MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W211 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg-81/)
-   -   e55 valve tapping (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/379915-e55-valve-tapping.html)

black05scamg 12-19-2010 10:57 AM

e55 valve tapping

hi people i new to this fourm ive owned audi's for 10 years
i was in the market for an rs4 and i felt like like spending $40k was too
much right now in my life so i found an 05 e55 black on black with 80k
on it it was very clean so i pick it up love the power of it anyways
when i start my car it sounds ok when it gets to normal temp
i hear valve ticking is this normal for this car has anybody have this
problem aslo is it normal for the trans that it feels like it stays in gear
like when i slow down i feel it downshifting sometimes

e551986 12-19-2010 04:07 PM

can you make video , we have to hear that sound ,it can be a lot of things, but with video its easy to tell you

black05scamg 12-19-2010 04:37 PM

ok will do

X2Board 12-19-2010 05:54 PM

Yes, that is normal. These are noisy engines. I had the same concerns with my car when I first got it.

The transmission is adaptive and will down shift or hold a gear depending on how you are driving.

sneakyneon 12-19-2010 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by X2Board (Post 4419601)
Yes, that is normal. These are noisy engines. I had the same concerns with my car when I first got it.

The transmission is adaptive and will down shift or hold a gear depending on how you are driving.

+1

studd143 12-31-2010 04:34 AM

Hi, I have a 2004 e55 and am hearing a tapping noise when engine is warm and idle..do you have a link to your engine video? I'd like to compare... MB said the engine is healthy and normal sounds but one of my buddy seems to think its a valve lifter noise and that the sounds shouldn't be there......thanks bro! I'm thinking of getting the lifters replaced just to ease the sound but I know thats a costly job... The car is still way powerful and am running 94 Octane...it has 136k which isprobably approx. 80,000 miles

izzyz28 12-31-2010 05:40 PM

These engines are noisy. I noticed it right when I got the car, but 40K later the noise has not changed. It's actually pretty unsettling to hear, but that's the way they are. The transmission is indeed adaptive and will do all sorts of weird annoying things that "normal" transmission will not. You'll notice it'll downshift at a much higher RPM if you brake hard, or it could hold 3rd gear for a gentle right turn at 18mph. If you accelerate quickly it will likely hold onto the gear it was in for a while, even after you let off. Tapping the upshidt button solves the last issue. Frankly I don't like it as it's somewhat unpredictable and annoying, but that's what we have to live with.

studd143 01-01-2011 08:32 PM

Thanks for your reply Izzyz28 it was helpful. I've called MB and ask them to give me a price list to replace the valve lifters out of curiosity...still awaiting their call back for the part prices but they did say labour would be 550.00 CDN. They also recommended that I diagnose the tapping noises first which is tru...will report back once I have more feedback...but the car runs amazing...too fast lol...I got it 2months and got charged for stunt driving ...:(

AWOL 01-02-2011 01:34 AM

video would help

OK55 01-02-2011 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by studd143 (Post 4438306)
Thanks for your reply Izzyz28 it was helpful. I've called MB and ask them to give me a price list to replace the valve lifters out of curiosity...still awaiting their call back for the part prices but they did say labour would be 550.00 CDN. They also recommended that I diagnose the tapping noises first which is tru...will report back once I have more feedback...but the car runs amazing...too fast lol...I got it 2months and got charged for stunt driving ...:(

I'd be circumspect about this. These are sensitive machines that are sometimes best left alone. Let a proper diagnosis be conducted first. These bespoke engines make lots of sounds you won't hear in others.

You might also want to do a 'sneaky reset' as outlined in this forum to re-adapt yr transmission behaviour.

