit in there!!

We like them big...http://jalopnik.com/assets/resources...ottle-body.jpg

I Like Soup 02-21-2009 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by HYEPWR (Post 3366894)

Forget 100mm as well the new high performance TB for 2003 SC mustangs(4.6L supercharged engines like ours) are 160mm. GT500 guys see 60whp with these. The shortcoming is throttle response.....with a 100-160mm TB the car will very sensitive to the throttle. It will feel like a 100 shot of NOS. With our torque---should be fun.

Umm...where is the throttle body? ;)

bassn_07 02-21-2009 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by I Like Soup (Post 3366899)
Umm...where is the throttle body? ;)

Ohh! There was a throttle body there? :eek:

gollard 02-21-2009 04:44 PM

awesome! been waiting for a bigger TB to come out - when can we expect to be able to order a larger TB?

URnext 02-21-2009 04:58 PM

:eek: Cant wait....................:popcorn:

miladjuckel 02-21-2009 06:13 PM

100 for sure

Marcus Frost 02-22-2009 12:08 AM

Victor,

There ARE drawbacks to overly large TBs, however 100mm would be something very interesting to see how the car responded to. In my honest opinion, I think everyone here would be interested in the biggest possible TB that wouldn't take away too much from the stock character of the car in terms of drivability. I say START at 100mm, and if you have to, make it smaller until you get the right size to balance everything.

No question with bypass valve control on the horizon, 180mm pulleys, etc., etc., - we need big throttle bodies.

-m

Zod 02-22-2009 12:48 AM

nice!
so how are you going to takle the TB housing/ Y pipe :confused:

very interesting
also will all this new air going in require tuning?
will filters hold up to all the sucktion, or is it not effected?

very nice V nice to see you are still around :y

man tb install is hard n expensivE! have to make it worth it to do it again for some.....

jikjak 02-22-2009 08:45 AM

will your bigger TB kit be out anytime soon!
im itching to buy a TB kit already but ive been holding off because of all these talks of bigger ones coming out.

also is there any way to make it work with your VRP CFairbox?
id hate to have to get rid of it!

HYEPWR 02-22-2009 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Zod (Post 3367675)
nice!
so how are you going to takle the TB housing/ Y pipe :confused:

If I may answer this for you Victor......

I would suspect that with the 100mm+ TB---the stock location will not be possible or very good for power. I imagine that they will use CAD to design a whole new mount from the SC to the TB. It makes no sense to have a 100mmm TB and have it neck down to 85mm or whatever at the mount. Having it curve around would also help get some cooler air into the intake. I would think something like below...

http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/2...rinlet3mi1.jpg

Zod 02-22-2009 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by HYEPWR (Post 3367992)

I would suspect that with the 100mm+ TB---the stock location will not be possible or very good for power. I imagine that they will use CAD to design a whole new mount from the SC to the TB. It makes no sense to have a 100mmm TB and have it neck down to 85mm or whatever at the mount. Having it curve around would also help get some cooler air into the intake. I would think something like below...

http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/2...rinlet3mi1.jpg

and where will u make this fit :nix:?
its airbox, y pipe , tb plate then tb housing
interesting non the less moreee infoooo plz :D

as for carbon air box fitment...well mroe then likly chop chop and make the hole bigger ^_^

jikjak 02-22-2009 10:59 AM

hehe but can u cut the airbox without breaking it?

would it defeat the purpose if u used some sort of rubber pipe to connect the airbox to the bigger TB?
it doesnt seem like there would be enough room to do that though

vrus 02-22-2009 01:20 PM

Thanks for the input guys! I was leaning towards the 90mm because I felt I could fit it with a stock styled S/C inlet and keep everything in the same location.. I am not sure if an Oval 100mm TB will fit back there ( I ran out to do some measurements on my car last night)... I will do some more checking and see what is possible.

-----------------

Yeow! Somestimes, bigger really is better, isn't it? :naughty:

Dont discount the 82mm so quickly. The jump from stock 74mm to 78mm netted 25-30rwhp. There is still some vacuum at WOT on the inlet side with the 78mm TB so I know the motor could use more air.

A jump from 78mm to 82mm would probably eliminate the vacuum and provide the air the motor needs.. The install and parts would be considerable cheaper too..

I would only need to create an adapter plate like I did on my first gen 80mm TB kit, and weld it on to the stock 80mm S/C inlet and have it all port matched to 82mm.

Doing the 90mm and bigger will require CAD drawings, CNC housings, and will be alot more expensive to do..

I guess when it all boils down, Renntech is charging $3K I think for the 82mm kit... I can make a custom 90/100 for that kind of money.

Originally Posted by HYEPWR (Post 3366894)

On a F/I car like ours do you really think "too big" is really a concern?

I may go with a 90mm housing that can be opened to 95mm and take it from there.

Originally Posted by Marcus
Victor,

There ARE drawbacks to overly large TBs, however 100mm would be something very interesting to see how the car responded to. In my honest opinion, I think everyone here would be interested in the biggest possible TB that wouldn't take away too much from the stock character of the car in terms of drivability. I say START at 100mm, and if you have to, make it smaller until you get the right size to balance everything.

No question with bypass valve control on the horizon, 180mm pulleys, etc., etc., - we need big throttle bodies.

-m

All very good questions.. These are all things I have to address as the project progresses. TB housing and Ypipe will depend on which size I start off with. The tuning is also a function of what size I go with.. if the change is not drastic it should not affect tuning.

Originally Posted by Zod
nice!
so how are you going to takle the TB housing/ Y pipe

very interesting
also will all this new air going in require tuning?
will filters hold up to all the sucktion, or is it not effected?

very nice V nice to see you are still around

man tb install is hard n expensivE! have to make it worth it to do it again for some.....

With this larger size, I wont be able to keep the C/F airbox. it will definitely need to be redesigned..

Originally Posted by jikjak
will your bigger TB kit be out anytime soon!
im itching to buy a TB kit already but ive been holding off because of all these talks of bigger ones coming out.

also is there any way to make it work with your VRP CFairbox?
id hate to have to get rid of it!

This is really what I am fearing... I really cant go with an off-center TB because it will make the dual intake impossible. And with only a single intake pipe, there is nowhere to put a big 4" tube or oval for that matter, and filter.

Originally Posted by HYEPWR

vrus 02-22-2009 01:25 PM

BTW, for all you tinkerers out there... If you want, I can supply the bare 82mm TB and you can make your own plate and modified S/C inlet for a fraction of the cost of the Renntech kit.

Through my source I am able to buy them for a great price. I will sell them bare for $750. :D

Just in case you dont want to wait until I figure out what direction to take it in. :y

prodigymb 02-22-2009 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by vrus (Post 3368226)
BTW, for all you tinkerers out there... If you want, I can supply the bare 82mm TB and you can make your own plate and modified S/C inlet for a fraction of the cost of the Renntech kit.

Through my source I am able to buy them for a great price. I will sell them bare for $750. :D

Just in case you dont want to wait until I figure out what direction to take it in. :y

now that's cool man. i wish i didnt jump on a 80mm a fe months a go, it just seemed like the TB topic was dead.

does the 82mm need wire swapping? what car is it out of?