MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W211 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg-81/)
-   -   What is the final word on paddle shifters on the E55? (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/421189-what-final-word-paddle-shifters-e55.html)

CityOfAngels 10-30-2011 03:24 AM

What is the final word on paddle shifters on the E55?

Ive searched the forum looking for threads on converting the E55's shift buttons to the E63 style paddle shifters but see a bunch of different answers. I see many people manually switching them out and changing the computer chip, etc. Is there a direct and easy swap for a 2006 E55?

Yusuf501 10-30-2011 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by CityOfAngels (Post 4896058)
Ive searched the forum looking for threads on converting the E55's shift buttons to the E63 style paddle shifters but see a bunch of different answers. I see many people manually switching them out and changing the computer chip, etc. Is there a direct and easy swap for a 2006 E55?

+1 ????

tbal 10-30-2011 04:42 AM

edit lol

Intrested in doing this aswell..

£ C43 £ AMG £ 10-30-2011 05:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by tbal (Post 4896088)
2011: Infiniti g37 Sedan
with 328hp, its luxury that thrills.

2003: Mercedes E55 Sedan
with 493hp, its luxury that makes your pants wet

just bit drunk yes.

:rolf:

Use the DIY thread, its the best way to change to E63 paddles.

I have also seen Carbon shifters ...........

grimm 10-31-2011 01:18 AM

Definitely check out the DIY thread. That's what I used in doing my mod.

The modification does involve some dremeling/machining of the e63 aluminum paddle and plastic retainer, as well as cutting down the size of the circuit board which you mine from your existing buttons on your steering wheel.

From what I understand, the e63 switch will not work in most cases, so you need to re-use your e55 switch.

It's a bit of work and involves some tweaking and cutting, but if you are attentive and careful with your work, it will turn out nicely. Several hours worth of work if you're unfamiliar with what needs to be done.

pearlpower 10-31-2011 03:15 AM

Several DIY on the mod, easy to do, time consuming is all.

SuperChargerE55 09-24-2015 07:55 AM

linky?

55fanatic 09-24-2015 08:58 AM

I have some friends who are manufacturing a set of direct replacement paddles for the E55. So no retrofitting. They've already prototyped a set on my steering wheel, and they're moving to production soon

Check out onrailsengineering.com

s.i.f.i. 09-24-2015 12:55 PM

This probably makes more sense than what the PO did to get paddles on my car, install the (insert insane price here) Brabus steering wheel.
Not that I'm complaining!

2000UZJ 09-24-2015 01:04 PM

I wouldn't mind a stick-on solution. A good epoxy would be nice. I'm not really looking to tear apart my steering wheel

HeissRod 09-24-2015 01:37 PM

What is the final word on paddle shifters on the E55?

E55

Elhonaz 09-24-2015 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by 55fanatic (Post 6565642)
I have some friends who are manufacturing a set of direct replacement paddles for the E55. So no retrofitting. They've already prototyped a set on my steering wheel, and they're moving to production soon

Check out onrailsengineering.com

Please let us know when this happens! Any pics of your setup?

Sphinx144 09-24-2015 02:13 PM

do let us know when they come out! I do not feel like disassembling the steering wheel just to add bigger paddles.

latemodel21 09-24-2015 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by CLK_350_Coupe (Post 6565608)
linky?

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ml#post5290359

A nice solution using the AMG paddles has been popular from DCT motorsports for more than 3 years now.

2003 and 2004 E55's become plug and play using the "Paddle Converter Module". The module is available from DCTmotorsports as part of wheel upgrades or can be purchased on its own. In Europe, ComandonlineUK stocks this module ... OR, you can get it directly from me (I am the manufacturer).

2005 and later E55s are already electronically compatible with the AMG paddles (and therefore do NOT need the "Paddle Converter Module")

For those wanting to do this on there own, I can supply some useful instructions for modifying the E55 wheel for paddles (I have converted more 100 E55 wheels to paddles over the last 3 years and have created some instructions with annotated pictures) . I also have a laser-cut template that I supply with the paddle converter module (that I can send out separately as well).

Cheers,
Chris

TheOtherDodge 09-24-2015 05:42 PM

Why would anyone want to do this? They are very unresponsive and don't shift exactly when you actually engage them.

latemodel21 09-25-2015 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by TheOtherDodge (Post 6566176)
Why would anyone want to do this? They are very unresponsive and don't shift exactly when you actually engage them.

I'll presume your question is NOT rhetorical and you are actually curious. While those who view their Mercedes as a quarter-mile car may have little need for shifting gears manually (yes, the car will never shift "exactly" when you bump the touchshift or use a paddle) ... for every other form of spirited driving, shifting is more convenient with paddles ... For downshifting on corner entry and just keeping it in the right gear in the hills what other choice to you have (other than shifting?) I would think that if you used manual mode on your e55 you would get to like the paddles. ... and you would likely find that the car shifts (downshifts in particular) close enough to instantly after you push the paddle.

While it could be argued that adding paddles will not likely improve your ET .... It can never be said that (unlike some other mods) it will require you make any compromises to your Mercedes in terms of ride quality and comfort.

For myself, I started (7 years ago) with an AMG that had no paddle option (SLK32), and even if I had not come from a racing background (10 years racing in NASCAR and then other forms of racing as well), I'm sure I would have been dis-satisfied with just the touchshift. So I created a kit for the R170 and Chrysler crossfires to add a factory-like paddle implementation. Was it for everybody ? no ..... are a lot of people enjoying the kit ? (hell)yes.

