MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W211 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg-81/)
-   -   Clear side marker install on '07 & up (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/287832-clear-side-marker-install-07-up.html)

05VENOM 03-16-2009 11:32 PM

Clear side marker install on '07 & up

Justy received the clear side markers I ordered. Looks like a good product. They are a bit different than previous 210 markers. They don't have the large clip at the rear but a different looking clip. Anyone do it themselves or should I have dealer install.

05VENOM 03-17-2009 08:27 AM

NO ONE has any experience with these??

liquiddi 03-17-2009 08:59 AM

I installed them on mine. It's pretty easy. There are 3 black tabs on the fenderwell. One is located at the bottom. Once those are out you need to pull the fender back. This is where it gets hard. There is a plastic tab holding the lights in. you can see it on the ones you received in. They are so tight in there on the stock ones that they are almost impossible to get them uncliped. It took me an hour to do one. The other side I said screw it, got a puddy knife and a hammer and broke one of the tabs off and it came off easily. Good luck.

Fr33kn63 03-17-2009 09:24 AM

yeah I got my clear markers about a month ago. Havent jumped into it yet. Probably gonna wait a bit since i have a few more exterior goodies I am waiting for.

05VENOM 03-17-2009 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by liquiddi (Post 3413977)
I installed them on mine. It's pretty easy. There are 3 black tabs on the fenderwell. One is located at the bottom. Once those are out you need to pull the fender back. This is where it gets hard. There is a plastic tab holding the lights in. you can see it on the ones you received in. They are so tight in there on the stock ones that they are almost impossible to get them uncliped. It took me an hour to do one. The other side I said screw it, got a puddy knife and a hammer and broke one of the tabs off and it came off easily. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice. I tried to pry out the stock with a small rubber tip screwdriver but those markers are in there pretty snug. Didn't want to damage the paint. Did you actually remove the front wheel fenderwell or just released it a bit to get access thru there? Would love to save a trip to the dealer if I can.

tchu- 05-22-2009 03:32 AM

im unable to get the lense to come off of my e550 :S
unscrewed the bulb but tried squeezing the little tabs for a needle nose plier and no matter what i did for 2 hours i couldnt get it out :S
what am i doing wrong?

Fr33kn63 05-22-2009 07:45 AM

Ok.. JUST went though this all in the last few days getting rid of my amber ones to put clears in.
In each front wheel well pull the lower grommet on the plastic cover in front. Get a demel and cut one of the pins that is closest to you when you reach in to the side markers. Once you cut one of those plastic pins, they whille come out very easily. However the stock lights are very tough to get out without doing this. I fought with it for an hour, then finally decided to cut one of them, since I wont be putting them back on the car anyways.
Should go fairly quickly after doing this.

FYI. Look at the new side markers you bought. Notice that on the back part in the area that would be closest to you when reaching into the wheel well there will be a set of pins that look something like... "^^" On the old ones cut off one of those "^"
(hopefully that makes some sense when you are inspecting the new ones you bought.

tchu- 05-22-2009 10:48 AM

by pins you mean one of those tabs right? the tabs you have to squeeze together to be able to push the lense out on my clear markers too? so if i were looking in the wheel well, cut off the tab thats closest to me?

Fr33kn63 05-22-2009 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by tchu- (Post 3538222)
by pins you mean one of those tabs right? the tabs you have to squeeze together to be able to push the lense out on my clear markers too? so if i were looking in the wheel well, cut off the tab thats closest to me?

yes. the two tabs you have to squeeze together. Just cut or break one of them off and it should come out very easily after that.

05VENOM 05-23-2009 11:14 PM

After doing one side in 30 minutes the other side took 5.
You do not have to remove the wheels just turn them to gain access to the inside wheel well. Remove just the lower plastic pin looking thingy and hold out the front part of the plastic wheel well. You will be able to slip your entire hand in and get a good grab of the stock light. With a little force you can get it out. The new ones push right in.

KV3BLUE 05-24-2009 01:55 PM

If you do not want to keep the old lights, just cut the pin/clip with a plier, its much faster.

sack5000 05-27-2009 08:40 PM

If you just need to change out the light because it is burned out, how do you go about doing this?

Hopefully it is not as hard as the side marker replacement.

KV3BLUE 05-28-2009 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by sack5000 (Post 3545865)
If you just need to change out the light because it is burned out, how do you go about doing this?

Hopefully it is not as hard as the side marker replacement.

The light socket is half twisted onto the light housing (behind/inside the bumper), just untwist, then pull out the bulb.

1 BAD BURB 05-28-2009 07:13 PM

i have to do this as well on my E63. I bought the smoked lenses and am having them painted black to match car. should look wicked!!!

i tried prying them out but that wasn't working. i will try the methods suggested above. getting in using the access panel should be the key!

Thank you all!
Aj

EDIT: i just went out and did this. took me 5 minutes to take out the stockers! LOL... it really is THAT simple! i just cut the tabs and called her good.

LB63 07-02-2009 11:14 AM

where did you guys get the clear lenses from (aside from FleaBay)?

Also, what type of bulbs should I get to match it?

von32897 07-02-2009 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by LB63 (Post 3603477)

Can someone point me in the right direction for purchasing clear side markers or even blacked out ones for CLS55 AMG?

MB_Forever 07-02-2009 02:52 PM

I got mine from e-bay as well (but I got the smoked version)... you don't like the e-bay ones?

LB63 07-02-2009 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by MB_Forever (Post 3603827)
I got mine from e-bay as well (but I got the smoked version)... you don't like the e-bay ones?

I never bought anything from e-bay before so I was just keeping with habit in trying to avoid it.

Can you PM me the seller you bought it from?

Also, do I need to get orange bulbs?

KV3BLUE 07-02-2009 06:51 PM

I checked the lights from other sites, but it was way too expensive, so I got the Ebay one. Its fine, can't the difference from other lights. But if you want the matching bulb, look in Ebay for the chrome or silver bulb.

KV3BLUE 07-03-2009 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by LB63 (Post 3604222)
I never bought anything from e-bay before so I was just keeping with habit in trying to avoid it.

Can you PM me the seller you bought it from?

Also, do I need to get orange bulbs?

It can get addictive once you start buying stuff on Ebay. Its safe, I have been using Ebay for many years. At least you can always check stuff prices. If you do not trust the seller with payment, you can always ask if you can send a US Postal money order for payment. It may take a week longer to get your item. I registered with Paypal to pay. Its afe also.

If you want to look for other websites to look for E63 lights, etc or anything. Go to MSN's www.bing.com search. You can find anything, make sure you type in the correct words to search, it will take a little time for you to look and search through the massive results, thats why make sure you type in the correct words.

Dublinoh 10-29-2018 11:15 AM

Thanks to original poster and others, this was helpful. Just wanted to clean contacts to the bulb. I had intermittent failures that responded to tapping.

Yuille36 10-29-2018 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Dublinoh (Post 7589156)
Thanks to original poster and others, this was helpful. Just wanted to clean contacts to the bulb. I had intermittent failures that responded to tapping.

My side marker bulb burnt out, and partially melted into the marker. Neither the bulb nor the marker wanted to come out. What a pain it was to remove it.