Looking for evidence why this intake is not better than stock

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by chiromikey
think about what you're saying. the reason you used to find that debris in the bottom of your airbox is because the filters were doing their job!!!!! do you really think that new filer is that good or is it likely that now instead of staying trapped in the airbox the dust and debris is going straight into the motor?
The filter is blocking it from ever entering the airboxes, go open your boxes & research what I've done before condemning it. The 600 TT models even have a little mesh screen between pipes blocking larger rocks, do you actually believe/think HEAVY Sand/Rocks are passing thru my Foam Cones??? No def not I inspected them all on daily basis 1st few weeks to make certain they were solid...

I'm getting pretty tired of trying to offer my help/research/findings, carry-on w/your head in the sand, & rocks in this case... Whens the last time you chkd your airboxes? They fill up w/debris in 2-3 wks, filters on the outside does INDEED block ALL this crap from EVER entering TB's SC'r Turbo's, if it diddn't my V12 TT would've blown SKY HIGH in a week The air-inlets on my SL feed directly into the TURBO's if they allowed ANY Sand/Rock's in them it'd be toast, I've been running this setup for MONTHS. Take my advice/research or leave it, just trying to help...

Sheesh you'd think I was trying to sell Encyclopedias or something????

PS...It's not that my new Foam Cone filters are that good or better than OEM @ removing dirt/sand/rocks/ if you could mount the OEM's on the outside it'd do the same thing, except Foam Cones breathe loads better...

Last edited by Thericker; 06-29-2009 at 07:00 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
i think i'm one of the last people around here that could be accused of having my head in the sand. you're info is appreciated but it's not a fair comparison. our airboxes and intakes are entirely different, not to mention the efficiency of our i/c systems and their ability to deal with any increase in iat's.

regardless, i'd like to see some true objective testing (on our platform).

btw, i've probably checked and/or removed my airboxes more times than you've had your hood up!

Last edited by chiromikey; 06-29-2009 at 07:23 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
'03 E55 (My Daily), '01 ML 320 (Wifey), Twin Turbo '69 Camaro (In Progess)
Vadim's setup looks trick, though it seems it was never finished and offered as a product. I don't know how he got the filters to fit up front with all the stuff in the way, not to mention the connection through the firewall. I would think a fair amount of relocation of A/C lines would be required. By far the best intake I have seen to date that sounded wicked was the ICE setup, but the company is now insolvent.

I want more than just intake tubes, as I don't want to utilize the factory filters. Here is an idea: seal off the factory tubes to the air box (after removing the stock filters) and the radiator supports and find a way to secure filters to the openings in the radiator support. Seems unconventional, though it would fix the hot air issue and would make for a noisy intake. The only issue not addressed is filter surface area to increase mass flow. Need to see what the clearance is in this area to size for the largest filter that will fit.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
i think i'm one of the last people around here that could be accused of having my head in the sand. you're info is appreciated but it's not a fair comparison. our airboxes and intakes are entirely different, not to mention the efficiency of our i/c systems and their ability to deal with any increase in iat's.

regardless, i'd like to see some true objective testing (on our platform).

btw, i've probably checked and/or removed my airboxes more times than you've had your hood up!
Bro I like you/posts, just disagree on what benefit/said mod will do, I'll be tracking it @ local 1/8 mile as soon as MB's finished warranty work That is true litmus test as you all agree...

PS..this isn't my 1st benz or Supercharged/Turbo'd car, or 1st airbox I've played with lol...
Old 06-29-2009, 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by bbearden
Vadim's setup looks trick, though it seems it was never finished and offered as a product. I don't know how he got the filters to fit up front with all the stuff in the way, not to mention the connection through the firewall. I would think a fair amount of relocation of A/C lines would be required. By far the best intake I have seen to date that sounded wicked was the ICE setup, but the company is now insolvent.

