W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Star Diagnostic How To DIY with lots o pics

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 07-14-2015, 12:54 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
'14 E500 Coupe
Originally Posted by Mackhack
Exactly. I'm not helping when it comes to Developer stuff. Too many people who claim they are the experts call me up after they ****ed up their cars to fix it again. Some bricked their expensive ECU, others ****ed up their AC or SAM or COMAND. If I would be the mod in this forum I would have deleted this thread a long time ago. There is a reason why Dev. Access is/was restricted to only the engineers and designers of the cars and not available to mechanics at dealerships and people like the ones here.

I said it many times before and I continue saying it: Developer access is no toy on the playground unless you have money to waste when it happens.
I dunno what to say... Bruce Oreck was at trafic light with me with his Cadillac today. You should stay away this topic if it's pi**** you off. I just kindly asked help, not smart arrss comment or even opinions.
Old 07-14-2015, 01:05 PM
Banned

Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally Posted by MouTine
I dunno what to say... Bruce Oreck was at trafic light with me with his Cadillac today. You should stay away this topic if it's pi**** you off. I just kindly asked help, not smart arrss comment or even opinions.
If you can't handle the truth go hide in the basement. If you don't like my opinion don't post where I am. Last time I checked I can post my opinion freely without censorship by Finns like you or anyone else.

As a matter of fact I might have given you more help by not posting the answer. Maybe one day you'll understand what I mean.

So why don't you go back to your CLK55 and continue messing around until you learned how to increase Vmax? Once you messed up send me a PM for help in undoing it.

I'm patiently awaiting your PM.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:44 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
'14 E500 Coupe
If you can't handle the truth go hide in the basement. If you don't like my opinion don't post where I am. Last time I checked I can post my opinion freely without censorship by Finns like you or anyone else.

As a matter of fact I might have given you more help by not posting the answer. Maybe one day you'll understand what I mean.

So why don't you go back to your CLK55 and continue messing around until you learned how to increase Vmax? Once you messed up send me a PM for help in undoing it.

I'm patiently awaiting your PM.
What truth? What help? You gave me nothing but childish bs. I asked help and you just picked me up for some odd reason and gave whole load of bad additude. Only PM you''ll get from me is a finger-up-pic. Thank you. I'm done with this and done with whole Mbworld forums.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:47 PM
Banned

I'm glad another wanna be Star Diagnosis person is off the board. I'm waiting for the finger pic. Whatever that means....
Old 07-16-2015, 12:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 SL55; 99 C43; 89 500SL AMG 6.0 (sold); 07 E63(sold)
I'm glad another wanna be Star Diagnosis person is off the board. I'm waiting for the finger pic. Whatever that means....
Why, because you think it's so difficult nobody can figure it out except you?

I was reading this thread for information on Star units (probably why most people end up here), and saw you had some for sale - but fat chance I'd buy anything from a condescending dick like you after I saw how you responded to someone you don't know who was only looking for answers to his questions. Pretty sure everyone who reads this thread will think the same thing.

Oh, and don't bother replying, I already know what you'd say - "good riddance, I don't want to sell anything to people who don't think the sun shines out of my *** anyways..."
Old 07-16-2015, 10:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by johnnay
Why, because you think it's so difficult nobody can figure it out except you?

I was reading this thread for information on Star units (probably why most people end up here), and saw you had some for sale - but fat chance I'd buy anything from a condescending dick like you after I saw how you responded to someone you don't know who was only looking for answers to his questions. Pretty sure everyone who reads this thread will think the same thing.

Oh, and don't bother replying, I already know what you'd say - "good riddance, I don't want to sell anything to people who don't think the sun shines out of my *** anyways..."
You got it all figured out didn't you? Apparently he did, too. But more importantly you just outed yourself. Arrogant, cussing at me, leeching and admitting you have no clue either or you wouldn't need to look up how stuff is being done in this threat. Why don't you learn how to use it on your own? Perhaps bricking stuff while learning it just like in the older days? Oh I forgot, that's why we have this forum. Click and I "know how it's done". That's not knowing. That's copy and paste work. And I can guarantee you, there is much more to it than just looking up pretty pictures in a threat. And if he can't find his 300 km/h limit on his CLK55 shows he is not driving a CLK55. He might put an AMG badge on with M3 but definitely not driving one. And that's a fact. I didn't use swear words against him not against you. I like helping and I continue doing so but I'm not handing out SD help left and right to just everyone who got his fingers on one. And you can ask people here in this and other forums who did get SD help from me before. The difference is they had a different approach.
Old 07-17-2015, 04:31 PM
Banned

OK my Finn brother... What version of DAS do you have? >2010 -> not possible. possible. If that doesn't help either send me a PM and I'll tell you what else you can do assuming you do have an AMG!
Old 08-11-2015, 06:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 2012 M156
Well that was quite a read.

