MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W211 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg-81/)
-   -   Switching Off The ESP for Street (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/408264-switching-off-esp-street.html)

Lycan 07-17-2011 10:51 PM

Switching Off The ESP for Street

Hey Guys,

I do really notice under heavy acceleration how the traction control retards the spark. Got to do a few hard runs on a back road and really noticed it. So is driving with the ESP off for the street pretty stupid? I haven't tampered with it yet living here in DC. But out on the open back roads I wonder if it would really create more of a hazzard than fun.

Any opinions on this?

GT-ER 07-17-2011 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Lycan (Post 4759508)
Hey Guys,

I do really notice under heavy acceleration how the traction control retards the spark. Got to do a few hard runs on a back road and really noticed it. So is driving with the ESP off for the street pretty stupid? I haven't tampered with it yet living here in DC. But out on the open back roads I wonder if it would really create more of a hazzard than fun.

Any opinions on this?

It doesn't retard the spark ( or rather, I have yet to see it do this )...what you are feeling is the ECU closing the throttle body ( or opening the bypass valve ) to lower boost.

When you say, driving with the ESP off...do you mean in dyno mode? I tried this once but my car would barely brake for some reason ( felt like the SBC was in emergency mode ) so I turned dyno mode off again and everything went back to normal. :nix:

Lycan 07-17-2011 11:26 PM

GT,

I wasn't sure if it was retarding the spark or not. Closing the throttle body to scale back air to fuel does sound logical. What I noticed on a few hard pulls from 0 to about 100 was that at the slightest wheel spin the system would pull back and go limp for a quarter of a second then shift one gear higher and then resume. It was almost impossible to break the back tires loose even in a turn (not that one really wants to do this).

In contrast I took out a 500 HP GT-500 and was breaking the arse out everywhere at all times. It was annoying. But...for having 507 HP on tap one would thing (with 265 series tires) that the MB would be spinning like mad. Right?

In the W211 E63 there is only one button in the car for TC/ESP...it's on the center consol...one can leave ESP on or turn it off...only choices.

GT-ER 07-17-2011 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Lycan (Post 4759555)
GT,

I wasn't sure if it was retarding the spark or not. Closing the throttle body to scale back air to fuel does sound logical. What I noticed on a few hard pulls from 0 to about 100 was that at the slightest wheel spin the system would pull back and go limp for a quarter of a second then shift one gear higher and then resume. It was almost impossible to break the back tires loose even in a turn (not that one really wants to do this).

In contrast I took out a 500 HP GT-500 and was breaking the arse out everywhere at all times. It was annoying. But...for having 507 HP on tap one would thing (with 265 series tires) that the MB would be spinning like mad. Right?

In the W211 E63 there is only one button in the car for TC/ESP...it's on the center consol...one can leave ESP on or turn it off...only choices.

Yeah, but turning the ESP off with the button on the console doesn't FULLY turn it off. It just gives you more room to spin the tires before it activates anyways. It's a problem for me because if I want traction control then I'll leave it ON...why would I want to turn it off and have it assist me anyways? I hate it.

tbal 07-18-2011 12:07 AM

In dry weather... Obviously lol I drive with ESP off, car just feels much better, throttle response seems to be smoother too. You have to be careful yes or the rear end will fish

outrun 07-18-2011 12:34 AM

I never turn it off unless I plan on lighting the tires up. I consider myself a decent driver as I have done a good deal of racing over the years, but this car is way too expensive and way too much of a handful when it starts to go sideways. I'd rather let the "nanny" keep me from hitting a curb/tree/phone pole/hooker.

Plus I don't want to make a thread that says...

Turned off ESP. Hit a wall. Will this buff out?

Lycan 07-18-2011 12:38 AM

Good point, Outrun...

Like I said...I'm not too balsy with the car on the street. It's way too expensive to spin off the road and land in a ditch. It's easier for me just to ask the "hard questions" here in the forum:-)

I play in wide open spaces where nobody else is around...

AWOL 07-18-2011 01:18 AM

I always run with it on. Its better to have it kick on than spin the tires, hit the redline, have it shift, then bog down.

Mantooth 07-18-2011 01:32 AM

I always turn ESP off when I get into the car. I wish you could COMPLETELY turn it off, though. That kind of bugs me.:smash:

PACougar 07-18-2011 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by Mantooth (Post 4759661)
I always turn ESP off when I get into the car. I wish you could COMPLETELY turn it off, though. That kind of bugs me.:smash:

I know what you mean, it's like checking the mirrors for me I just turn it off automatically.

jmb614 07-18-2011 09:03 AM

Do you guys turn it off at the track or leave it on? If you turn it off, how do you manage to get any traction?

GT-ER 07-18-2011 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by jmb614 (Post 4759826)
Do you guys turn it off at the track or leave it on? If you turn it off, how do you manage to get any traction?

By using my right foot properly.:D

jmb614 07-18-2011 09:30 AM

How did I know you were going to say that, lol :)

AWOL 07-18-2011 11:07 AM

At the track, when youre doing it right, the traction light should not even light up

Forrest Gump 9 07-18-2011 11:35 AM

Welcome to dyno mode. Please proceed with caution.

In dyno mode the traction control is totally off. I'm too yellow to ride in this mode. I did it once for about half an hour and my DR paid dearly for it. It was fun and scary at the same time.

tbal 07-18-2011 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by GT-ER (Post 4759831)
By using my right foot properly.:D

Lol agree

Jon2007E63P30 07-18-2011 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by outrun (Post 4759609)
I never turn it off unless I plan on lighting the tires up. I consider myself a decent driver as I have done a good deal of racing over the years, but this car is way too expensive and way too much of a handful when it starts to go sideways. I'd rather let the "nanny" keep me from hitting a curb/tree/phone pole/hooker.

Plus I don't want to make a thread that says...

Turned off ESP. Hit a wall. Will this buff out?

My position exactly.

As for turning it off on the track? Get stickier tires. Like someone said, it does not come on if you are doing it right.

However, once you get to a certain level, turning it off will reduce lap times.

citylightva 07-18-2011 03:32 PM

Off in the 63 is OFF...I've had this pig at 45 degree slip angle at 70mph coming out of an off camber downhill kink :D on track obviously...Dunno about 55's but on the 63 all TC and ESP are doing is modulating your brakes where it deems appropriate...On a road course it will feel solid, but you'll be chewing the hell out of your brakes...

These cars aren't exactly balanced on knife edge...Turning it off doesn't mean it's going to wildly careen anywhere...Everything is almost slow motion and beyond predictable...

jmb614 07-18-2011 07:55 PM

I meant at the dragstrip, no way my car is going to a road coarse without coil-overs. :)