MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W211 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg-81/)
-   -   Need advice: E55 vs E63 purchase (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/293467-need-advice-e55-vs-e63-purchase.html)

JustPete 04-20-2009 05:15 PM

Need advice: E55 vs E63 purchase

Need advice: E55 vs E63 purchase
First,

Hi all, this is my first post and thanks to everyone that takes the time to answer.

The title pretty much says it all. I'm looking to sell my W140 S and get an E Class AMG.

I've scoured the net looking for articles on both cars as well as cars available in my area.

I'm ready to pull the trigger on one of a few cars I've zeroed in on and was looking for some advice from those that know these cars best. I've read through threads here for a day as well and learned a thing or two about both cars.

The E55 seems to be the favorite for tuners and bad boy drivers into the rush of a torque beast.

The E63 seems to be the more refined big brother, less torque but possibly more fulfilling.

So I'm looking for advice on which might really suit me best and what I may miss from one vs the other.

I'm somewhat of a gear head that has personally rebuilt muscle cars, sports cars and motorcycles.

I currently have a fantastic handling sports car that when I want the excitement of a car that drives like it's on rails ... IMO I may have one of the best already.

But saying that ... that really means I also appreciate a good drivers car. Will the E55 disappoint?

I'm not sure I want to work on this car or not though the pulley and belt change sounds very easy. (What's the actual gain BTW?)

I know I want a beast that I can take the wife out to dinner with and have some fun with as well giving some of my buddies and their Cadillacs, BMW's, Mustangs and Corvettes fits with.

So ... any help would be appreciated. What are the pros and cons of the E55 vs the E63?

What will I miss with each.

The price difference is $10-15K ... not enough to be worth any buyers remorse, so I'm not really sweating that.

Thanks

Pete

komp55 04-20-2009 06:00 PM

Search the forums. The pros and cons of each have been discussed ad nauseum. The best advice is to test drive both and buy the one you prefer and can afford. I recommend that you purchase a Certified Pre-Owned example of whichever you decide to go with. Good luck with your search.

Yacht Master 04-20-2009 06:42 PM

The best one to get is a W211 with a warranty.

KV3BLUE 04-21-2009 12:28 AM

Yes. Test drive which vehicle you like. I hate to say it, but the E55 or E63 is not the best handling car (heavy), especially not "drives like it's on rail". But these cars will definetly haul all your buddies and wife to dinning and will not disappoint. If you love to work on cars, the E55 has lots of parts. The E63 is still too new. I used to love to work on cars, but I got tired of it. Too many things to deal with, warranty, smog, break downs etc...you know the stories. I used to have a 1991 superchargeg intercooled ATI Procharger 13 psi mustang GT, running 113 mph 1/4 mile (very fast back then for a daily driver), but it was very scary driving that thing over say 110mph. I now still have a 98 Mercury Mountaineer V8 Powerdyne supercharged running at 13psi, full everything. I was able to use many of the Mustang parts. But it breaks the engine and tranny mounts often, belts, etc. The E63 is abit hard to modify or find parts. I'm done modifying.

jangy 04-21-2009 12:59 AM

It really comes down to mods or not. Both cars are in the same class and the differences are more preference than real. Both will be perfect for taking the wife out to dinner and giving your boys fits.

You can add about 100hp / 100TQ with a stage 5 setup (All bolt ons plus an ECU tune) on an E55k. And about 50 hp (max) on a 63 with ECu and the underdrive pulleys. Other than that, any gains are the same for both (lowering unsprung weight).

As a previous poster said, the 63 is newer and so parts are just really coming in. Also, it is high compression so there is only so much you can get without major tuning.

Drive them both and decide. The 63 has hydraulic actuated brakes and the E55s have fly by wire so no feedback through the peddle. You may care. I actually like SBC but many hate it.

LB63 04-21-2009 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by jangy (Post 3479141)
It really comes down to mods or not. Both cars are in the same class and the differences are more preference than real. Both will be perfect for taking the wife out to dinner and giving your boys fits.

You can add about 100hp / 100TQ with a stage 5 setup (All bolt ons plus an ECU tune) on an E55k. And about 50 hp (max) on a 63 with ECu and the underdrive pulleys. Other than that, any gains are the same for both (lowering unsprung weight).

