MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W211 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg-81/)
-   -   New ride (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/300128-new-ride.html)

220S 05-22-2009 03:03 AM

New ride

I'd been thinking lately about getting a new E now mainly 'cause I don't like the W212 so much and still really like the W211 design. A classic, imho.

I had a E350 as a DD (was trying to be a sensible boy) but it got too boring and all I wanted to do was drive my P-car all the time instead. So, I sold the 350 to a family member.

So, anyway I bought one of the unsold 2009s from the dealer. There's 6k trunk money to work with plus already big discounts on top of that. And 1.9% from MB. I know there will even be more discounts later in the summer, but inventory is slowly going. Still lots of black or white, but I wanted something different (I've had too many black and white cars); only 5 flint grey left in the country (now only 4 :y )

I thought hard about a C63 but I need a bigger DD with all those comfort things and a good freeway cruiser. Plus I have my 993 for the canyon runs, etc..

It's been torture to break it in. I'm driving as much as I can and still only 490 miles on it. At least I'm getting 15-17 mpg right now :rolleyes:

But already I think I'm gonna like this one.....

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...ragebin/63.jpg

blk07bruins63 05-22-2009 03:18 AM

Nice color!! Good luck with breaking it in!:zoom: Not sure what the break-in period is but I'm betting it's too long for you. Can't blame you for not liking the W212.:X

Maddic 05-22-2009 03:34 AM

Congrats! A really nice upgrade!

FG seems to be a fairly popular color on here...what i really missed is the interior on ur previous ride...why cant we have something along the line like designo color options on the E class...only colors i see so far on the E are either black and beige colors...:)

Fr33kn63 05-22-2009 07:37 AM

Looks great! I like Flint Grey almost as much as my Iridium Silver. When i was shopping for my e63, White and Black was at every lot! I couldnt find Silver for the life of me! I had to search high and low to get Silver as I didnt want B or W. Not that they dont look good too, but really wanted silver and black accents.

On a side note yesterday I was driving behind a Hyundai Sonata and was thinking to myself, "arent those the SAME taillights that are coming on the w212?" Other then that I kinda like the new w212 look, but its gonna be tough to get past that a$$ end!

MJ50 05-22-2009 12:07 PM

congrats!
let's do mini-meet... :y

MJ50 05-22-2009 12:07 PM

congrats!
let's do mini-meet... :y

zoink 05-22-2009 12:13 PM

First of all, congrats!

Second of all, I know it's too late... but being a devil's advocate myself... :D wouldn't leasing be a better choice even compared to 1.9% APR? With W212 coming and looking at how E55/63 depreciates, leasing could be a lot cheaper... you could always negotiate down the residuals later - like Jangy - when the time comes.

WL55 05-22-2009 01:17 PM

Congrats. Sometimes I wonder if I needed the 55 over a 350. Thanks for reminding me.

220S 05-22-2009 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by zoink (Post 3538372)

Second of all, I know it's too late... but being a devil's advocate myself... :D wouldn't leasing be a better choice even compared to 1.9% APR? With W212 coming and looking at how E55/63 depreciates, leasing could be a lot cheaper... you could always negotiate down the residuals later - like Jangy - when the time comes.

Normally I would have done that. And I didn't take the 1.9 but still got the trunk money. They offered the 1.9 from MB Financial and so I posted that for anybody who might be considering it because the 1.9 on the E63 is not mentioned on MBUSA's website.

I didn't want to lease or get a loan this time around. To make it short, I started a small company with two other people and a few investors back in 1987 and we sold it to a major about 10 years ago. This is my reward to myself and to forget about lease payments, loan payments, etc.. I own my house so I'm okay there. I'm keeping this car for the long run, and will buy an extended warranty. It's just a good DD for me now. I tend to keep my DDs for a while. To be straight up, my real interest is in my P-car. I realize it may not make sense to some people but, hey, it works for me. :)

p.s., and yes, I could have invested the cash. But the rest of my money is invested and I feel okay about it all.

RobDoc 05-23-2009 01:03 AM

Congrats man, I think that's a perfect car and choice. I am planning on pairing an E63 with my F355, so I understand your focus on the 'other' car.
As for the wisdom of investing currently...that's a very dodgy and uncertain proposition right now. Admittedly your E63 will depreciate like a rock falling through water, but you obviously really like it and will get many years of utility and pleasure out of it. I think you did well.
Enjoy in good health!

JoelE55 05-23-2009 01:49 AM

Nice color...congrats..:y :zoom: