W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PAS6201 E55 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 73 Posts
2016 Cls63s AMG
Thank you very much for all that explanation bro, keep up the great work... I cant wait to see more
Old 05-29-2013, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
1000Hp Diesel Trucks, 2019 E63s
Originally Posted by pas6201
Thanks Berti!

Technically a twin charged set up could be possible. I don't think it would be very productive for our cars. Some of the Terminator Cobras do this set up and it works great. Here are the 2 reasons I don't think it is the best idea for our cars (remember just my .02):

1) We have a hard time keeping IAT's down with just slight modding. With the added turbo pushing air through the factory SC it would be extremely hard to keep them down. You would also have to do the split cooling system and find somewhere to locate the intercooler for the turbo. More weight and space needed. The intercooler for my setup is taking the spot of the H/E. And yes it will fit. I will have pics of it tomorrow. It does require some trimming of the front bumper, but you will not notice when it is back on.

2) Our factory supercharger isn't very efficient. The large turbo would be in place to pick up the power in the higher RPMs. The idea would be great because you would have the low end immediate power of the roots blower and the high RPM power (without lag) from the large turbo. The problem is that once that large turbo started pumping some serious air, the stock SC would start restricting it.

Once again those are just my thoughts. I do not claim to know everything lol. A LOT of guys on this forum that know way more. I think the twin GT3076R's will give great power, very minimal lag (I plan on installing gears like Craig did to take care of the small amount of lag), and low IAT's. Of course none of this means anything until we have it running with documented numbers! No one cares about peoples ideas, thoughts or dreams lol. I am all about giving actual numbers, so we will keep you guys posted as the build continues to progress.

I will have some more pics tomorrow to add
Good answer, just for the record I care about your dreams Ok, it's just because ours line up so well
Old 05-29-2013, 09:52 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 F150 FX4 Ecoboost, 03 e46 M3 (sold), 05 E55 (build is on), 03 Escalade (going to sell)
Originally Posted by PACougar
Good answer, just for the record I care about your dreams Ok, it's just because ours line up so well
LMFAO
Old 05-29-2013, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
1967 Pro Touring turbo LSX Camaro
This part is the easy part that could have been done back in 2003 when the car came out. Once they're done with the fa work, the MB enthusiast community holds bated breath to see DJ Jerry spin some tracks and bring this thing to life!

Originally Posted by Hammer Down
All I can say is wow! I've been around here for years and never thought I'd see the day that a TT E55 exist. Has off to Pas & The Big Easy. I remember when I asked the question years ago

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...TWIN+TURBO+E55
I'd leave the stock gear alone for now, I think you'll like it just how it is. A heavy car with turbochargers will like the tall gear. Unlike the factory PD lower the turbos boost curve is nonlinear. So a lower (numerically) gear will load the engine blower in the RPM range helping the compressors to spool, and is not like you need any extra mechanical torque multiplication from the gears.

I think the twin GT3076R's will give great power, very minimal lag (I plan on installing gears like Craig did to take care of the small amount of lag), and low IAT's. Of course none of this means anything until we have it running with documented numbers! No one cares about peoples ideas, thoughts or dreams lol. I am all about giving actual numbers, so we will keep you guys posted as the build continues to progress.

I will have some more pics tomorrow to add
Old 05-29-2013, 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Also, you're going to need to be very careful with this thing. When I was asking you the other day about other overpowered cars you might have owned before it was because I saw you throw the magic 1000hp number out there somewhere, and that's usually a good signal that this'll be your first.

I draw this analogy to those that seek this level of endowment for their road car-
Having a 1000whp street car is kind of like having a foot long d1ck. It's a great conversation starter, and it'll impress the hell out of strangers on the Internet but there's not much you can do with it.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:23 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

2012 F150 FX4 Ecoboost, 03 e46 M3 (sold), 05 E55 (build is on), 03 Escalade (going to sell)
Originally Posted by Sir-Boost-a-Lot
Also, you're going to need to be very careful with this thing. When I was asking you the other day about other overpowered cars you might have owned before it was because I saw you throw the magic 1000hp number out there somewhere, and that's usually a good signal that this'll be your first.

I draw this analogy to those that seek this level of endowment for their road car-
Having a 1000whp street car is kind of like having a foot long d1ck. It's a great conversation starter, and it'll impress the hell out of strangers on the Internet but there's not much you can do with it.
Completely agree Chris, this will all come down to tuning. I really think Jerry can get it done. But we will see. That's why I said none of this really matters till we have real numbers. Yes that means running.

