W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Breather covers on valve cover...removal?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Question Breather covers on valve cover...removal?

Hey All,

I've read a couple of the threads out there about changing out the valve cover gaskets, which I've done twice. Suffice it to say, you shouldn't use liberal amounts of gasket sealant. Anyway, I figured I'd put go ahead and do the passenger side breather cover on the valve cover as it looks like it could also be a source of a leak. However, many of the posts suggest simply prying the breather cover off.

How exactly are y'all prying the cover off? I can't get leverage anywhere on this $%#^&@!! thing! Thanks!
Old 02-18-2013, 03:56 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Yes, the covers leak often and they are siliconed on. You have to run a small screwdriver around the edge and work them off slowly. These covers are cast magnesium, I think and are brittle. Dont ask me how I know they are brittle

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 02-18-2013, 09:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55
Yes, the covers leak often and they are siliconed on. You have to run a small screwdriver around the edge and work them off slowly. These covers are cast magnesium, I think and are brittle. Dont ask me how I know they are brittle
Thanks Exotic. Yes, I found out, actually. I went ahead and got a small screwdriver and got it between the breather cover and valve cover. I did punch out a very small piece of the lower valve cover, so I made sure to put plenty of gasket there and I hope that is enough. It will have about 14 hours to sit before I drive it tomorrow...