W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

New to me E55 on Friday!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 10:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Smile New to me E55 on Friday!

Thanks for a great forum!. After much consideration I have settled on a new car. Found a 35K mile CPO 06 E55 for a good price. Friend of mine works for MB and checked the service history which appears all clean. Black/Charcoal. Flying out to pick it up on Friday.

I drove multiple M5s of the same vintage. The SMG transmission is extremely awkward and the lack of torque was annyoing in town. My wife needs the auto, and the e55 solves all that + seems to be more relaible to boot!

Any thoughts on items I shoud be sure not to miss in the inspection besides teh S/C pulley, rear airbags and seat bolsters?

I have a 14 hour drive home. Any suggestions on things I shoud play with?

I am an ASE certified technician, although I have a "desk job" that pays the bills. Can't wait to get this thing up on the lift and have a look. I have a 700 hp Chevy II that I drag race and ran SCCA for 13 years in a formula car, so I am OK with the power. Will be refreshing to be able to drive it to work though!

Thanks again for a great forum. Will post some pics when I get it home.

Greg
Old 04-27-2010, 10:46 PM

'04 E55 AMG
congrats. i have been trying to find myself an e55 but no luck. been looking for one since January. i work at volvo/mb and we've only had e63s come thru.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:47 PM

2006 E55, 06 Range Rover SC, 99 Vette, 86 Callaway Vette, 04 Super-Comp Vette (retired)
Originally Posted by GDB - E55
Thanks for a great forum!. After much consideration I have settled on a new car. Found a 35K mile CPO 06 E55 for a good price. Friend of mine works for MB and checked the service history which appears all clean. Black/Charcoal. Flying out to pick it up on Friday.

I drove multiple M5s of the same vintage. The SMG transmission is extremely awkward and the lack of torque was annyoing in town. My wife needs the auto, and the e55 solves all that + seems to be more relaible to boot!

Any thoughts on items I shoud be sure not to miss in the inspection besides teh S/C pulley, rear airbags and seat bolsters?

I am an ASE certified technician, although I have a "desk job" that pays the bills. Can't wait to get this thing up on the lift and have a look. I have a 700 hp Chevy II that I drag race and ran SCCA for 13 years in a formula car, so I am OK with the power. Will be refreshing to be able to drive it to work though!

Greg
Congrats and good job on the CPO as I am already finding, you may need the warranty . I just got my 06 about a month ago. As your an ASE tech you probably know what to look for, more than most.

Small world. I'm a Super-Comp racer, on hiatus for now (see Avatar).
Old 04-27-2010, 10:48 PM

e55
what did you pay?
Old 04-27-2010, 10:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a Rivera...via a Custom 24, Strat and Les Paul
Originally Posted by GDB - E55

Greg
Congrads and welcome. With your background, you know more than I could ever suggest. One thing you may want to try is turning off the traction control and flooring it. If you have a 14 hour drive home, my suggestion would be to bring the radar detector and another source for GPS. As for what to play with, I think you'll be surprised at how that right pedal will become your new favorite toy
Old 04-27-2010, 11:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 Silver E55
I spent the first 3 hours playing with my seat adjustments until I had the right combination. you will find many nifty features to play with. most of the things you can do , you dont want to be driving. the dash display will allow alot of personal changes , just read the manual control systems green section page 152- 177, temp, time setting , seat /steering wheel tilt for exiting car. others too. will take you a minute to change this to your time zone. how to work most of the dash and stereo display, its not touch screen but looks like it. I still go thru the manual find things to tinker with.... bring an Ipod or Iphone you will need hours of music between stops for speeding tickets if your not careful.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:18 PM

2005 Silver E55
PS here is another forum that can be helpful but also this cool link to fill you in on some cool features most do not know about on our cars , good reading before you get the car.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w211...ures-most.html
Old 04-27-2010, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Flying Spur
congrats post some pics once you get her
Old 04-27-2010, 11:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts
'14 E63s Estate, '21 RR P525, '22 GMC 2500, '23 G63
congrats - the 14 hour drive will be fun - agreed, bring a radar detector as it will come in handy. Also bring your ipod and an aux cord if it doesn't have integration. one thing that will hurt is your face after 10+ hours of perma-grin. after 5 years my E still puts a smile on my face everytime I fire it up.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 BEAST
Congrats, just check this out and do what it says before you embark on your drive, you'll be happy you did. And remember, the doors all need to be closed for the full two minutes.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...set-works.html
Old 04-28-2010, 12:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
Congrats on picking up the beast! Enjoy in good health!
Old 04-28-2010, 04:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'13 GT-R AMS Alpha 9+, CLA45, E55
Originally Posted by BenzoBoi
Congrats on picking up the beast! Enjoy in good health!
+1 Sun said it best! Enjoy her in the best you can. These cars are some of the best/most powerful sedans on the planet.