As a previous poster said, the 63 is newer and so parts are just really coming in. Also, it is high compression so there is only so much you can get without major tuning.

Drive them both and decide. The 63 has hydraulic actuated brakes and the E55s have fly by wire so no feedback through the peddle. You may care. I actually like SBC but many hate it.

He's absolutely correct. If you want to get serious horsepower go for the 55, if not then try both and see which one suites your driving needs (handling, braking, comfort, looks).

Blacksport350 04-21-2009 08:20 AM

Test drive them both and see which you prefer.

I greatly prefer the E55 for it's torque which also makes it the perfect choice for around town driving. Oh, and it isn't too shabby for those 180MPH highway runs either. :y

Luxury and civility are identical between the E55 and E63 but there were a few "updates" in the E63. Knowing I wanted an E55 (for the engine, brakes, and tranny), I fitted it with the E63 parts that I thought were an improvement....the front bumper/grill assemblies, the rear trunk spoiler, and a sport steering wheel fitted with E63 paddles. Now I have the best of both worlds and rid the E55 of its slightly dated looks. I also like the seats but as you can't get Dynamic seats in the E63, that rules out that swap.

liquiddi 04-21-2009 09:43 AM

They are both just as fast as one another stock. I would go 100% with the E63 if you don't care about modding. The silky smooth 6.2 liter engine in the 63 is a masterpiece. It sounds freaking awesome too. I went with the 63 because it is overall much improved.

JustPete 04-21-2009 10:26 AM

Thanks for all the responses ... this is what I'm looking for. :y

I've read through the threads but I'm looking for more personal dialogue on the subject.

JustPete 04-21-2009 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Yacht Master (Post 3478423)
The best one to get is a W211 with a warranty.

Aren't they both 211 chassis? :confused:

JustPete 04-21-2009 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Blacksport350 (Post 3479497)
Test drive them both and see which you prefer.

I greatly prefer the E55 for it's torque which also makes it the perfect choice for around town driving. Oh, and it isn't too shabby for those 180MPH highway runs either. :y

Luxury and civility are identical between the E55 and E63 but there were a few "updates" in the E63. Knowing I wanted an E55 (for the engine, brakes, and tranny), I fitted it with the E63 parts that I thought were an improvement....the front bumper/grill assemblies, the rear trunk spoiler, and a sport steering wheel fitted with E63 paddles. Now I have the best of both worlds and rid the E55 of its slightly dated looks. I also like the seats but as you can't get Dynamic seats in the E63, that rules out that swap.

The E63 doesn't have the dynamic seats?

How difficult and costly was the paddle upgrade. That IS one feature I really like on the E63 as opposed to buttons.

JustPete 04-21-2009 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by liquiddi (Post 3479612)
They are both just as fast as one another stock. I would go 100% with the E63 if you don't care about modding. The silky smooth 6.2 liter engine in the 63 is a masterpiece. It sounds freaking awesome too. I went with the 63 because it is overall much improved.

At this stage of my life, I'm not sure I want ANOTHER vehicle to mod.

I'm still modding my Porsche and also do mods on a custom bike and my truck is modded.

Do I really want another car to mod? I'm not sure.

I'm wondering what the driving experience is like, differences between the two.

komp55 04-21-2009 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by JustPete (Post 3479678)
I'm wondering what the driving experience is like, differences between the two.

E55 = visceral, engaging, dynamic

E63 = Buick-like, detached, soft, mild

Simple fact is, once you're accustomed to the torque of the 55, the 63 disappoints hugely in that regard. I was ready to buy a 63, but couldn't pull the trigger after I test drove it. Disclaimer: YMMV.

JustPete 04-21-2009 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by komp55 (Post 3479722)
E55 = visceral, engaging, dynamic

E63 = Buick-like, detached, soft, mild

Simple fact is, once you're accustomed to the torque of the 55, the 63 disappoints hugely in that regard. I was ready to buy a 63, but couldn't pull the trigger after I test drove it. Disclaimer: YMMV.

Interesting ... thanks for the comment.

So the E63 doesn't produce the same kicked in the pants adrenaline rush?

komp55 04-21-2009 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by JustPete (Post 3479773)

In my opinion, NO.