Brgds

SuperchargerV8 01-02-2011 08:31 PM

the sneaky ecu reset thing is good. but u dont always no if it has worked and u could be trashing the car trying to get the trans working how u like it when it has not even reset and u are wasting your time

OK55 01-02-2011 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by SuperchargerV8 (Post 4439438)
the sneaky ecu reset thing is good. but u dont always no if it has worked and u could be trashing the car trying to get the trans working how u like it when it has not even reset and u are wasting your time

You may have a point there but, in my case, I've found that if one follows the procedure it always resets. If I haven't reset for a while, after resetting I find the throttle becomes 'light' - tickling the throttle launches one half way up the road! Also, under full bore acceleration, the transmission no longer hangs onto the rev limiter in first.
Brgds

studd143 01-02-2011 11:22 PM

Thanks OK55, I will try to post a vid soon. Thanks for the suggestion AWOL. A week or so ago I did the ECU reset..as a novice I found it pretty easy...and I did hear the clicks and notice a HUGE difference..I did it only because I had recently changed the ball joints and the mechanic took off the front caliper and after we started it the car seemed to go into limp mode as the dash turned RED. After all was aid and done..I wasn't hearing the churp from supercharger..and it didn't feel the same. The ECU reset worked for me...

Always getting a proper diagnosis is the key and I will make sure and do that before touching this one of a kind engine..from what I'm reading thus far, it seems to be a loud at idle..stay tuned...thanks for all the advice and its really cool to be able to chat with fellow proud E55 AMG owners.

studd143 01-11-2011 05:24 PM

Hi guys...sorry it's been a while. The cost of valve replacement from Mississauga Benz in Canada is approx. $2500.00 for parts and plus approx $550.00 for labour and and of course uncle sam's taxes are extra. This is for the E55 AMG.

Now, I don't plan on going that route unless absolutly necessessary. I spoke to a KLEEMAN dealer who heard my engine and said it sounds helthy and normal.

I've uploaded a video with the engine sound at idle of my 2004 E55 AMG:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX1nxy2VW6A&sns=em

Let me know your thoughts...

The Benz technician and the KLEEMAN technicians all said it sounds normal for that engine but I'm not sure if they are right or not as I haven't had the chance to hear another E55..

Thanks and I hope this shed's some light on what I've been talking about with regards to engine tapping noise from my E55.

tgoss 01-11-2011 06:00 PM

Sounds good to me. :nix:

They are just noisy engines. No need to worry IMO.

AWOL 01-11-2011 06:04 PM

Mine sounds the same

X2Board 01-11-2011 06:10 PM

Dude, stop worrying and go enjoy your car.

I Like Soup 01-11-2011 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by studd143 (Post 4455499)
Hi guys...sorry it's been a while. The cost of valve replacement from Mississauga Benz in Canada is approx. $2500.00 for parts and plus approx $550.00 for labour and and of course uncle sam's taxes are extra. This is for the E55 AMG.

Now, I don't plan on going that route unless absolutly necessessary. I spoke to a KLEEMAN dealer who heard my engine and said it sounds helthy and normal.

I've uploaded a video with the engine sound at idle of my 2004 E55 AMG:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX1nxy2VW6A&sns=em

Let me know your thoughts...

The Benz technician and the KLEEMAN technicians all said it sounds normal for that engine but I'm not sure if they are right or not as I haven't had the chance to hear another E55..

Thanks and I hope this shed's some light on what I've been talking about with regards to engine tapping noise from my E55.

Love that sound. A 500hp V8 with a supercharger is gonna make some noise!

izzyz28 01-11-2011 07:28 PM

Sounds like you got one of the quiet ones.

One thing I have learned working on cars is that it is never wise to "fix" something that isn't broken, as the "problem" will remain and something else will be broken in the process so you end up with an empty wallet, the original "problem", and something entirely new to fix.

black05scamg 01-12-2011 12:33 AM

wow lol mine sonds the same i was worried so that noise is normal

black05scamg 01-12-2011 12:37 AM

I LIKE SOUP when you give gas do you hear you it at like 1500 rpms
also

ES EF ED 01-12-2011 12:57 AM

my 05 w/ 80,xxx miles sounds the same.

studd143 01-12-2011 10:45 PM

Thanks for all your help guys! I really appreciate all the feedback and my nerves are at ease. Time to enjoy...LOL

C32madness 01-13-2011 01:49 PM

I thought mine was noisy at 18k miles when I bought. Dealer changed lifters and it changed a little but never 100% quiet. PAy attention to the ZDDP levels of the oil you use and don't give it another thought.

I Like Soup 01-13-2011 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by black05scamg (Post 4456227)
I LIKE SOUP when you give gas do you hear you it at like 1500 rpms
also

I'm pretty sure the sounds goes away. I'll check it out this weekend after a tune.