MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W211 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg-81/)
-   -   Getting Pissed off!!!!! (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/318413-getting-pissed-off.html)

preston27 09-25-2009 09:17 PM

Getting Pissed off!!!!!

I have had this car 1 month today and it's already been in the shop 3 times. One time for the mirror turn signal and noise like a deisel rattle. Another for a noise and a deisel rattle. And today for a I/C pump and a deisel rattle.
Everytime they say it's normal but I was at Renntech this month and heard one that sounds good and normal I understand what injector noise is. This seems to be a tempature deal sometimes it is much louder than other times it just that when the car is hot it's noticable but not that bad. When it starts cold in the morning it's fine as well then but as it warms up it gets very loud then when it hot it gose back to tolerable.
Even the dumbass service writer said "thats how deisels are supposed to sound" and they still gave it back and said "it's normal".
Why don't these dealers want to fix a car thats still under warranty? I am starting to miss my Porsche 993 C4S.

Forrest Gump 9 09-25-2009 09:28 PM

Go to a different dealer. It might be a simple loose heat sheild that rattle again your exhaust. anyway, good luck with your car.

jangy 09-25-2009 11:37 PM

What card do you have? Are you the original owner? Info, please....

Agree with the idea of new dealership...

MB_Owner 09-26-2009 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by Forrest Gump 9 (Post 3734565)
Go to a different dealer.

Aren't the service records of all M-B vehicles stored in a common database by VIN? If so, there's a record of what's already been done and the second service department can start from there. Go to more than a couple though with the same complaint and the file will likely get tagged for increased scrutiny.

Timeless 09-26-2009 07:37 AM

You might want to update your profile to the car you have so everyone will know and be able to help.

emoving 09-26-2009 07:55 AM

To gotta say, I am not sure what car you have but neither my C4S or my 55 made any noises like that.

320 dreamer 09-26-2009 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by MB_Owner (Post 3734964)
Aren't the service records of all M-B vehicles stored in a common database by VIN? If so, there's a record of what's already been done and the second service department can start from there. Go to more than a couple though with the same complaint and the file will likely get tagged for increased scrutiny.

i asked that question at my m/b dealer and was told the only records stored were those of work done at that dealer

Busta Riles 09-26-2009 12:11 PM

The only work orders that are stored by the entire MB network are warranty claims. You can search previous warranty claims by VIN at any dealer. Any servicing would only be held at the dealer where the work was done.

preston27 09-26-2009 10:35 PM

Sorry about the car info I have a 06 E55 with 23k miles. I am the second owner as this was a lease turn in from the DC area.

emoving 09-26-2009 10:42 PM

23k,,,,that thing should be cherry!

preston27 10-08-2009 04:04 PM

It's back in the shop again!

Now my car has 24k miles and is back for the same noise issue as before. The tech said he removed the belt from the S/C and the noise was still there. He is replacing the S/C clutch assembly and the belt tennioners because of the noise. He thinks the lifters are making the noise. Has anyone had to replace the lifters? I told him to do the same with the steering pump pulley and see if the noise is still there but he seems to think it's the lifters.
He also states there is no way to tell if the oil level in the S/C is good or if the gears in the S/C are making the noise.
Any Ideas?

CynCarvin32 10-08-2009 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by preston27 (Post 3754757)
Now my car has 24k miles and is back for the same noise issue as before. The tech said he removed the belt from the S/C and the noise was still there. He is replacing the S/C clutch assembly and the belt tennioners because of the noise. He thinks the lifters are making the noise. Has anyone had to replace the lifters? I told him to do the same with the steering pump pulley and see if the noise is still there but he seems to think it's the lifters.
He also states there is no way to tell if the oil level in the S/C is good or if the gears in the S/C are making the noise.
Any Ideas?

I have had 3 55 kompressor cars. They are all loud. The valve train sounds terrible and the hallow cam shafts accentuate the wonderful sound. You can get your heads re-built and when you fire it up the car will clatter away. It is just the way the lifters sound. Be glad you dont have a M156 that makes the loudest tapping sound if you catch it on a bad start up after being left still for a while. You would swear the car was about to self destruct.

Enjoy the car. There is no way to get rid of this sound.

Ask Hartmut Owner/Founder of RENNtech. He will agree these things just sound like that.

preston27 10-10-2009 03:17 PM

0-30 Shell ?

I got the car back and they replaced the S/C clutch. Still have the same noise. The tech said he ordered lifters. Then I was told this dealership uses Shell 0/30 weight synthetic. That seems way too light for this car and could explain the noise. I ran Mobile one V-Twin 20-50 in the 993 but I think that may be too heavy.
What do you guys and gals think?

mkonei 10-10-2009 10:01 PM

the valve trains in the 55 cars are noisy as hell, and there isnt a fix. mobil1 0-40 is factory fill, and that seems to be the most quiet in mine. i actually had a similar problem last year that went away with Chevron Techron added to the fuel. i thought the service adviser was out of his fn mind when he told me that they were sensitive to carbon buildup. MB put it in, and the noise went away. i now run Lucas after every few tankfulls, and no more issues.

kjlindgr 10-10-2009 10:18 PM

Jesus man...talk about picky. Get a Tesla Roadster if you want a quiet car. Yeah, it's an expensive car...but it's expensive because of the performance package on it. Modified cars are NEVER as quiet at their stock counterparts.

novae500 10-11-2009 10:28 AM

sorry to hear about the problems that you are having. what dealer is servicing your car? HBL? ASE Arlington?

preston27 10-12-2009 07:33 AM

Update!

It's getting worse than before. Now........ when the car is cold it sounds great for like 2 min. It's when it's warm that it makes noise and more than before. That was the reason for the oil question. MB dealer ordered some new lifters and I will try the Techron today.

cahiil55k 10-12-2009 10:04 AM

I had the really loud diesel tick before in my car. I was 2 quarts short on oil. Once it was topped off, the sound went away but was replaced with a quieter yet still annoying ticking sound. I've had a dealer's master tech look at it, and also had two independent MB-only shops look into it. I offered to pay to have it fixed and they all said it's normal.

preston27 10-12-2009 02:00 PM

The car says the oil level is good but I don't know what the level is.