MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W211 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg-81/)
-   -   W211 KW Coilover Swap Part 3 (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/411393-w211-kw-coilover-swap-part-3-a.html)

Htownbrother 06-20-2012 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Benz Works (Post 5248813)

Email sent.

spinn 06-20-2012 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by chipnpulley211 (Post 5248794)
I am interested in converting my 55 to coilovers please send me a pricing on all the parts that are needed for this conversion.. 2003 E55.. Thank you very much I appreciate it.

Best to take some time and read through the whole thread. I post the modified parts list at post #228.

SamBoler 06-22-2012 07:40 PM

Best modification so far!! Car goes in the direction you want it to now much better

vettdvr 06-23-2012 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by SamBoler (Post 5252058)
Best modification so far!! Car goes in the direction you want it to now much better

Let me now see if I understand, the coil overs are much better than the air suspension. On this site people have been taunting how great the air suspension is and it is way advanced and better for the car and now coil overs are better?

Wish mine had coilovers from day 1. :)

FASN8N 06-23-2012 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by vettdvr (Post 5252598)
On this site people have been taunting how great the air suspension is and it is way advanced and better for the car and now coil overs are better?

You must have been reading a different site about a different car? I can't recall anyone ever raving about the air suspension on these cars :nix: the only benefit to air suspension is that you can raise/lower the car electronically

vettdvr 06-23-2012 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by FASN8N (Post 5252605)
You must have been reading a different site about a different car? I can't recall anyone ever raving about the air suspension on these cars :nix: the only benefit to air suspension is that you can raise/lower the car electronically

IT was this site but under w211 and raise/lower is just an expensive do da that adds expense at the cost of reliability.

SamBoler 06-23-2012 03:18 PM

The handling characteristics of air suspension is terrible.

The only way someone would say it's good is if they never took a turn "aggressively". Maybe they like the ride comfort?

cij911 06-23-2012 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by SamBoler (Post 5252984)
The handling characteristics of air suspension is terrible.

The only way someone would say it's good is if they never took a turn "aggressively". Maybe they like the ride comfort?

Terrible - no way. Post some track times (road course) and show me a 5+ second improvement.

I think the air suspension is nice for a luxury cruiser, but I also think each design has its purpose.

All this said, I am sure I would consider going this route if I was looking at some major $$ suspension repair bills.

spinn 07-09-2012 02:08 PM

if anyone in SF Bay Area is planning to install some KW V2 coilovers (already purchased) on their W211, please get in touch with me. Looking to fabricate a rear shim to give it some extra clearance (to avoid alignment issues), but need the loose rear spring perch to vacuum-form a copy. Don't want to go through removing mine at this time.

Peter_02AMG 07-09-2012 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by spinn (Post 5274210)
if anyone in SF Bay Area is planning to install some KW V2 (already purchased) on their W211, please get in touch with me. Looking to fabricate a rear shim to give it some extra clearance (to avoid alignment issues), but need the loose spring perch to vacuum-form a copy. Don't want to go through removing mine at this time.

what does this perch look like? I might have extra.

spinn 07-09-2012 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Peter_02AMG (Post 5274260)
what does this perch look like? I might have extra.

I doubt you'd have an extra...it's the part that sits between the chassis and the coil. It is the perch and adjustment cylinder piece in the kit.

infantry 07-09-2012 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by spinn (Post 5274276)
I doubt you'd have an extra...it's the part that sits between the chassis and the coil. It is the perch and adjustment cylinder piece in the kit.

Like a camber plate?

spinn 07-09-2012 04:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by infantry (Post 5274421)
Like a camber plate?

Not really...it's to hold the rear springs.

It's the black piece in the photo. That holds the spring within the lower control arm and it's compressed against the chassis.

Looking to 'borrow' one without having to disassemble my setup.

timeToy 07-09-2012 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by spinn (Post 5274210)
if anyone in SF Bay Area is planning to install some KW V2 coilovers (already purchased) on their W211, please get in touch with me. Looking to fabricate a rear shim to give it some extra clearance (to avoid alignment issues), but need the loose rear spring perch to vacuum-form a copy. Don't want to go through removing mine at this time.

