Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help Please "possibly undervoltage"

Old 08-12-2011, 02:46 AM
ASP

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
2016 Freightliner "daily driver"
Need Help Please "possibly undervoltage"

My issue started about a month ago when I helped my friend jump his car. I was driving home and a message appeared "convenience functions currently unavailable". I drove home the light went away, 5 minutes later drove to the store and the message appeared again. I opened the trunk took everything out and found the + terminal had came loose so I re-attached it and the problem went away. A few days later my front left headlight stopped turning on when I would start my car and threw an error code but started up fine by it self within 15-20 sec. It didn't bother me much so I didn't put the two issues together. Also for the past month my car just doesn't feel the same I feel horrible lag from the transmission and the engine and about a week ago threw 5 codes which were 3 cylinders misfiring and a p0505, cleared it and no issues again. Today I drove to the store parked my car saw I was sticking out too far started my car within 20 sec and the red battery light came on. I put the car in dyno mode to monitor voltage on my drive home which was at 13.4-13.2 all the way home. I've replaced both the battery's and alternator about 1 year ago. I am stuck as to what else it can be? could I have fried my alternator when the + terminal came off and cause all of these issues?

Last edited by ASP; 08-12-2011 at 02:49 AM.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:56 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Whatever we're tuning!
Originally Posted by ASP
My issue started about a month ago when I helped my friend jump his car. I was driving home and a message appeared "convenience functions currently unavailable". I drove home the light went away, 5 minutes later drove to the store and the message appeared again. I opened the trunk took everything out and found the + terminal had came loose so I re-attached it and the problem went away. A few days later my front left headlight stopped turning on when I would start my car and threw an error code but started up fine by it self within 15-20 sec. It didn't bother me much so I didn't put the two issues together. Also for the past month my car just doesn't feel the same I feel horrible lag from the transmission and the engine and about a week ago threw 5 codes which were 3 cylinders misfiring and a p0505, cleared it and no issues again. Today I drove to the store parked my car saw I was sticking out too far started my car within 20 sec and the red battery light came on. I put the car in dyno mode to monitor voltage on my drive home which was at 13.4-13.2 all the way home. I've replaced both the battery's and alternator about 1 year ago. I am stuck as to what else it can be? could I have fried my alternator when the + terminal came off and cause all of these issues?

The voltage from the alternator might be fine but the amperage is too low. Take a meter reading from the alternator and test for amperage.

Any shock, like jumping another car, can cause undue stress on the charging system and possibly cause an issue. Anything is possible. Good luck.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
05 E55 AMG, E320 CDI, Turbo E46 M3,IS300 2JZGTE,VQ35 Turbo Maxima, Mercedes 300D
A visit to local Autozone or Checker/O'Reilly should be able to do a test like this for you. They would do a load test for current

I had loss of convenience functions too, battery was replaced only a year ago ... turned out to be only a loose battery terminal. For you it could be terminals on the alternator too.

Originally Posted by TTMotorsports
The voltage from the alternator might be fine but the amperage is too low. Take a meter reading from the alternator and test for amperage.

Any shock, like jumping another car, can cause undue stress on the charging system and possibly cause an issue. Anything is possible. Good luck.

Last edited by turbo97se; 08-12-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:08 AM
ASP

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
2016 Freightliner "daily driver"
So I went ahead warrantied my alternator now charging at a steady 14.2 volts! problem solved