Sponsored by:

Upgrade guide / FAQ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Upgrade guide / FAQ?

Hello everyone, I'm new to MBworld but a long time performance nut. The E55 will be another car in a long line of cars I have modified. I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of a good performance upgrade guide or FAQ.

I see the DIY thread up top and that is great but im looking for a good guide. I have my own source for ECU tuning so im really looking for a good place for hard parts and the order in which they should be done. Ie pulley (size options) heat exchanger, maybe one of these upgraded pumps I have been reading about etc etc.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

THANKS!

Eric
Old 02-20-2012, 05:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a Rivera...via a Custom 24, Strat and Les Paul
Originally Posted by FI Fan
Hello everyone, I'm new to MBworld but a long time performance nut. The E55 will be another car in a long line of cars I have modified. I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of a good performance upgrade guide or FAQ.

I see the DIY thread up top and that is great but im looking for a good guide. I have my own source for ECU tuning so im really looking for a good place for hard parts and the order in which they should be done. Ie pulley (size options) heat exchanger, maybe one of these upgraded pumps I have been reading about etc etc.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

THANKS!

Eric
Like the intro: here's my own personal opinion: 1) headers, tune and pump first (opens up the top end - when I threw them on - didn't realize how much of a brick wall I was hitting with the stockers) 2) pulley (if it's going to be a daily or see primarily street duty - no need go above 168) 3) cooling mods (Heat exchanger) - these will get you in the 500whp range and low 11's on DR's in the right conditions and track.

After that

Fueling (throttle body, rail, injectors - etc)
Additional cooling
Cams
Heads etc.

Disclaimer - if you plan to redline in fourth at around 130-140 on the street - NUMBER ONE MOD IS FUEL RAIL AND UPGRADED INJECTORS (search and the threads will come up)

Good luck!!!!!!
Old 02-20-2012, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
GLE 63S
What he said^^^^^

And if you can get your car to looks as good as BT's you've arrived!
Old 02-20-2012, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Also - if you happen to be in the Houston area - hook up with that crew, actually, even if you aren't in that area, get in good with them!!!!!!!
Old 02-20-2012, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

And of course - H town already in the house (was literally typing that Houston reply as you posted
Old 02-20-2012, 05:19 PM

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by motorkas
Like the intro: here's my own personal opinion: 1) headers, tune and pump first (opens up the top end - when I threw them on - didn't realize how much of a brick wall I was hitting with the stockers) 2) pulley (if it's going to be a daily or see primarily street duty - no need go above 168) 3) cooling mods (Heat exchanger) - these will get you in the 500whp range and low 11's on DR's in the right conditions and track.

After that

Fueling (throttle body, rail, injectors - etc)
Additional cooling
Cams
Heads etc.

Disclaimer - if you plan to redline in fourth at around 130-140 on the street - NUMBER ONE MOD IS FUEL RAIL AND UPGRADED INJECTORS (search and the threads will come up)

Good luck!!!!!!
excellent, thank you!

Do you have a preference on brands for the above. Im not looking to break the bank but I also am not afraid to pay for a part so long as it is worth it.

400whp is my goal right now (dynojet) but I would like to see 500 in the very near future.

Eric
Old 02-20-2012, 05:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
If you want the best deals wait for holidays ESP thanksgiving or Xmas. Time to time there will be specials thru group buys
Old 02-20-2012, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

excellent, thank you!

Do you have a preference on brands for the above. Im not looking to break the bank but I also am not afraid to pay for a part so long as it is worth it.

400whp is my goal right now (dynojet) but I would like to see 500 in the very near future.

Eric
Depending on the car - you'll get 380-400whp stock - over 400 easy with a tune ; headers - 30-50 depending on brand; pulley another 50-70.

I'm partial to Kleemann for small pulleys -

Headers - can't go wrong with any of the players here (Kleemann, MBH (which is having a crazy sale right now) - Eurocharged also has a nice set up and there are some enterprising members that can also point you in the right direction as well).

Keep in mind - if you're paying someone to install headers for you - easily a 500-800 install depending on who you know and where you live. . .

HE - Eurocharged (but then again I got my pricing when Jerry was drinking and in a compromised position

You may also have a tuner connection but if hey don't have experience with MB's tread VERY CAREFULLY. . .Eurocharged and OE tuning are the main players and both have very good results. . .
Old 02-20-2012, 05:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E55
excellent, thank you!

Eric
...then I suggest you dyno car asap, kick back, crack a beer, and enjoy your first accomplishment. Your goal has been surpassed already! If not, you have some issues which need addressing before any mods are added.

Congrats on your purchase, any pics?
Old 02-20-2012, 05:34 PM

2004 E55 AMG
Thank you! I actually work for a performance shop (sponsors on here) for a living so install is not a problem. This is just a personal toy for me that I want to make quick. I Have seen dyno charts all over the place hence my target WHP numbers. Our tuner is really good with the MB line so im not worried about that.

