W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Redline SI-1 Fuel System Cleaner anyone?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Lightbulb Redline SI-1 Fuel System Cleaner anyone?

anyone use RedLine SI-1 - I hear it causes deposits to 'calcify' and flake out into the exhaust better than a lot of other cleaners and induces less harm to plugs...

anyone try it?

Old 10-10-2012, 10:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 110 Likes on 72 Posts
2016 Cls63s AMG
Toddd just use lucas ok
Old 10-11-2012, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by berti_00
Toddd just use lucas ok
some meager research

SUMMARY

Symptoms: Gradually increasing car hesitation, power loss, sluggish acceleration, lowered fuel economy.

Cause (probable): Dirty fuel injectors, dirty engine valves, and combustion chamber deposits

Fix: Chevron Techron Concentrate Plus (or similar known PEA-containing (polyether amine) fuel system cleaner products like Gumout Regane, Redline SI-1, Amsoil Performance Improver, and BG Products 44K)

BACKGROUND

SUMMARIZED RESEARCH

Anytime you have gas burned in your engine chambers, not all of it burns up and you’ll eventually get deposits forming on the valves, combustion chamber, and fuel injectors. Gasoline is supposed to have detergents in them to keep your engine parts clean (some top-tier gas have more detergents than the government specified amounts), but driving short distances without having your car fully warmed up can lead to faster accumulating deposits.

Although I’ve read other numerous posts, I’ve summarized a poster’s notes from PriusChat.com in what can lead to engine power loss and hesitation:

When fuel injectors get clogged, the fuel spray pattern is affected (fuel normally is “atomized” but if an injector is clogged, it can form large droplets that don’t vaporize easily), and the fuel may not completely burn once the spark plug fires or it may burn long after the optimal burn cycle has been initiated, causing an apparent loss of power. Next, the intake valves can become coated with deposits which can soak up injected gas and affect the burn cycle, and can block the flow of heat from the cylinder, again affecting the burn cycle, thereby decreasing the engine’s power and economy. As the combustion chamber accumulates sharp-edged deposits, these sites can act as nucleation sites for pre-ignition (aka “engine knock,” throwing off the car’s timing (and again, loss of power)—this can be evident in older cars that seemingly “need” premium fuel to reduce pinging.

THE APPARENT SOLUTION

A fuel system cleaner that contains PEA (polyether amine). Alternatively, you can pay your dealer for a fuel injection cleaning service (around $250). Nonetheless, I’m always the one to try a cheaper alternative before I buck up.

Chevron Techron Concentrate (32% PEA, based on an older published MSDS spec sheet--may be different now; $8 for 12oz. bottle) has been the leading fuel system cleaner since its development sometime in the 1970’s (it's also a touted leading detergent in gas, albeit in MUCH lower concentrations than the stand-alone concentrate formulation). The main active cleaning ingredient is PEA. Other known fuel system products containing PEA include the following:

* Gumout Regane (30-40% PEA content based on published MSDS data; about $5 for 12oz. bottle)
* Redline SI-1 (30-50% PEA based on MSDS data; about $9 for 15oz. bottle)
* Amsoil Performance Improver (28-37% PEA based on MSDS data; $10 for 12oz. bottle)
* BG Products 44K (unknown PEA content since they reformulated—does anyone have this data?).

Other than the active-cleaning PEA, each product has variable fillers/detergents (i.e. Gumout has kerosene, Redline seems to have an octane booster, Chevron and Amsoil have naptha among other ingredients). I’m sure that there are other PEA-containing fuel system cleaners, but the previously listed products (with the possible exception of BG 44K) are known, sure-fire products (so I can not recommend any other products). Also, as an FYI, the cheaper Chevron Fuel Injector cleaner is NOT the same as Chevron Techron Concentrate—it’s just a watered down version of it from what I’ve read.

The use of the PEA fuel system cleaners is listed as every 3,000 miles. Personally, from what I’ve read, I would use the cleaner about 2 weeks before I got an oil change, as the cleaned up deposits will wash into your oil—not necessarily a bad thing as the oil can probably absorb and neutralize the deposits, but there will be peace of mind from having clean oil in the engine. Also, I’d use the cleaner ideally when you can make longer drives in your car to allow the cleaner to do it’s job at full operating temperature.

To use the PEA fuel system cleaners, get your gas down to about ¼ tank. Put the whole bottle of PEA-containing fuel system cleaner in your tank, then fuel up to get it properly mixed. FYI, Chevron Techron Concentrate (12 oz treats up to 12 gallons), so I used two 12-oz. bottles as the GS400 has a 20 gallon tank. Follow the manufacturer instructions for the other products.

MY SUBJECTIVE EXPERIENCE

After putting in my PEA-containing fuel system cleaner, I drove the mile home uneventfully. The next morning, my car seemed to drive with a little more authority on the commute. Nonetheless, after driving around town later that day doing some extended errands (including some freeway jaunts), my car seemed to regain more power and I found that I didn’t have to modulate my accelerator pedal as much to go a constant speed. After a week of more driving, these subjective findings were noted: the car did not hesitate as much, the sluggish acceleration significantly improved, and the power was more apparent. The car seemed to be a different beast and idles smoother and quieter than before.

The MAF and throttle cleaning helped somewhat, but I truly feel that the PEA-containing fuel system cleaner is the fix I've been looking for (cause: dirty injectors and valves). The PEA-containing fuel system cleaners saved me a few bucks (as the next potential step was to take it to the dealer for a diagnostic workup and/or fuel injector cleaning) and lets me enjoy the car’s power again. I’ll report back if I something else develops.

