MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W211 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg-81/)
-   -   IAT's (Shardul; Brooke) guys that run race gas (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/424082-iats-shardul-brooke-guys-run-race-gas.html)

chawkins2001 11-22-2011 11:17 AM

IAT's (Shardul; Brooke) guys that run race gas

On my runs this weekend, ambient was 70*and in stagging, I got to 93*, during my dragging it got to 140*

By the time I got to the hut for the slip, it was back down to 93* You think it could be due to the race gas, does that burn hotter than pump?

Also, another thing I added was water wetter, has anyone heard negative feedback on that stuff. It did not help, so i am thinking of draining it out and running 100% water.

320 dreamer 11-22-2011 11:19 AM

23* over ambient then 140 during the race sounds about normal craig

lowprofile 11-22-2011 11:20 AM

IAT will not be affected by choice of gas. Now AFRs, they can and will be affected.

shardul 11-22-2011 11:21 AM

what cooling setup are you running?

skratch77 11-22-2011 11:22 AM

Craig you have the fastest car in the forums to run 11.0 in 70 deg weather.You will destroy 10.7 in 40 deg weather.

I dont even think locos car hit over 100 deg iats on his record runs with his meth setup and cold drag day.

Dont worry about it and just wait for a cooler day to hit the track again

lowprofile 11-22-2011 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by skratch77 (Post 4928555)
Craig you have the fastest car in the forums to run 11.0 in 70 deg weather.You will destroy 10.7 in 40 deg weather.

I dont even think locos car hit over 100 deg iats on his record runs with his meth setup and cold drag day.

Dont worry about it and just wait for a cooler day to hit the track again

Can't help but think that might be directed at me. It was 62* when we made a 10.7 pass.
Craig's car will definitely be well into the 10's soon. But until then, if you don''t have the slip...would of, could of, should of...don't mean jack!

chawkins2001 11-22-2011 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by shardul (Post 4928554)
what cooling setup are you running?

5 gallon capacity (including tubing) tank>meziere pump in rear>tubing to front meziere pump>heat exchanger> blower/intercooler>back to rear trunk mount.

I also have an aftermakret intercooler with larger side fin cores and ports. I would hardly say that IAT's in the 140 range is good during runs. That pulls way to much timing. Two of my mustang bro's ran my car this weekend, and they said the car dropped off big time on the back end of the track. To us guys we would not think that since a 128mph trap seems to be stout, but the mustang boys are running 9 second street cars that look stock and are near full weight. Their sense of my car pulling timing was major, but honestly, I did not feel it at all. That platform is light years ahead of ours with larger more effecient blowers and intercoolers, so it really jumped out at them when they drove my car.

I am looking at tweaking my setup to getting the IAT's below 100* during WOT runs. That would make for a consistent happy beast, not waiting for the absolute perfect weather conditions:y A consistent car should be able to run quick times, whether it is 40* out, or 90* out in my book.

skratch77 11-22-2011 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by lowprofile (Post 4928567)
Can't help but think that might be directed at me. It was 62* when we made a 10.7 pass.
Craig's car will definitely be well into the 10's soon. But until then, if you don''t have the slip...would of, could of, should of...don't mean jack!

it wasnt :)

shardul 11-22-2011 11:46 AM

use the following flow pattern you want the ice cold water from the tank to go directly the the ic under the blower.

intank pump>front mezeire>blower>front h/e back to tank

chawkins2001 11-22-2011 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by shardul (Post 4928586)
use the following flow pattern you want the ice cold water from the tank to go directly the the ic under the blower.

My mistake, I am 99% sure that is my flow pattern but I will check on that.

lowprofile 11-22-2011 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by chawkins2001 (Post 4928576)
5 gallon capacity (including tubing) tank>meziere pump in rear>tubing to front meziere pump>heat exchanger> blower/intercooler>back to rear trunk mount.

I also have an aftermakret intercooler with larger side fin cores and ports. I would hardly say that IAT's in the 140 range is good during runs. That pulls way to much timing. Two of my mustang bro's ran my car this weekend, and they said the car dropped off big time on the back end of the track. To us guys we would not think that since a 128mph trap seems to be stout, but the mustang boys are running 9 second street cars that look stock and are near full weight. Their sense of my car pulling timing was major, but honestly, I did not feel it at all. That platform is light years ahead of ours with larger more effecient blowers and intercoolers, so it really jumped out at them when they drove my car.

I am looking at tweaking my setup to getting the IAT's below 100* during WOT runs. That would make for a consistent happy beast, not waiting for the absolute perfect weather conditions:y A consistent car should be able to run quick times, whether it is 40* out, or 90* out in my book.

I would shy away from cross comparing platforms. None of the Mustang crowd are running 2:65 gears to start with, as well there are other restrictions we have which they are not dealing with.
Your traps are very strong. Compared to the majority of 55K, you are definitely doing something right. What are using to log your data? Are you logging your AFRs? I ask about the AFRs because when she starts pulling timing she will also add more fuel which will cause your AFR to drop off.

adianaty 11-22-2011 12:43 PM

One thing to check on as well which I learned makes a BIG difference is getting as much flow through the intercooler as possible. Theoretically we need 10-12 GPM to handle the kind of power you are making. When I tested with a bosch pump, I got 3 GPM. The meziere setup should be better but there are alot of kinks in the system that can be smoothed out to get the water flowing.