You guys have been great! Keep it coming if you have any more feedback. You are saving me hours and hours on here searching. Forums can be the biggest source of misinformation so I appreciate the vets on here putting in their .02.

Eric
Old 02-20-2012, 05:36 PM

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by lowprofile
...then I suggest you dyno car asap, kick back, crack a beer, and enjoy your first accomplishment. Your goal has been surpassed already! If not, you have some issues which need addressing before any mods are added.

Congrats on your purchase, any pics?
hahaha I pick it up shortly. I have seen a handful of dyno's in the 360's so that is where I was pulling that WHP Number from.

Eric
Old 02-20-2012, 06:49 PM

CTS-V 2013 Wagon
Welcome and congrats on the new ride. What a great first post and introduction other than the lack of pictures. Lol
Tell us what you got.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:10 PM

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Hotrod-Realtor
Welcome and congrats on the new ride. What a great first post and introduction other than the lack of pictures. Lol
Tell us what you got.
Thanks! I'm picking up a silver (sorry not up to date on actual color codes) high mileage 04 e55 tomorrow pending I get time to get over there after work.

It's actually sonewhat of an impulse buy as dumping my 380whp 05 cts-v for it. It might be a year older and more miles but I see it as a step up :-)

I'll toss up some pics here when I get it.

What's the best place to pick up a pulley kit?

Thanks again guys
Old 02-20-2012, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
Thank you! I actually work for a performance shop (sponsors on here) for a living so install is not a problem. This is just a personal toy for me that I want to make quick. I Have seen dyno charts all over the place hence my target WHP numbers. Our tuner is really good with the MB line so im not worried about that.

You guys have been great! Keep it coming if you have any more feedback. You are saving me hours and hours on here searching. Forums can be the biggest source of misinformation so I appreciate the vets on here putting in their .02.

Eric
Thanks! I'm picking up a silver (sorry not up to date on actual color codes) high mileage 04 e55 tomorrow pending I get time to get over there after work.

It's actually sonewhat of an impulse buy as dumping my 380whp 05 cts-v for it. It might be a year older and more miles but I see it as a step up :-)

I'll toss up some pics here when I get it.

What's the best place to pick up a pulley kit?

Thanks again guys

You work for a performance shop on this board and you ask these questions and you were also unaware these cars dyno stock over 400? Hmmmmmmmm.

Last edited by emoving; 02-20-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:27 PM

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by emoving
You work for a performance shop on this board and you ask these questions and you were also unaware these cars dyno stock at almost 400? Hmmmmmmmm.
Sorry I'm just not familiar with the e55 yet. Again this is just for my own sake. Like I said I've seen dynos all over the place so it's hard to know what to believe.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:35 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Welcome!! What are your power goals first and how fast to do you want to add them? I been through it all, so if you want to cut to the chase and save money, ask away. First question that should be asked, "what are your power goals"? Street, records, 1/4 mile, one mile or just fun daily power?

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 02-20-2012, 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sorry I'm just not familiar with the e55 yet. Again this is just for my own sake. Like I said I've seen dynos all over the place so it's hard to know what to believe.
My car dynoed 430 bone stock before my mods. The graph is somewhere around here.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:47 PM

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55
Welcome!! What are your power goals first and how fast to do you want to add them? I been through it all, so if you want to cut to the chase and save money, ask away. First question that should be asked, "what are your power goals"? Street, records, 1/4 mile, one mile or just fun daily power?
Thanks, well I guess I underestimated what these cars Put down stock so I'll shoot for the 450whp mark right now and a tick over 500 down the road. I'll hit the strip a couple times a year but mainly I'm looking for personal gratification on the street.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:48 PM

2004 E55 AMG
My car dynoed 430 bone stock before my mods. The graph is somewhere around here.
That's strong! I hope I'm as fortunate. What kind of dyno?
Old 02-20-2012, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That's strong! I hope I'm as fortunate. What kind of dyno?
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...-thoughts.html
Old 02-20-2012, 07:54 PM

2004 E55 AMG
Well hell I guess I should just say screw it and shoot for 500 off the bat now lol
Old 02-20-2012, 07:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well hell I guess I should just say screw it and shoot for 500 off the bat now lol

I spent about $5000 total on a Kleemann stage three and here is the post dyno.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
GLE 63S
DING DING DING we have a winner!
Old 02-20-2012, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts
2012 C63 BS & 2014 E63 Estate & 2008 CLK63 BS
I spent about $5000 total on a Kleemann stage three and here is the post dyno.
Kleemann is a great route, but can be a bit expensive (minus their headers).. Look into Eurocharged for parts or check out the classifieds.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AKnight55
Kleemann is a great route, but can be a bit expensive (minus their headers).. Look into Eurocharged for parts or check out the classifieds.
This^^^^^^^^ EC is in your backyard and you could get more power then I did for probally 2gs cheaper.