MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W211 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg-81/)
-   -   Stretched tires / 'hella flush' look can get you killed!! PLEASE READ!! (Pics inside) (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/487532-stretched-tires-hella-flush-look-can-get-you-killed-please-read-pics-inside.html)

Meeyatch1 02-06-2013 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Lelix (Post 5534027)
It's a defect in the tire, I have seen many properly sized OEM tires split like that.
I've ran many variations of stretched tires in the past and it's never given me ANY problems despite potholes and aggressive driving. Mind you that was in my VW/Audi days and although I can appreciate a nicely executed poke/stretch, it is not the look I would go for on an AMG, especially given the traction issues we have to deal with on properly sized tires.

I considered defect, but the odds of ALL FOUR tires having multiple defects is pretty remote. Either way, I am just glad they are not on my car anymore.

Meeyatch1 02-06-2013 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by PepperE500 (Post 5534409)
...OP, glad to see that you didn't encounter any issues with the ***** tires that were sold to you! Should be a reminder to everyone that whenever you're buying wheels that have tires mounted to check the INSIDE & outside of the tires to check their condition.

In the defense of the gentlemen that sold me the wheels and tires, the cracks were all but hidden because the stretching of the tires compressed the cracks to where they were almost invisible, which is even more scary. I picked them up in person, and we both looked at them and neither one of us noticed. My tire guy had better eyes than me and saw some cracking which he alerted me to before the removal of the tires from the wheels, and when the tires were removed and 'relaxed', that is when the cracks all showed and were blatantly obvious.

BBBSS 02-07-2013 03:25 AM

I had a bridgestone blow out out of nowhere and the inner sidewall/tread area was where it failed. Couple weeks later I found another splitting like in these pictures as well. I was done at that point and moved to the Michelin PSS's. Hankook and Bridgestone are on my never buy again list.

The Law 02-07-2013 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by BBBSS (Post 5535686)
I had a bridgestone blow out out of nowhere and the inner sidewall/tread area was where it failed. Couple weeks later I found another splitting like in these pictures as well. I was done at that point and moved to the Michelin PSS's. Hankook and Bridgestone are on my never buy again list.

Couldn't agree more with this post. I dumped the Hankook Ventus V12s because it felt like I was driving on ice. So I stepped into the Bridgestone Potenzas only to have the right rear tire rip apart on me while driving on the 91 at about 70mph. The tire had less than 5,000 miles on it. The tear was along on the inside of the tire all the way around. Not only that but the Bridgestones are LOUD. I will never buy again.

Lelix 02-07-2013 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by BBBSS (Post 5535686)

Interesting, I too had serious issues with Potenzas. I took off my wheels to sell them after a season and as it turns out one of my rear tires had a HUGE 10" bulge on the inside sidewall. I did not hit any potholes and it had absolutely no telltale signs it was there, had I started another season with them I would've definetely lost the tire within a week.:smash:

that1carguy 04-06-2014 01:52 PM

Depending on the intensity of the stretch, it can also improve on handling. When a car takes a hard fast turn the tire can actually roll, this can either cause lots of sidewall damage, or even pop the bead. With stretched tires the sidewall is tight enough to prevent roll thus keeping more tire on the road. Yes the camber and the stress over time will eventually kill the tire, but even with normal wear the tire will go eventually anyways.

HeissRod 04-06-2014 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by that1carguy (Post 5998935)
Depending on the intensity of the stretch, it can also improve on handling. When a car takes a hard fast turn the tire can actually roll, this can either cause lots of sidewall damage, or even pop the bead. With stretched tires the sidewall is tight enough to prevent roll thus keeping more tire on the road. Yes the camber and the stress over time will eventually kill the tire, but even with normal wear the tire will go eventually anyways.

Thanks for bumping a thread over a year old. You were very helpful!

SheriffDep 04-06-2014 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by HeissRod (Post 5999114)
Thanks for bumping a thread over a year old. You were very helpful!

https://mbworld.org/forums/images/smilies/popc1.gif

Sir-Boost-a-Lot 04-06-2014 06:46 PM

Did stretching the tires on the short bus you rode make it handle as good as your 02 Civic?

Originally Posted by that1carguy (Post 5998935)

E55Greasemonkey 04-06-2014 06:54 PM

Hella Flush looks, and is, Hella Stupid.

SheriffDep 04-06-2014 06:59 PM

Take the context of brain power of the individuals who do this. Not much functionality there I think....

Can't say I have even known anyone who has ever done this type. We are dealing with low brain power and honestly something that really doesn't or shouldn't apply to anyone with a MB, especially a AMG version. I think the intent of the op "1 YEAR AGO" is notable, but who does this. I think the issue of tires splitting vertically is a good subject to discuss, because it does happen for various reasons, but please different thread please........

kamilclk430 04-06-2014 09:34 PM

I agree with you some cars are over doing the stretch look and it plays a huge hazard. There is a correct way to do this however and its been proven for years to last, some guys dont take into consideration that when you do run stretch tires you need to chexk your tires very often ( at least once a day) you also have to take weight of the car into consideration and make sure there is enough sidewall and thickness to support this.

BimmerDawg 04-06-2014 10:06 PM

So much misinformation in this thread it makes my head spin.

People, don't believe everything you read on the internet.

E55Greasemonkey 04-06-2014 11:23 PM

Hella Flush it down the toilet.

Sovietaced 08-28-2014 08:05 PM

Pretty incredible how misinformed MB owners are about stretching tires.

HeissRod 08-28-2014 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Sovietaced (Post 6151139)
Pretty incredible how misinformed MB owners are about stretching tires.

You bumped a 5 month old thread to tell us that? :confused:

Enigma94 08-28-2014 09:46 PM

The amount of necro bumps on this forum are astonishing....

MindBend 08-31-2014 09:18 AM

Let us not forget how much negative camber "helps us turn-in" also. :crazy:

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...a4273cf5ee.jpg

Denroll 08-31-2014 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by HeissRod (Post 6151196)
You bumped a 5 month old thread to tell us that? :confused:

Fitting that it was a VW driver, too.

K_Kloc 06-04-2015 11:58 PM

What do you guys think? 20 inch Rohanas

3 Attachment(s)
235/30/20 & 255/30/20... what psi should i have. running 39 psi all around right now

HeissRod 06-05-2015 12:24 AM

Wheels are decent, but the tires need to be wider. Also, why are you posing with shoes?

P.S. You're in the wrong forum.

K_Kloc 06-05-2015 01:06 AM

right

just a random picture before my soccer game..

K_Kloc 06-05-2015 01:08 AM

as for tires..

if i go wider, im worried i will rub.. what tire size should i consider if im running 235/30/20 and 255/30/20 right now? to go wider.. by just a bit?

E55Freak 06-05-2015 11:43 PM

Am I in the deep part of this forum? Crazy shoes..hella flush rims, what next am I going to hear about...

HeissRod 06-06-2015 12:24 AM

lol