I have a question that might be a little OT but relates to weather or not I get a Xentry SD Connect system for my 2012 C204.

My car was originally a Japanese version imported to New Zealand as is common here. The radio frequencies, NAV and language have all been regionalised to NZ. Does anyone know how they might have done that?
Old 08-11-2015, 09:11 AM
Banned

Yes. Send me a PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 03:44 PM

C63 2012 M156
Thanks Mac,

Are you able to discus that openly?
Are you concerned about forum rules transgressions or are there commercials involved?
Old 08-11-2015, 04:37 PM

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts
2016 S63, 2013 SL63
Good info!
Thanks
Vince
Old 08-12-2015, 05:50 AM

C63 2012 M156
OK one simple question, hopefully.

Do I need an SCN = Software Calibration Number to run offline vehicle module updates on my 2012 C63 using the like of http://www.cnautotool.com/goods-3183...Fi+201505.html
Old 08-12-2015, 10:07 AM
Banned

Chinese garbage.
Old 08-12-2015, 03:48 PM

C63 2012 M156
Chinese garbage.
Mac, please answer the question in a helpful and informative manner if you are able and wiling. I think that is the spirit of free forums that we should be encouraging and demonstrating.

Folks here have reported acceptable results with the non original, Asia sourced muxs and software including Teamviewer support and updates.

Back to the question.

I understand that with some systems later model cars are unable to do offline module updates.

Do we need an SCN = Software Calibration Number to run offline vehicle module updates on 2012 C63s using the likes of http://www.cnautotool.com/goods-3183...Fi+201505.html

Could this be tied to DAS vs Xentry dependency?

Many thanks in advance.
Old 08-12-2015, 04:12 PM
Banned

No doubt forums are there for help. But some people are such dyslexic that no help in the world will ever help them. I'm a big fan of help to self help. Maybe I should tell that to the people who spam my inboxes every single day about SD help??? The forum is there to help. Most have 1 or 2 or maybe 10 posts and realize nobody answers them about their SD questions and end up writing brown nosing PMs. And they never ever have helped a single person here or in other forums when you take a closer look at them.

Everyone is screaming they are SD profs. Everyone is screaming and yelling about developer mode and how important it is to have it. I bet max 5% of the users truly know the power they have at their hands with developer access. And the rest is hopelessly overstrained just with the regular features.

I'm always willing to help but when I get called out being rude or not answering in the way someone can grasp the information then I'm seriously not willing to help any longer.

But maybe it's because I'm offering non Chinese versions that last a life time and the software installation is as close to a genuine version as you can have it, no viruses, no error messages, no BS and people just try to buy a Chinese clone for a handful of peanuts and realize it's not working and now they try to suck my knowledge for free. You get what you pay for. And service, support and help cost money. Doesn't America stand for this? Nothing is free in this country. Never was, never will be. That's what the society was calling for. Money, money, money. It's all about this weak green back today.

Now let the scrutiny begin once again... But the ones who truly understand will get it!
The following users liked this post:
DJW17 (03-25-2021)
Old 08-13-2015, 06:19 AM

C63 2012 M156
Thanks for your considered reply Mac, I hear your frustration. I do entirely disagree with your nothing is free BTW. I have shared tremendous amounts of free information and advice with other enthusiasts over the years. I often find it is just as beneficial to teach as it is to be taught at times.

But this is risking getting seriously off topic.

If we can take the green backs out of the agenda for a bit, if possible, it would be interesting to hear the how folks have managed to work around the SCN issue with later model cars.

One thing that I think we will agree on is that this topic is as interesting as it is complex.

I think it would be good to see some of the technicalities given some air here. Of course, not just from you Mackhack, I see Nick and others did a good job of putting the puzzle together.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:05 AM
Banned

And so do I. Give lots of free info and help. Just check the neighbor threat about te fuel leak. I'm helping others getting their parts faster than dealerships can. Now if that is no valuable help I don't know what is then.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:32 PM

C63 2012 M156
And so do I. Give lots of free info and help.
Great, and understand that info received is appreciated and not taken for granted, by many here.

May I also suggest that you trust the membership here to support your product. I believe that even if you spelt out exactly how you procure and configure your Star systems, declared your margins and wrote a complete guide to developer mode coding, folks would still buy your ready to go kit. In fact I guess you would likely sell more. One example is the block off plate in the "Keeping Your Cool!!" thread. That is cutting a pattern in a piece of plastic/carbon, well documented with printable patterns posted yet folks are keen to pay someone to make one for them.