The drive home will hopefully be one to remember.

Like I told motorkas, please get yourself a nice radar/laser detector and save your own azz

And welcome to the AMG family!
Old 04-28-2010, 08:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
congrats on the purchase. You'll get to know the e55 really quick during the 14hr drive:-)
Old 04-28-2010, 08:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Congratulations, Glad you found the MBWorld W211 AMG Form.
Two things, most Es pull to the right, but that can be counteracted and made neutral by staying in the left lane.
When accelerating from a stop you may feel a jerk, stall, hiccup that is the SC engaging and is normal.
Oh and that yellow triangle means you are letting the smoke out of your tires.

Last edited by Yacht Master; 04-28-2010 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML550
Welcome to the fold. When I picked mine up after buying, I only had an 8 hour drive home. I didn't want the drive to end - the car is that amazing.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:46 PM

S63 AMG, E55 AMG,C Class AMG CLK55 AMG, Jeep Rubicon
I drove from Wisconsin to FL

I picked mine up in January and flew to Wisconsin, drove it back to Orlando.

Almost 20hours of driving I did on Friday and was home by Saturday evening.

Very fun, except I was driving on snow tires the entire time, so I couldn't really get on it.

I remember some a**hole cut me off, so I gunned to get around him and lit the rears up at about 85mph with the 245 snows on the rear.
Pretty scary, thank god for the esp.

Definitely bring another GPS, just in case your discs aren't updated, but you would not believe how well a GARMIN performs compared to the stock navi unit. I took mine back to Target after I got back home

Have fun and welcome to the club.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
shrimp boat
Here's another one for you to get familiar with the E55

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...y-obvious.html

Congrats on the purchase. Radar detector is a must when driving the E55.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cornfed gtr and m3
Congrats on the new ride. That 14 hour trip home is going to be a blast!!
Old 04-28-2010, 08:52 PM

E55
Originally Posted by DmanRox
Congrats and good job on the CPO as I am already finding, you may need the warranty . I just got my 06 about a month ago. As your an ASE tech you probably know what to look for, more than most.

Small world. I'm a Super-Comp racer, on hiatus for now (see Avatar).

Small world indeed! I am a S/ST racer myself! I gues it is not too surprising that drag racers woudl be attracted to cars with V8s and root style superchargers! What kind of issues have you experienced?
Old 04-28-2010, 09:02 PM

E55
Wow!

What a great group of enthusiats!! I certainly appreciate everyone's best wishes and will try to process all of it before getting behind the wheel! I am going to borrow a radar detector tomorrow! Suspect it will be difficult to behave myself on such a long trip.

I plan to use the washer lowering method when I get it home. It has the factory 18s and looks high in the front. Probably hold off on any other mods for now.

Some asked what I paid, and I will say it was the full pricvate party value, but got the CPO in the deal. I have bought several cars over the internet, but I am always heitant as to other people's definition of clean. We shall see.

Thanks again, and I will be back in touch!
Old 04-29-2010, 02:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
2017 Mercedes Benz E220D/GONE!JUNK!Current GLC Coupe 350d 4 Matic
Congrats!!!
Old 04-30-2010, 02:27 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

BBS LM's 18's + Kics
congrats and welcome aboard
Old 05-01-2010, 09:18 AM

'03 E55
Congratulations!! I'm glad to see another beast in the Orlando area...
Old 05-01-2010, 11:16 AM

E63 AMG
Also plenty of time to play with the command unit if you have it. I've had mine for about 8 months and just added my voice directory for the phone on my move out to Virginia. Good luck on the trip.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:29 PM

E55
Thanks everyone. It was a great trip. I am still blown away by the performance of the car. It is simply awesome. I feel like a kid with my first car again. My wife is driving it this week and it is driving me crazy!

When I got to teh dealer I saw a beautiful E in the showroom, but didn't realize it was mine!Clean inside and out. Only problem were leaky valve covers gaskets and some bad tires up front. Dealer stepped up and took care of both same day with all sorts ofapologies. New Pirelli's all the way around and their lead tech on the gaskets. I asked them if I could do an inspection withteh car up on teh rack and everything else looked in order including gaskets, bushings, drive shaft, air bags, shocks, etc.

Scared the crud out of the sales guy on the test drive. 120 mph on the entrance ramp... He said at least the car wasn't going to some old guy that wouldn't appreciate it.

Can't wait for some mods. Getting the Bluetooth, emblem, and window tint handled this week.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New to me E55 on Friday!