MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W211 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg-81/)
-   -   For those with loud as hell lifters... (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/401516-those-loud-hell-lifters.html)

GT-ER 05-24-2011 12:09 AM

For those with loud as hell lifters...

I've had my lifters sounding so loud that I was on the verge of buying new ones and swapping them out. Well after talking to my brother ( who's been a mechanic for almost 20 years ), we started talking about oil filters and how he's worked on diesel engines that become VERY noisy with non-oem filters.

That said, I have never in my life used an oem filter on any of the vehicles I've owned because it's always an inconvenience for me to buy my oil from one place and the filter from another as I have yet to find a place locally that will have both at a good price. So I've been putting non-oem filters in my car.

WELL GUESS WHAT!? I popped in an oem filter just to see what would happen....and my engine noises went down an EASY 50%. My lifter noise went down so much it's amazing....just by changing to the oem filter.

My guess would be that the fleece oil filters flow considerably more allowing to oil pressure to stay high up in the lifter areas.

Cool eh?

splinter 05-24-2011 12:33 AM

Yours hasn’t been using a Mann+Hummel HU718/5 all along? :)

http://www.stankoff-bg.com/opencms/e...BAAEJwjOMP.pdf

GT-ER 05-24-2011 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by splinter (Post 4686898)
Yours hasn’t been using a Mann+Hummel HU718/5 all along? :)

http://www.stankoff-bg.com/opencms/e...BAAEJwjOMP.pdf

Nope....it's never made a difference in any car I've ever owned so I didn't see the point in getting it for my E55....:smash:

Roverron 05-24-2011 07:04 AM

which one filter were you using?

vraa 05-24-2011 07:21 AM

Who knew oem parts would make such a difference!

GT-ER 05-24-2011 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Roverron (Post 4687094)
which one filter were you using?

Purolator.

skratch77 05-24-2011 09:28 AM

You put an non fleece in there?youre crazzy!

GT-ER 05-24-2011 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by skratch77 (Post 4687207)
You put an non fleece in there?youre crazzy!

I've worked on cars for over 15 years and it's the first time it's mattered. Even my brother says it's ultra rare for the oil filter type to matter but the conversation came up due to his past experience with a particular diesel engine which did the same thing. Other than that, we've had RACE CARS ( I mean dedicated race cars that were beat to the ground in oval track and drag racing ) and we would always use purolator and fram oil filters and never had an issue with oil presser or contamination.

I guess the E55 must have a weak as hell oil pump or crappy lifters for the filter to matter as much flow wise. I've owned over 15 cars and this is a first for me. :nix:

skratch77 05-24-2011 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by GT-ER (Post 4687222)
I've worked on cars for over 15 years and it's the first time it's mattered. Even my brother says it's ultra rare for the oil filter type to matter but the conversation came up due to his past experience with a particular diesel engine which did the same thing. Other than that, we've had RACE CARS ( I mean dedicated race cars that were beat to the ground in oval track and drag racing ) and we would always use purolator and fram oil filters and never had an issue with oil presser or contamination.

I guess the E55 must have a weak as hell oil pump or crappy lifters for the filter to matter as much flow wise. I've owned over 15 cars and this is a first for me. :nix:

I was being sarcastic,maybe you have a failing pump or the fleece type really flow alot bettter.

GT-ER 05-24-2011 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by skratch77 (Post 4687224)
I was being sarcastic,maybe you have a failing pump or the fleece type really flow alot bettter.

Oh I didn't take it the wrong way, I'm cool with knowing I was an idiot in this case...lol. I'm actually more shocked than anything else.

I posted this up because I might not be the only one to do this and hopefully I can save someone else the aggravation I was going through with the lifters.

skratch77 05-24-2011 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by GT-ER (Post 4687248)
Oh I didn't take it the wrong way, I'm cool with knowing I was an idiot in this case...lol. I'm actually more shocked than anything else.

I posted this up because I might not be the only one to do this and hopefully I can save someone else the aggravation I was going through with the lifters.

Im glad it was an easy fix for you :y

GT-ER 05-24-2011 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by skratch77 (Post 4687309)
Im glad it was an easy fix for you :y

Thanks man.

BTW- I see no new updates on your traction control problems...so I guess the issue was solved for good?

skratch77 05-24-2011 12:33 PM

I took out some air and so far so good.im taking the car out today to test some more.its been raining so i never really got on it.

guysandiego 05-24-2011 02:55 PM

i have been using K&N for 2 years-- they were on sale.. My lifters are not quiet -- I wonder what an OEM would do? I thought the K&N would flow faster -- I cant remember what it sounded like before the K&N --- I also have all the insulation out from under the hood -- that makes a difference

GT-ER 05-24-2011 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by guysandiego (Post 4687731)
i have been using K&N for 2 years-- they were on sale.. My lifters are not quiet -- I wonder what an OEM would do? I thought the K&N would flow faster -- I cant remember what it sounded like before the K&N --- I also have all the insulation out from under the hood -- that makes a difference

Maybe the K&N wouldn't be so bad but I'm definitely sticking to OEM after this. No more purolator for my benz.

shardul 05-24-2011 03:46 PM

how much do you pay for OEM filter? In houston they cost about 9 bucks at the dealer.

GT-ER 05-24-2011 05:44 PM

$9!? That's insane. My dealer wants almost $40 for it and I bought mine at a local parts store for $20. Heck, even my purolator crap costs $12 at pepboys.

GarageShinyKyle 05-24-2011 10:45 PM

My best friends older brother a few years ago put together a very,very healthy high compression small block for his 68 chevelle and after finishing it up we filled it with oil and started her up and checked oil pressure and lo and behold barely anything. Every bad thought ran through our heads , pulled the motor out at midnight and started checking it over could not find anything wrong with it and for a hunch we took a look at the oil filter, and wouldn't you know it was collapsed! The brand ....purolator! The flow of the high volume oil pump was too much for the paper filter that purolator uses and was almost completely blocking flow I guess that's what you get for using cheap parts that are around and being too impatient to wait till the part store could get a wix. Long story I know but the point is use the factory stuff its designed for the engine and not to fail basically what is happening is the aftermarket filters are blocking more than filtering.

fibercus 05-24-2011 11:17 PM

I always used OEM since they often are patented and aftermarket change the dimensions (to avoid copying) and it doesn't have the same flow or filtering effect. Though on this engine probably doesn't make a difference really but just to keep in mind,

Jakpro1 05-24-2011 11:47 PM

Scary, top end not getting enough lube. Glad you found the culprit.

GT-ER 05-24-2011 11:54 PM

Too bad my lifters still make noise. A lot less no doubt, but not completely silent like a $100K car should be. :rolleyes:

At least I can't hear them from inside the car anymore...lol.

benz_addict 05-25-2011 02:12 AM

You just made me buy OEM oil filters for life! I mean It's not that I don't use OEM filters but I won't ever rethink about going aftermarket. They are about 30$ here and after market ones are about 10-20$. That 10$ difference can result in a $5000 difference in a engine repair. Stick to OEM filters!!

skratch77 05-25-2011 03:40 AM

Stupid question but what brand does mb use?iv been using a mann fleece filter for the last 4 oil changes and so far so good.

RobertG 05-25-2011 08:18 AM

Last year I installed a purolator oil filter on my wife's car, during winter's cold starts, engine's valve train made noise.When I changed the oil and filter this spring I noticed that the oil filter was collapsed.
I will never put on a purolator on a Benz again.

novae500 05-25-2011 08:30 AM

i've been using mann fleece filter for my oil filters. Is that OEM?