Summarily, if your car has similar symptoms (hesitation, sluggish acceleration, rough idle, and power loss) as I’ve reported above, it’s worth a shot trying the PEA-containing fuel system cleaners ($16 for 2 bottles of 12 oz. Chevron Techron Concentrate in my case) before moving to more expensive diagnostic options.

Some links that may be of interest:

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/api.aspx
http://www.chevron.com/products/ourf...tives/tcp.aspx
http://www.redlineoil.com/whitePaper/15.pdf
http://www.redlineoil.com/products_fueladditives.asp

I do have the published MSDS for each product (listed in the following posts)--the data may be outdated but the PEA concentrations are all pretty similar. Newer MSDS sheets are a bit more "cryptic" to read for each product.
For source click here.
The following 2 users liked this post by Toadster:
Paul Shalom (09-10-2020), StradaRedlands (10-19-2016)
Old 10-11-2012, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
E55 w/ goods, Z32 Project underway
Chevron Techron works great, why test something else? 6 bottles $18 at Costco. Have seen myself the dramatic improvements with flexible scopes. Could there be something 'better', I'm sure there is always something better in life on everything, how much is it worth the effort vs. moving on to another part of the project.

Last edited by pearlpower; 10-11-2012 at 01:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Paul Shalom (09-10-2020)
Old 10-11-2012, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 Cls63s AMG
what have you been using tod?? chevron techron??
Old 10-11-2012, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Dirt Scooters
BG 44K. Best stuff i've ever used and i've seen the BG guys show actual results many times.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
what have you been using tod?? chevron techron??
i pretty much use Chevron 91 all the time, and add Techron ever 5k - time for another dose, but wanted to poke around at different additives
Old 10-11-2012, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
E55 w/ goods, Z32 Project underway
Originally Posted by Toadster
i pretty much use Chevron 91 all the time, and add Techron ever 5k - time for another dose, but wanted to poke around at different additives
Well, at least our 'environmental gas' won't get worse for the winter. $^$$! Kalifornia.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 E55, 07 ML500
All hail to the Peoples Republic of Kaliifornia....
Old 10-11-2012, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
Whatever is a good deal I buy between bg44k or techron
Old 10-11-2012, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
Toadster
Every fill up of Chevron already has the Techron additive in it. Same as Texaco which also has techron. These additives are added in the refinery process at the port. What your really doing Toadster is doubling up on the cool aid.

Ive made this argument before and will say it again... Gas is gas man. Dont waster your money.

Every tank in my E55 is done at Racetrac.............GASP!
Old 10-11-2012, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 SL 55 Black/Black w/mods from Eurocharged/Kleemann/BuckheadImports
lubro moly

ive been using lubro moly products.....ive heard they make excellent products...and its made in Germany too....
Old 10-11-2012, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by moosejaw
Toadster
Every fill up of Chevron already has the Techron additive in it. Same as Texaco which also has techron. These additives are added in the refinery process at the port. What your really doing Toadster is doubling up on the cool aid.

Ive made this argument before and will say it again... Gas is gas man. Dont waster your money.

Every tank in my E55 is done at Racetrac.............GASP!
well octane is octane - right? so why add more?
Old 10-12-2012, 03:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e55
well octane is octane - right? so why add more?
that was srsly retarded. Octane != EPA.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 e55,81SC Targa,08 CLK63 BLK,91 E34 M5
I use shell 93 all the time so do I really need to add
Old 10-12-2012, 09:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 Cls63s AMG
Originally Posted by Manuyc
have you ever tired redline before dead lifting?? hahah its actually a preworkout drink (not a fuel injector cleaner lmao)
Old 10-12-2012, 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 e55,81SC Targa,08 CLK63 BLK,91 E34 M5
going to get some later today
too funny
Old 10-12-2012, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
one car at a time
Techron and BG44K are great....I generally use Techron with our German cars as it is recommended by Porsche. I usually add a can of Techron once / year and have never had a problem with injectors and when I have removed the injectors and tested they have always been fine.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
No
Shel's additive is called V Power. Its offers the same advantage as Chevron's Techron which is also retailed at Texaco.

The off the shelf blue bottle of Techron that you buy in the store is also mixed in before the tanker heads off to the retailer. So if you use Chevron (even once in a while) you do not need to buy the Techron in the store.

Out of 5-6 trips to the gas station, only one needs to be a premium tier brand such as Chevron or Shell.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by ghettoroadster
that was srsly retarded. Octane != EPA.
or even PEA

but seriously - you guys don't think that % of PEA means anything?
Old 10-12-2012, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
it depends, octane doesn't equate to clean gas or that you won't have unburnt fuel deposits
Old 10-12-2012, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
it depends, octane doesn't equate to clean gas or that you won't have unburnt fuel deposits
Again not true....
Shell V Power is Octane 93
Old 10-12-2012, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
E55 amg
have you ever tired redline before dead lifting?? hahah its actually a preworkout drink (not a fuel injector cleaner lmao)
someone mention dead lifting !!! my favorite compound exercise
Redline SI-1 Fuel System Cleaner anyone?-photo-25.jpg 2 dollars off at wally world
Old 10-12-2012, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by moosejaw
Again not true....
Shell V Power is Octane 93
LOL - what? Gas in general >< clean burn

sure Shell 93 is great, but what if they have rusty tanks in the ground at the station?

Last edited by Toadster; 10-12-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2004 E55,1969 300SEL6.3,2011 ML350 BlueTec Diesel,2005 ML400 CDI
Originally Posted by pearlpower
Chevron Techron works great, why test something else? 6 bottles $18 at Costco. Have seen myself the dramatic improvements with flexible scopes. Could there be something 'better', I'm sure there is always something better in life on everything, how much is it worth the effort vs. moving on to another part of the project.
Good stuff and the concentrate is better.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Redline SI-1 Fuel System Cleaner anyone?