Then 4 years ago, I created the paddle converter module to solve this issue of making paddles plug and play on early 2003 through 2004 e55s (and 2003-2006 SL, S, CLK, CL 55s) .... Is this upgrade for everybody? no ... Is it for anybody who likes to shift and wants to bring their early AMG up to a newer spec ? yes

Do I have paddles on all of my daily drivers? Yes (well almost all, I don't have them on my 7.3L powerstroke F250 ... that WOULD be silly : )

I hope I answered your question.

Cheers,
Chris

SuperChargerE55 09-25-2015 05:11 AM

E 55 works like a charm

Originally Posted by latemodel21 (Post 6566518)
I'll presume your question is NOT rhetorical and you are actually curious. While those who view their Mercedes as a quarter-mile car may have little need for shifting gears manually (yes, the car will never shift "exactly" when you bump the touchshift or use a paddle) ... for every other form of spirited driving, shifting is more convenient with paddles ... For downshifting on corner entry and just keeping it in the right gear in the hills what other choice to you have (other than shifting?) I would think that if you used manual mode on your e55 you would get to like the paddles. ... and you would likely find that the car shifts (downshifts in particular) close enough to instantly after you push the paddle.

While it could be argued that adding paddles will not likely improve your ET .... It can never be said that (unlike some other mods) it will require you make any compromises to your Mercedes in terms of ride quality and comfort.

For myself, I started (7 years ago) with an AMG that had no paddle option (SLK32), and even if I had not come from a racing background (10 years racing in NASCAR and then other forms of racing as well), I'm sure I would have been dis-satisfied with just the touchshift. So I created a kit for the R170 and Chrysler crossfires to add a factory-like paddle implementation. Was it for everybody ? no ..... are a lot of people enjoying the kit ? (hell)yes.

Then 4 years ago, I created the paddle converter module to solve this issue of making paddles plug and play on early 2003 through 2004 e55s (and 2003-2006 SL, S, CLK, CL 55s) .... Is this upgrade for everybody? no ... Is it for anybody who likes to shift and wants to bring their early AMG up to a newer spec ? yes

Do I have paddles on all of my daily drivers? Yes (well almost all, I don't have them on my 7.3L powerstroke F250 ... that WOULD be silly : )

I hope I answered your question.

Cheers,
Chris

I got to answer on this one to being a E 55 AMG V8 Supercharged driver, im not sure if you have the 5G Gearbox but we have
3 modes, Cruise, Sport & Manual, and here this is where it comes in handy very very much indeed, as for ex going downhill I dont want burn my brakes flip the switch 1 gear lower and or engage cruise control is actually much better I have to admit, futhermore the buttons just sucks are small and hard to hit lol paddles diffently is better.

Now as my friend said :y

latemodel21 09-25-2015 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by CLK_350_Coupe (Post 6566629)
I got to answer on this one to being a E 55 AMG V8 Supercharged driver, im not sure if you have the 5G Gearbox but we have
3 modes, Cruise, Sport & Manual, and here this is where it comes in handy very very much indeed, as for ex going downhill I dont want burn my brakes flip the switch 1 gear lower and or engage cruise control is actually much better I have to admit, futhermore the buttons just sucks are small and hard to hit lol paddles diffently is better.

Now as my friend said :y

"im not sure if you have the 5G Gearbox but we have
3 modes, Cruise, Sport & Manual ... "

One of my daily drivers is a 2003 SL55; it has the same 3 modes. And, with an upgraded 2004 valvebody in the transmission and 2004 TCU it behaves very much like yours. One of my other DDs, the SLK32 has essentially the same transmission (only 2 modes however ... one being "manual" by virtue of a tuned TCU).

The Paddle Converter Module will make the AMG paddles plug and play in your 2004 E55. PM your email address to me if you would like me to send you some more information about it.

Cheers,
Chris

SilverStrk 09-25-2015 01:54 PM

Guys, he did my DCT wheel and it turned out Great. Very good work and it's night and day over the buttons.. :bow:

TheOtherDodge 09-25-2015 04:55 PM

latemodel: Be assured I was not being sarcastic or rude and sincerely apologize if I appeared that way. I really was wondering because I feel the shifting performance of these cars is horrible, either in a straight line, down windy roads in any mode.

latemodel21 09-25-2015 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by TheOtherDodge (Post 6567163)
latemodel: Be assured I was not being sarcastic or rude and sincerely apologize if I appeared that way. I really was wondering because I feel the shifting performance of these cars is horrible, either in a straight line, down windy roads in any mode.

not to worry. If anything, I sensed your disenchantment with the touchshift (more to the point, "amg speedshift" program). I think that most users equate the slow up-shift to the touchshift speed in general. Downshifts are quick enough (when you hit the paddles), but upshifts occur at a pace determined by the speedshift program (and a little faster in manual mode : )

Its all good bud :y

Cheers,
Chris

P.S. SilverStrk thanks for the kind words .... it was good working with you.

TheOtherDodge 09-25-2015 05:09 PM

Cheers! Yes, upshifts are horrible and I equate it to much like a clutch car (of the 70's). If there is a solution, please let me know. I got the Eurocharged TCM programming but didn't really see a difference.

55fanatic 09-30-2015 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Elhonaz (Post 6565893)

nothing yet, theyre going to be either entirely of carbon or a combination of Carbon/aluminum

SuperChargerE55 02-10-2016 10:39 PM

Ams 5 months later

Originally Posted by Elhonaz (Post 6565893)

And 5 months later still no Mercedes parts what so ever?

black06c230 02-10-2016 11:22 PM

I have a set of 63 paddles I never put on my 55 before being totaled. New in the box paid about $110 or so. Sell for $75 shipped.