I want more than just intake tubes, as I don't want to utilize the factory filters. Here is an idea: seal off the factory tubes to the air box (after removing the stock filters) and the radiator supports and find a way to secure filters to the openings in the radiator support. Seems unconventional, though it would fix the hot air issue and would make for a noisy intake. The only issue not addressed is filter surface area to increase mass flow. Need to see what the clearance is in this area to size for the largest filter that will fit.
If the Fang setup was done in Carbon Fiber or plastic, it would work but as it sat all in metal tubing = big HEAT SINK, I bet that was main reason it never made it to production. It didn't work for sheet... CF would cost thousands to replicate design then make honest buck @ resale, to what maybe half dozen E55's
Old 06-29-2009, 09:07 PM

You think the Fang intake would work better if coated with ceramic coating inside and out? I realize this would increase the price of this setup, but its a cheaper alternative to carbon fiber.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:48 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E55
Originally Posted by Thericker
PS...It's not that my new Foam Cone filters are that good or better than OEM @ removing dirt/sand/rocks/ if you could mount the OEM's on the outside it'd do the same thing, except Foam Cones breathe loads better...
A good way to quantify the filtration qualities would be to have your oil tested.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Look for my results soon.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by ChicagoX
A good way to quantify the filtration qualities would be to have your oil tested.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Look for my results soon.
Cool, I remember your old posts on finding decent sized rocks lodged in airboxes etc

Edit:Good God! if Dealerships could/can use this type of testing on our engines after ECU-TCU-CAI-exhaust etc... they'd exclude ANY/ALL modded cars, I get the oil changed every 3k miles, I'm afraid of what these tests may say

Last edited by Thericker; 07-01-2009 at 06:24 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:33 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
Edit:Good God! if Dealerships could/can use this type of testing on our engines after ECU-TCU-CAI-exhaust etc... they'd exclude ANY/ALL modded cars, I get the oil changed every 3k miles, I'm afraid of what these tests may say
Fortunately for us, the tests cost money.

Excellent info for vehicle pre-purchase, if available......
Old 07-01-2009, 11:04 PM

2003 cl55 (sold)
think about what you're saying. the reason you used to find that debris in the bottom of your airbox is because the filters were doing their job!!!!! do you really think that new filer is that good or is it likely that now instead of staying trapped in the airbox the dust and debris is going straight into the motor?
Exactly what I was thinking.....
Old 07-01-2009, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Originally Posted by Juice1979
Of course I could but I was hoping that someone would have already tried this and had some results they could share
Please my post #16 and click on the link and see what one member came up with.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by jicl55
Exactly what I was thinking.....
Ignorance is bliss

The filter is blocking it from ever entering the airboxes, go open your boxes & research what I've done before condemning it. The 600 TT models even have a little mesh screen between pipes blocking larger rocks, do you actually believe/think HEAVY Sand/Rocks are passing thru my Foam Cones??? No def not I inspected them all on daily basis 1st few weeks to make certain they were solid...

I'm getting pretty tired of trying to offer my help/research/findings, carry-on w/your head in the sand, & rocks in this case... Whens the last time you chkd your airboxes? They fill up w/debris in 2-3 wks, filters on the outside does INDEED block ALL this crap from EVER entering TB's SC'r Turbo's, if it diddn't my V12 TT would've blown SKY HIGH in a week The air-inlets on my SL feed directly into the TURBO's if they allowed ANY Sand/Rock's in them it'd be toast, I've been running this setup for MONTHS. Take my advice/research or leave it, just trying to help...

Sheesh you'd think I was trying to sell Encyclopedias or something????

Originally Posted by Wryfox
Here's why no gains. You've traded a flat filter for round but basically same filter area. no net advantage. You've traded colder front grille air for hot engine air, particularly air that has already passed your radiators, let alone radiant heat from engine. The air slipping in through various openings in front of car won't make up for that.The only thing you have really done is shorten the air path by maybe 8 inches in an intake path that is something like 6 ft long before it gets to the cylinder. BUT, it does look cooler!

Why not explain to me HOW? Hooleyboy's C55 w/AMG kompressor and THIS STYLE INTAKE WORK Pictured below, ran 1/4 mile 11.75 w/1.56 60' 450 RWHP 522 RWTO it's a lil' beast power is @ stage 2 E55 levels!

Even though this is a different model car than E55, the same EXACT principles apply, it is the current big dog CL65 w/VRP825 kit makes 692 RWHP 912 RWTO 10.73 ET 1/4 mile @ 130.8 mph these intakes work when setup properly PERIOD...