I remember Brooke talking about this in one of his threads.

e55amgrocket 11-22-2011 12:50 PM

i just did a whole bunch of testing with my rear tank set up and found the best way to run it is from the ice box directly to the intercooler then heat exchanger and back to the tank. I had problems with my setup and bought a second pump looking for more flow but found the heat exchanger was clogged. After putting a new heat exchanger on and running 2 pumps the iat's would hit 130-160 on 1/4 mile run so i took the 2nd pump off and now they maxed out at 133 on a run from 0-130. My guess is possibly too much flow dosent allow proper cooling

e55amgrocket 11-22-2011 12:52 PM

the meziere pumps are rated at 20gpm

Jakpro1 11-22-2011 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by chawkins2001 (Post 4928547)
On my runs this weekend, ambient was 70*and in stagging, I got to 93*, during my dragging it got to 140*

By the time I got to the hut for the slip, it was back down to 93* You think it could be due to the race gas, does that burn hotter than pump?

Also, another thing I added was water wetter, has anyone heard negative feedback on that stuff. It did not help, so i am thinking of draining it out and running 100% water.

Nah Wat Wet is fine. I ran it all the time but we have COLD winters up here so I ended up stressing out as the freeze season set in (wondering when to drain the system and go all coolant). You start going out at all times to check on the water to make sure it is okay. Woke up in the AM one night and for some reason threw on a coat to check on it....it was beginning to freeze....all slushy. That was it. Running Benz coolant in the system ever since.

My biggest concern has always been OVERFLOW of these super pumps. My car seems to go volcanic before the 1/4 ends, then cools down quickly. Always wonder if my twin Johnson 90s are overflowing the system.

chawkins2001 11-22-2011 01:53 PM

There was lots of a/f logigng during tuning off course BK, but we did not log this past weekend.

Bramage 11-22-2011 02:09 PM

Typically, a race tune will give more timing, and the timing (i believe) can make the whole combustion process create more heat. Regardless, your IATs seem inline with what I have seen. With just an aftermarket HE and pump, I have seen AITs above 160. You are only seeing 130-140, so i would attribute that to dual pumps and trunk tank.

This is a WOT run from 60 to 130.. about 8 seconds, and as you can see, AIT's are in check. Ambient was 74 degrees.... 50/50 Meth (#10 nozzle)

I know there has been threads for and against, but I lose time with meth turn off. I go about .3 leaner.. but heat kills the run. I could tune out the .3, but I don't. Better safe that sorry.

https://mbworld.org/forums/members/b...23295-doit.jpg
https://mbworld.org/forums/[IMG]http...23295-doit.jpghttps://mbworld.org/forums/[IMG]http...23295-doit.jpg

Hammer Down 11-22-2011 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by shardul (Post 4928586)

this

Originally Posted by e55amgrocket (Post 4928687)
i just did a whole bunch of testing with my rear tank set up and found the best way to run it is from the ice box directly to the intercooler then heat exchanger and back to the tank.

& this FTW :bow:

Exotic-metal55 11-22-2011 03:50 PM

Race gas will alow more timing (if car is pulling it) and depending on type of race gas, the Stoich is lower and will run leaner. Leaner and more timing , can increasde heat.

Yes, MUST run cold line direct to Supercharger. 140 is hot for running ice at the track. Stay at 120 or under, is what I see. I would sell the rear Mez and put an intank rule 2000 pump in. The rear Mez is not effecient at pulling water from a tank but the Rule 2000 is very good at it. You need a rear pump that can push large volumes of water to the front Mez and then your flow will go up and IAT`s down!

chawkins2001 11-22-2011 03:56 PM

My rear tank will not allow for a bilge 2000 pump, dimensions are off and it is too small. I am going to talk to shardul about his tank dimensions. That is a good idea.

AgSilver 11-22-2011 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by chawkins2001 (Post 4928576)

Your HE is adding heat to the chilled water. Use the HE to pre-cool the water returning to the tank.

jcjmw 11-22-2011 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by e55amgrocket (Post 4928687)
so i took the 2nd pump off and now they maxed out at 133 on a run from 0-130. My guess is possibly too much flow dosent allow proper cooling

Now, that is interesting.... I might take out my front johnson and leave the bac k meizer pump and see if this is true.

Forrest Gump 9 11-22-2011 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by chawkins2001 (Post 4928547)

Are you telling me that you didn't use any ice in your reservoir? If so, you deserve to not have that 10's pass.

chawkins2001 11-23-2011 06:15 AM

Get your pantys out of a wad homey, ice was packed but sitting in the lanes for a solid 10-15 minutes killed any coolness and my temps jumped back up to 93*.

QUOTE=Forrest Gump 9;4929580]Are you telling me that you didn't use any ice in your reservoir? If so, you deserve to not have that 10's pass.[/QUOTE]

Forrest Gump 9 11-23-2011 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by chawkins2001 (Post 4929821)
Get your pantys out of a wad homey, ice was packed but sitting in the lanes for a solid 10-15 minutes killed any coolness and my temps jumped back up to 93*.

QUOTE=Forrest Gump 9;4929580]Are you telling me that you didn't use any ice in your reservoir? If so, you deserve to not have that 10's pass.

[/QUOTE]

How big is your tank?

And yeah, I've learned that too. I try to put the ice in as late as possible.