Each of us has different amounts of DIY inclination. I lean toward DIY though understand completely those who want to invest their valuable time elsewhere.

I have never met you Mac but I see you as someone with smarts and much to offer. I would encourage you, if I may, to feed the DIYers, they will appreciate you for it and I believe that being visible with that will build more trust in folks that want a turn key option.

Back to electronic vehicle diagnostics:

SCN work around for late model cars. Doable?
Vmax_ (10-31-2023)
Old 08-13-2015, 03:43 PM
Banned

Thanks Missionary. Appreciate the understanding. At least one does understand instead of always bashing if he/she doesn't get the answer they wanna hear.

I rather stick to my policy not spreading Developer info.

About SCN: it's absolutely doable. Doing it regularly on cars. If you're a master mechanic with paperwork you can go to MB and inquire for SCN database access (FDOK/VeDOK). But it's pricy. Last time I checked its in the ballpark of $5k/year.

Other than that there are no hacks/cracks or the like. But some claim there are and sell them to the folks who believe in it. Once the money is gone, so is the hope for a success in SCN coding

If you ever going to be in the area, feel free to meet.

Last edited by Mackhack; 08-13-2015 at 03:48 PM.
Old 08-14-2015, 05:13 AM

C63 2012 M156
Chur. As we say here in NZ. Bit of a hike to swing by for a beer unforch. I'm in US on business at times but not with my beastie.

I set up the manufacture/dealer/workshop tools for my Beema for the price of an ODBII cable and a (fair bit) of tweaking on various VMs including SCO *nix, so 5k/year is off the reservation to me.

THB Mac, I, at least, am still confused. Do you mind me asking, are you paying 5k/year to be able to do SCN coding?

About SCN: it's absolutely doable. Doing it regularly on cars.
Other than that there are no hacks/cracks or the like.
So without signing up for FDOK/VeDOK DB access it is possible for someone with a 2012 car to upgrade their various vehicle modules? If so how?

Speak as you might to a young child or a Golden Retriever.
Vmax_ (10-31-2023)
Old 08-14-2015, 12:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Missionary
Chur. As we say here in NZ. Bit of a hike to swing by for a beer unforch. I'm in US on business at times but not with my beastie.

I set up the manufacture/dealer/workshop tools for my Beema for the price of an ODBII cable and a (fair bit) of tweaking on various VMs including SCO *nix, so 5k/year is off the reservation to me.

THB Mac, I, at least, am still confused. Do you mind me asking, are you paying 5k/year to be able to do SCN coding?
I have access to it if needed. Other than that I'm doing it offline in the field.

Originally Posted by Missionary

So without signing up for FDOK/VeDOK DB access it is possible for someone with a 2012 car to upgrade their various vehicle modules? If so how?

Speak as you might to a young child or a Golden Retriever.
Yes.

Wuff-Wuff
Old 08-18-2015, 01:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'03 SL55 AMG | 2021 AMG GLE 63s Coupe
Came across this:

http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechc...-copyright-law

Hope this doesn't come creeping into our DIY MB world! Or has it already with this new SCN dealio?

Old 08-18-2015, 01:59 PM
Banned

SCN is around since 2002 at MB to be precise.
Old 08-19-2015, 04:14 PM

C63 2012 M156
I thought I should probably ask this here;
Do we know if FDOK/VeDOK data base
(SCN) access is required to activate option 471 LSD? Also is this a nice to have or is activation required for ESC to work properly post retrofit?
Old 08-24-2015, 05:30 AM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Mercedes CLS 55 AMG
This thread looks like it derailed from its original purpose. I've been very familiar with BMW's INPA/NCS Expert for years with my V12s, and over the last year I've learned quite a bit about Mercedes Xentry. There's nothing magical about it, or developer mode if you read German but you can screw things up severely. You rarely, if ever, need to go into developer mode to do most "mods" if you have offline programming enabled. I run a real STAR C4, but there's numerous chinese companies that sell multiplexors of quality. Read reviews. Most of the chipsets or boards used are manufacturered in china anyway, even in the real Mercedes systems.

Mack is helpful in some respects to people ... I've talked to him on other forums attempting to diagnosis certain issues, and he and I are on the same technical forum for Xentry which I assume is where most of his information comes from. The problem is Mack keeps a lot of information close to the vest, likely because he makes a business out of it, which is contrary to the purpose of these forums. I remember him asking me for an 06 firmware version for NTG1 which I sent, then not responding when I asked him for his "08" version he supposedly received from his "friend" at Harman/Becker... when in reality it came from MHH, and where I received mine from in the same thread he downloaded it.

Selling Xentry and multiplexors is very illegal though, by the way. You shouldn't **** people off when you're doing that on a very public forum.