As I said in my earlier post on this topic, you really MUST drive both models and decide which aspects of each model are most important to you.

For me, the aural aspect of the supercharger, and the visceral sensation of being slammed into the back of your seat when you engage the supercharger hard made everything else seem less important. The E55 has no peer in its driving experience. :bow::bow::bow:

JustPete 04-21-2009 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by komp55 (Post 3479795)
In my opinion, NO.

As I said in my earlier post on this topic, you really MUST drive both models and decide which aspects of each model are most important to you.

For me, the aural aspect of the supercharger, and the visceral sensation of being slammed into the back of your seat when you engage the supercharger hard made everything else seem less important. The E55 has no peer in its driving experience. :bow::bow::bow:

How is the reliability of this engine, transmission and differential been?

Mr Kram 04-21-2009 12:21 PM

unless you're going to mod it heavily or drag race it at every stoplight, i would buy the newest e63 you can afford. the car is just a tad bit more refined and you'll have more warranty left.

blk07bruins63 04-21-2009 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Kram (Post 3479898)
unless you're going to mod it heavily or drag race it at every stoplight, i would buy the newest e63 you can afford. the car is just a tad bit more refined and you'll have more warranty left.

+1:D

JustPete 04-21-2009 02:36 PM

How has the reliability been E55 vs E63 ?

jangy 04-21-2009 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by JustPete (Post 3480158)
How has the reliability been E55 vs E63 ?

Very similar. Both had some growing pains in their first year but nothing major on either. Drivetrain is pretty strong on both, just lots of electronic gadgets.

No dynamic seats in the 63 is true. It can be converted but very costly.

You want personal? I love mashing the 55 and having it literally tear asphalt out of the road. With drag radials on, it literally pushes you back in your seat. From a dig or light to light it is no comparison. On highways and rolling punches, the 63 begins to shine but really only after about 130. That is just my personal part. I can honestly say that you will get a huge smile on your face every time you get in your E55k.

JustPete 04-21-2009 07:25 PM

Thanks for the reply Jangy ... that's what I want to hear.:y

france2112 04-21-2009 07:53 PM

Hi. Maybe consider a 2006 S65. You can steel these now and you get a 4 door V12 Biturbo with over 600bhp and 738lbs/ft of torque. Mods are very easy on the Biturbo. An ECU upgrade alone will increase you to just under 700bhp and 860lbs/ft of torque. Car actually doesn't handle bad for a large car either and it is so friggin comfortable. I use to own one so this is first hand knowledge. As far as the E55 vs E63, I prefer the E63. Engine is truly amazing and was designed and built exclusively by AMG. Car gets up to speed in a more linear fashion with much less potential wheel spin and the 7 speed gearing makes it shine up top. With an ECU upgrade and headers the car really wakes up. Just my humble opinion. Go test drive all three but I'm pretty sure once you get in the S65 you won't get out:). Good luck and let me know what you get:y.

Larry

DAGREEKNYC 04-21-2009 08:43 PM

if u feel the need for a bit more go with a 63 .Sneaky pete the ***** !!!! a Small 50 shot of NOS shouldnt hurt . But only to use when a 55 pulls up on the highway and wants to play .

AND ONCE AGAIN WHAT IS MORE TORQUE IF U CAN PUT IT TO THE GROUND !!!! JUST MAKE SURE IF U EVER RACE A 55 ITS FROM A DEAD STOP AND NOT A ROLL AND U WILLL BE FINE !!!!!!!!!!

Blacksport350 04-21-2009 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by JustPete (Post 3479773)
Interesting ... thanks for the comment.

NO, but I wouldn't call it a Buick.

I think the E63 is a fantastic car but if you really enjoy power and a serious shove in the back, you can't beat a 55. I could not buy an E63 after the E55 for the same reason that the C55 could not replace the C32....no blower, no insane rush. However, if you have never driven a C32 or E55, you would be more than happy with their naturally aspirated replacements.

Autoscope 04-21-2009 09:10 PM

Pete,

I say drive them both! Then go from there....I think the E63 will be a better buy because N/A motors have less problems down the road. Both are different in a way but I like the 5.5 supercharged motor, Personally! Do you plan to keep it long? What are they going for if you don't mind me asking?