MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W211 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg-81/)
-   -   W211 E63 Airmatic to KW coilovers converson review (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/456244-w211-e63-airmatic-kw-coilovers-converson-review.html)

Peter_02AMG 07-17-2012 01:42 PM

W211 E63 Airmatic to KW coilovers converson review

Pros: Handle like a sport cars, adjustability of height, rebound, harshness or softness, no more worry about airmatic failure, money saved on future parts and labor for failed airmatic components and Lifetime warranty on parts.

Cons: Do you really need 18 setting? Rear shocks adjustment access is a PIA, still too stiff at the lowest setting.

It’s been a month and 700 miles since I got the coilovers installed. IMO, Coilovers suspension should be for peoples who take their car to the track maybe once a month. For daily driver like me it will have somewhat hard ride due to a stiff suspension even at the lowest setting. Also, my car is lowered but not slammed and I’m having trouble going over large speed bumps and steep driveway without bottoming out and scraping the front lip. If you going to lower your car more than 2” than avoid steep drive way or speed bumps. Also, you going to have rubbing issue with aftermarket wheel if you have 3-4 adults passenger in car now that you no longer have the airmatic to raise your car to it proper height. Honestly I missed the abilities to put my car in “4x4 mode” with a push of a button and the smooth ride.

In a conclusion, for those who use their car for daily usage like me going to work, grocery getter or taking your family out to dinner or taken a short trip than it not worth the conversion. Since Arnott’s industries are selling the rebuilt struts for reasonable price with a life time warranty you can replace one or two strut before it time to sell your car. Honesty how often does these airmatic strut goes out under normal usuage? My airmatic have 48K miles and still working good. I don’t plan to keep my car after it hit 85K miles. Anyway, If I could go back I would have not done the conversion. Maybe with more time I might change my mind.

Total cost $2850
KW V2 $1750
Parts and labor $1600
Sold airmatic components on Ebay $500

Total weight saved: 33 lb
Total airmatic weight: 81 lb
KW coilovers: 48 lb

Compressor pump: 9.2 lb
Front airmatic struts: 39.2 lb
Rear airbags: 15.6 lb
Rear shock absorbers: 17 lb

mchapparone 07-17-2012 01:45 PM

Thank you very much for the review!!! Honestly very helpful for those of us that are/were considering the conversion.

tbone 07-17-2012 02:05 PM

I agree with you. My car is at 139K, still on original airmatic components and considered a switch to coilovers when mine fails, but the fact that the car is a daily driver, the comfort of air ride, and the ability to raise the car for driveways/car full of people/hauling stuff in the car has led me to just replace airmatic components when the time comes.

DVC 07-17-2012 03:07 PM

An additional point to consider is KW's customer support. I ran into several issues with the KW V3s on my Porsche, and the CS was extremely frustrating.

You had to ship the failed product back through the dealer to Germany, where they decided whether to cover you or not.

e500slr 07-18-2012 05:19 AM

Are you sure about the weight? GrantwoodTx said it was 22 pounds saved not 33 lbs. Maybe he weighed it wrong. The more weight savings the better.

Peter_02AMG 07-18-2012 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by mchapparone (Post 5285374)
Thank you very much for the review!!! Honestly very helpful for those of us that are/were considering the conversion.

If you use your car as a daily commuter or family car than you will be giving up alot.

Originally Posted by tbone (Post 5285396)
I agree with you. My car is at 139K, still on original airmatic components and considered a switch to coilovers when mine fails, but the fact that the car is a daily driver, the comfort of air ride, and the ability to raise the car for driveways/car full of people/hauling stuff in the car has led me to just replace airmatic components when the time comes.

If comfort and convenience are important than how your car handle than I wouldn't do it. I like my car lowered but now I worry about clearance.

Originally Posted by DVC (Post 5285488)
An additional point to consider is KW's customer support. I ran into several issues with the KW V3s on my Porsche, and the CS was extremely frustrating.

You had to ship the failed product back through the dealer to Germany, where they decided whether to cover you or not.

That suck! your car will be out of commission until the part come back, if it ever come back.:crazy:

Originally Posted by e500slr (Post 5286546)
Are you sure about the weight? GrantwoodTx said it was 22 pounds saved not 33 lbs. Maybe he weighed it wrong. The more weight savings the better.

I weighed each airmatic components removed. I might have missed a few items that go back on the car like spring retainers and seats. The rear lower control arms weight about the same. You can save a few more pound if you remove the rear air tanks for the airbags but those are still in the car.

infantry 07-18-2012 09:09 AM

What kind of rims and what size tires too?

I have an 07 E63, and my airmatic is bugging the crap out of me. I don't want to deal with it anymore. I don't want to go too low, what's the highest you can set it at?

cij911 07-18-2012 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by infantry (Post 5286657)

I have an 07 E63, and my airmatic is bugging the crap out of me. I don't want to deal with it anymore. I don't want to go too low, what's the highest you can set it at?

Why is the airmatic bugging you ???? I agree with the OP, if you daily drive your car, why would you want to give up all the nice features of the air suspension. As for improved handling, I doubt that most would be able to see any difference on the street.

chawkins2001 07-18-2012 09:32 AM

I am thinking that going to coilovers from airmatic would also negatively effect the drag racers on this platform too. The soft cushy suspension really helps in weight transfer, and it would probably be very hard to hookup with the stiff coilovers, so that is another negative right there.

NCE500 07-18-2012 09:52 AM

Coilover Conversion

I had a front airmatic strut die last month, fortunately replaced under warranty, but will leave well enough alone based on your review.

Thanks for the excellent write up.

FT-Performance 07-18-2012 10:05 AM

Very nice Review. Thanks for sharing!

Peter_02AMG 07-18-2012 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by infantry (Post 5286657)

I'm riding on my stock wheel right now and it still very stiff and bouncy. Bugging you how? You can keep the stock height with coilovers if you want.

infantry 07-18-2012 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Peter_02AMG (Post 5286743)
I'm riding on my stock wheel right now and it still very stiff and bouncy. Bugging you how? You can keep the stock height with coilovers if you want.

The damn thing is slammed on the ground in my garage, all 4 sides evenly. After my ELM V2 un install. I don't know what happened. I want to rip out the whole system!

CharlyE500 07-18-2012 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by FT-Performance (Post 5286721)
Very nice Review. Thanks for sharing!

+1 at one point i was considering doing it. Got a quote for $3300 part and labor. I don't plan to keep my car in 3 years from now. Saving $$ for 63TT :naughty:

Max.H 07-18-2012 03:20 PM

Taking out 4 pillows of air cushion with 3 dampening settings to replace with some stiff riding coilovers? :crazy: You gotta be kidding me... My back still hurts from driving around in a harsh riding M3 for 3+ years.

Never the less. Still a great review peter 02amg!

Jon2007E63P30 07-18-2012 07:50 PM

Would be very interesting to compare to a E63 W211 P30. It is quite a bit stiffer than the normal suspension.

mister63amg 08-20-2018 01:40 PM

Great bit of info here gents! One question after doing some additional research. Does the Coilover Installation Kit make a big difference in the install effort? https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...2113501806kt1/