What kind of alignment issues did you experience ? Is it related to the coilover swap or to the "new" ride height ?

spinn 07-09-2012 05:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by timeToy (Post 5274499)
What kind of alignment issues did you experience ? Is it related to the coilover swap or to the "new" ride height ?

one is a result of the other, so yes to both, the coilover swap lowered my ride height. You can check out my Alignment check results. Whether it's really that bad is debatable. I would like to not have to buy a camber kit for the rear, as I think it could be adjusted a little more if there was a shim available for the spring perch. The KV V2's don't allow stock ride height and the minimum setting is 1.2" lower than stock; I'd like to be only about 0.8" lower.

Peter_02AMG 07-10-2012 01:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by spinn (Post 5274437)
Not really...it's to hold the rear springs.

It's the black piece in the photo. That holds the spring within the lower control arm and it's compressed against the chassis.

Looking to 'borrow' one without having to disassemble my setup.

That not it than. i got something like this.:confused:

Attachment 239565

spinn 07-10-2012 02:28 PM

Is that what was part of that KW tool kit? My kit didn't come with the tool kit. Is there a part# for it (just to see what it's for)?

The discs in front...what are they made of? Can you provide some dimensions and a side view of it? That may be what I need. The Mercedes shims/perches can't be used with the KW system, due to the need for the adjusting cylinder. Thanks!

Bimbis 07-11-2012 03:28 AM

Serge, kindly pm me the parts list. i'm seriously considering swapping out for my E320. Do you have a pic of the finished product? i'm not looking for a ride lowering kit. i just want to be rid of the airmatic system but with the same ride height maintained when i'm done. thanks.

spinn 07-11-2012 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Peter_02AMG (Post 5275784)
That not it than. i got something like this.:confused:

Attachment 239565

Thanks for the info Peter! That looks like it will solve my dilemma.

spinn 07-11-2012 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Bimbis (Post 5276879)
Serge, kindly pm me the parts list. i'm seriously considering swapping out for my E320. Do you have a pic of the finished product? i'm not looking for a ride lowering kit. i just want to be rid of the airmatic system but with the same ride height maintained when i'm done. thanks.

What you want to do is simply buy the stock shocks and springs for a non-airmatic E320 system if you don't want to be lowered. Install is relatively straightforward, provided you have someone that is knowledgeable in removing the airmatic components properly.

christiandel11 07-17-2012 04:36 AM

Hey guys,

Airmatic has officially failed in my E55... I'm looking at doing either D2 or Kspot coilovers now... Any thoughts? Any additional parts I'll need in addition to the ones provided in the kit?

Thanks a lot! :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ksport-Kontr...vxp=mtr&_uhb=1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/D2-Racing-RS...ht_1769wt_1189

Htownbrother 07-17-2012 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by christiandel11 (Post 5284870)
Hey guys,

Airmatic has officially failed in my E55... I'm looking at doing either D2 or Kspot coilovers now... Any thoughts? Any additional parts I'll need in addition to the ones provided in the kit?

I bought the ksports from vividracing in Arizona. I haven't installed them yet but there's a pdf files I believe in this thread with all the additional parts. Serge keeps them in stock ready to ship.
I'm getting my ksports installed as soon as I get back from vacation....praying the airmatic holds up to get it all done.

spinn 07-17-2012 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by christiandel11 (Post 5284870)
Hey guys,

jump to post#228. For the Ksport or D2, you might not need the stock top mount for the front coilovers as it might already be included in your coilover package...verify if you do...the KV V2's do not come with them.

spinn 07-17-2012 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Htownbrother (Post 5284875)
I bought the ksports from vividracing in Arizona. I haven't installed them yet but there's a pdf files I believe in this thread with all the additional parts. Serge keeps them in stock ready to ship.
I'm getting my ksports installed as soon as I get back from vacation....praying the airmatic holds up to get it all done.

Post photos of the Ksport package prior to install...just to see what's actually included, so we can see whether certain parts aren't needed. Thx.

christiandel11 07-17-2012 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by spinn (Post 5285043)
jump to post#228. For the Ksport or D2, you might not need the stock top mount for the front coilovers as it might already be included in your coilover package...verify if you do...the KV V2's do not come with them.

Thanks Spinn. I just called the D2 guys, they said all I'll need to swap them out is the rear lower control arms, and when I called the Ksport guys they said I won't need ANYTHING, they say the kit comes with everything I'll need for the install... Not sure if they know what they're talking about after looking through this thread...