W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Mercedes-backed extended warranty - Worth it or not?
Yep! You'll easily cover the savings in repairs.
85.71%
Nope! These things are a rip off.
14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Factory Extended Warranty and Repairs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2003, 03:24 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory Extended Warranty and Repairs?

My factory warranty will be up in another month. I still have 30 days left to purchase an Mercedes-underwritten extended warranty for about $2900. I'm planning to keep this baby for a while, so I'm thinking a little security might be in order. I haven't had to put much repairs under warranty into the car so far, but the few that I had, seemed like it could rack up to $2900 pretty quick, and therefore justify the cost.

Has anyone else kept an estimate of repair costs post-warranty on their e55? Do you think an mb-backed extended warranty is worth it? I've never been a big fan of extended warrantys, but this seems like a decent gamble.

Old 05-03-2003, 03:45 PM
Almost a Member!

2000 E55
I bought my 2000 E55 with 17k miles, last year at with a 7yr total Starmark warranty. Now have 26k miles. In the interval, needed a MAF sensor, a stuck CD changer repair, and a new battery, covered by the original factory warranty. I understand from the posts that many of these cars need new motor mounts at less than 50k miles. I'm glad I bought the warranty. Cost was $1500 for the additional 36 months after the factory warranty (4yrs) is up, max 100k miles. Although I'm not using the warranty yet, the pattern is not one of no repairs required. Should I sell before 2007, I'm sure that the resale price or ease of selling will be enhanced.
Old 05-03-2003, 04:45 PM

I'm generally against most types of insurance and warranty add-ons since the price is set at a level which, via thorough statistical analysis, has been determined to optimize the likelihood that the gurantor will collect more receipts than it pays out in settlements.
That is, consumers as a whole will pay more for their warrantees than they'll receive in covered services.

On the other hand, there is the 'peace of mind factor' to consider.

You have to weigh whether the added peace of mind will offset the likelihood that you'll pay more than you'll receive in covered services.
And of course there will be many who will buy coverage and save thousands of dollars. But for every one of those, there'll be 3 more who will come out on the short end.

Boils down to personality and how you feel about value and such.
No right or wrong answer here.
Old 05-03-2003, 11:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Porcelain Bus
Several of the aftermarket warranty companies offer a better product than MB at a lower cost. You can cover your vehicle for an additional 7 years or total 100,000 miles and get a prorated refund when you sell the car or transfer it. I would definitely recommend getting one and using it frequently because even if things are running well, your dealer will find a covered problem and fix it before it may cause a bigger problem. The dealership is a covered repair facility and is paid well for their service so they don't hesitate to "look" for covered items to fix.