But since Mack is being a tool in this latest series of posts, and I'm relatively new here vs Benzworld, I'm happy to tell anyone how to do the following mods through Xentry for free. Just PM me.

When I get the chance, I'll do write ups by section. It's not magic. It's just knowledge. Share it.

E-Class W211 / CLS W219

Air Conditioning:
– Turning on the HVAC to show the fan speed when on Auto
– Enable MAX COOL (Thermotronic only) in display
– Enable RECIRC on at speeds lower than 30 km/h / 8 mph
– Switch to Hot Country for faster cooling
– Enable “Hot Country” Level 2 for more cold air faster
– Change to allow fan speed adjustment on defrost
– Change amount of basic air circulation
– Change setting of outer air circulation position flaps
– Enable AC-OFF setting in combination with defrost and/or auto. Defrost off = AC Off (Default defrost off = AC On)
– Set stationary heater setting to “custom”
– Air circulation without auto switch off

Cluster Instrument:
– Enable fuel tank capacity in cluster display
– Date and time in additional display page
– Activation of navigation and telephone menu after retrofit
– Deactivation seat belt beep and/or seat belt symbol
– Deactivation seat belt pictogram in display
– Activation trailer loss warning
– Change distance co-efficient after changed tire size
– Activation diesel pre-glow pictogram on diesel engine vehicle
– Deactivation of “Please refill” pictogram on facelift models when reaching 1/2 of tank reserve
– Deactivation of engine control lamp
– Activation of engine fault pictogram
– Activation/Deactivation of battery control unit warning pictogram (comfort function level 1)
– Activation/Deactivation pictogram “Power Lock Emergency Unlock Active” after accident/rollover
– Deactivation of particle filter (Diesel vehicles only)
– Activation “Curvmatic” (Navigation/CI tells you verbally/visible that you’re approaching a curve too fast)
– Audio Menu (Station or Frequency change via steering wheel up/down button)
– Activation of “Fold-in Mirror” menu on MY2005 vehicles
– Adjusting of fuel consumption display
– Deactivation “Remove Key” pictogram and/or beep
– Deactivation “Switch Lights Off” pictogram and/or beep
– Deactivation “SOS Warning Message”
– Activation “power spikes pictogram

COMAND NTG1:
– Activation “Curvmatic” (Navigation/CI tells you verbally/visible that you’re approaching a curve too fast)
– Activation of DVD/TV video in motion (ECE COMAND APS NTG1 only)
– Change “Follow up time” of auto shut off time
– AMG boot up logo
– Activation of navigation after retrofit
– Activation of telephone after retrofit
– Software update SW 28/08

Anti-Theft-Alarm:
– Activation after retrofit
– Change of country settings
– Change volume alarm buzzer
– Change volume lock/unlock buzzer
– Change count of beeps when locking
– Change count of beeps when unlocking
– Change count of beeps when locked but one door is incorrectly closed
– Deactivation of interior motion sensor when sunroof closes automatically when it rains

AIRmatic:
– Lowering
– Calibrating if car stands cricket

Lighting:
– Activation of both rear fog lights
– Activation of cornering lights (MY2004 and newer only)
– Change of turn-on instant of low beam at dawn
– Change brightness of foot well lights during driving (Elegance and Avantgarde only)

Sunroof and Doors:
– Activation of memory feature sunroof
– Activation “Sunroof closes automatically when it rains”
– Activation of “Close windows and sunroof” with infrared key
– Recalibration jam guard sunroof

Engine:
– Deactivation of catalytic converter when sports catalytic converter is put in
– Deactivation of second catalytic converter lambda sensor when sports catalytic converter is put in
– Reset of “Mass Average Adaptation Data” on OM642 engines (after Air Filter Replacement)
– Initializing of throttle valve when changed
– Increase MAX SPEED to 160 mph (AMG only)

Miscellaneous:
– Activation of Tire Pressure Loss Warning
– Activation of Euro spec headlights/taillights turn on when unlocking car
– Change volume of Parktronic
– Change interval of headlight cleaning system
– Activation of seat ventilation “Summer Opening” (driver and passenger)
– Recalibration of rain sensor
– Reset SBC brake counter

ESP/Brake:
– Enable SBC-S and SBC-H

AMG Only:
– Designo Sound: Deeper, more aggressive sound from your AMG Engine and Exhaust System
The following 6 users liked this post by equitiesguy:
CLKx430 (03-05-2020), DJW17 (03-25-2021), Gcarpenter (10-03-2016), Grzegorz (04-13-2018), IanB (03-15-2016), K2 cfd (02-25-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Star Diagnostic How To DIY with lots o pics