Picture of kit on Jay's CL600

Last edited by Thericker; 07-02-2009 at 08:57 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

not that it has anything to do with the power those cars are making...but those are not foam filters.

one way to find out if your foam filter is doing the job you sayit is, is to spray your empty airbox with a light coat of filter oil and see what collects over the next several weeks. the coat won't hold onto the big stuff but it will trap any fine particles IF they're present.

Last edited by chiromikey; 07-02-2009 at 09:33 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
not that it has anything to do with the power those cars are making...but those are not foam filters.

one way to find out if your foam filter is doing the job you sayit is, is to spray your empty airbox with a light coat of filter oil and see what collects over the next several weeks. the coat won't hold onto the big stuff but it will trap any fine particles IF they're present.
I know that but the original post is asking for this info...
Originally Posted by Juice1979
I put this intake together from some pieces I had laying around and what to get some info from those who have dyno/track tested or even runs a similar setup. I know many are concerned this intake will take in hotter air from the engine bay but once the car is moving I think the iat's will be close to stock as there will be plenty of air coming thru the grill area. I also know that this intake will definitely dyno higher than stock as most dyno their cars with the hood open.

I have alot of experiences with american v8's both N/A and FI as im sure others on here do. In almost all cases intake setups like these outperform stock setups on both the dyno and track. Im curious as to why it would be different on this car?

I have been driving around with it on my car for a couple of days and cannot notice a performance difference from stock. Could just be that the butt dyno isnt calibrated sensitively enough. With as much power as these cars make a gain of 10whp would be hard pressed to feel. The only noticable difference is the much more pronounced supercharger whine.

Any input from tuners would be much appreciated as well..Thanks

...yes the stock filters are removed...

I'm not worried about my Foam Cones in the least, thank you for trying to help tho... I think it may do harm to my Turbo's the intake path which you told me to spray leads directly to Turbo-Inlets, I have no idea what that filter oil may do to Turbo's, the suction is extremly pronounced thru entire intake path above turbo's the oil would def enter the Turbo's...

Last edited by Thericker; 07-02-2009 at 09:51 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:50 PM

What I find impressive is that Jay's car works so well, especially given that the SLR coolers (I assume thats what they are) are sitting on top of the engine and all 4 K&Ns are inside the engine compartment of a turbocharged engine! Has anyone here honestly ever tried alcohol injection to cool the intake charge? The injector could be plummed right at the "Y" in our intake and also help cool the supercharger. They're cake to wire and you can install a switch to adjust at what boost level the alcohol is injected. Having felt how cold an intake charge with misted alcohol is, I can only imagine it would be an excellent mod for our cars and you get the cool air charge when you need it most under boost.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
What I find impressive is that Jay's car works so well, especially given that the SLR coolers (I assume thats what they are) are sitting on top of the engine and all 4 K&Ns are inside the engine compartment of a turbocharged engine! Has anyone here honestly ever tried alcohol injection to cool the intake charge? The injector could be plummed right at the "Y" in our intake and also help cool the supercharger. They're cake to wire and you can install a switch to adjust at what boost level the alcohol is injected. Having felt how cold an intake charge with misted alcohol is, I can only imagine it would be an excellent mod for our cars and you get the cool air charge when you need it most under boost.
Jay's CL600 didn't record those times quoted, just used his CL600 pictures wVRP825 kit...

Marko's CL65 recorded those crazy Et's Traps rwhp rwto, the kit works/fits ALL 600/65 V12 Biturbo models, not SLR Intercoolers specially fab'd larger 600/65 Intercoolers

Last edited by Thericker; 07-02-2009 at 10:28 PM.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i'd mount my intake on top of my headers if i could get slr style coolers for a FAIR price.

in theory meth injection as a chemical intercooler should work but several people have tried it with zero luck...at least when it comes to measurable performance.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:39 AM

05 C55
i always though a pair of these would make a decent setup being fed through the existing holes in the core support. not sure if they would fit in a tight engine bay though

http://www.knfilters.com/universal/apollo.htm