Lol! I like your analogy about a 1' dick. I agree with you there also. This car will not be a daily driver for me and my plan is to have multiple tunes. The only real reason I would like to be close to 1k hp is for the track. I would keep it tuned down for the street driving. It is my 4th vehicle so I will drive it but not daily. And I will definitely be trying the car out before changing the gear ratio. Still plenty of testing and trials to happen. I am sure I will have several questions for you along this journey. You were one of the guys I was taking about that knows a lot more than me:-)
Old 05-30-2013, 12:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
shrimp boat
This part is the easy part that could have been done back in 2003 when the car came out. Once they're done with the fa work, the MB enthusiast community holds bated breath to see DJ Jerry spin some tracks and bring this thing to life!

I'd leave the stock gear alone for now, I think you'll like it just how it is. A heavy car with turbochargers will like the tall gear. Unlike the factory PD lower the turbos boost curve is nonlinear. So a lower (numerically) gear will load the engine blower in the RPM range helping the compressors to spool, and is not like you need any extra mechanical torque multiplication from the gears.
Amen to this, the stall will be more than enough to take care the lag. I would guess easily 650whp at 14psi. All I need is to hear/see your car run on the dyno at TimmayFest and I'll get myself in line with IPS. I can't wait!!
Old 05-30-2013, 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Forrest Gump 9
Amen to this, the stall will be more than enough to take care the lag. I would guess easily 650whp at 14psi. All I need is to hear/see your car run on the dyno at TimmayFest and I'll get myself in line with IPS. I can't wait!!
Don't knock the gears till you've felt them homey lol, looking forward to seeing you next week David and crew

It feels very snappy with the stall and gears, I think you will bite once you see what the low end feels like.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I dont think he was knocking a gear swap in general. It's not surprising that your blown car woke up with a gear/converter swap , however this turbo car will have different load characteristics and there's a good chance a shorter gear will have either no effect or actually slow it down.

Originally Posted by chawkins2001
Don't knock the gears till you've felt them homey lol, looking forward to seeing you next week David and crew

It feels very snappy with the stall and gears, I think you will bite once you see what the low end feels like.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
you to Hate

Old 05-30-2013, 01:30 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Intercooler mounted. Gotta work on the piping now and trim the bumper. Working on waste gates now.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 E55 AMG, 03 350z Track Built/Single Turbo
Core looks nice. You going with a dual inlet hotside and single outlet cold side to a custom manifold? Just wondering how you're going to do all this with that damn MB computer. Standalone EMS?
Old 05-30-2013, 03:36 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by taurran
Core looks nice. You going with a dual inlet hotside and single outlet cold side to a custom manifold? Just wondering how you're going to do all this with that damn MB computer. Standalone EMS?
More info on that will be given in the next few days
Old 05-30-2013, 03:36 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Forgot to mention. We are going with 700cc injectors
Old 05-30-2013, 03:46 PM

I'd still be interested in seeing how that fits behind the bumper. I've been thinking about asking someone to fab a custom water/air Spearco core for me, instead of the cookie cutter "heat exchangers" available.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:00 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

I'd still be interested in seeing how that fits behind the bumper. I've been thinking about asking someone to fab a custom water/air Spearco core for me, instead of the cookie cutter "heat exchangers" available.
I will definitely keep you posted and will get you some pics when I get them. That way you can see how much trimming is necessary.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:05 PM

I will definitely keep you posted and will get you some pics when I get them. That way you can see how much trimming is necessary.
Thanks, man. Will keep an eye out. You sticking with an E55 bumper? Unsure if other options like the oem E63, or aftermarket options like Prior Design, would have more room.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:33 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Thanks, man. Will keep an eye out. You sticking with an E55 bumper? Unsure if other options like the oem E63, or aftermarket options like Prior Design, would have more room.
Going to stay with the standard e55 bumper for now. IPS will be offering this as a kit for e55's after all the testing so they want to make sure it fits without people having to change everything on their car.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:54 AM

AMG WAGON
WOW! Great build! Its stuff like this that will make me want to keep this car forever! Props to you for taking us all along for the ride! Cant wait to see more...
Old 05-31-2013, 08:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Fantastic build. Due to packaging constraints I would have chosen something like the Borg Warner EFR 7076 turbo which has internal gates, internal bypass, a better compressor map AND is physically smaller than the GT3076R. But the GT3076R is definitely a fine choice none the less.

http://www.full-race.com/store/turbo...670-turbo.html

Extremely condensed package capable of 1000+whp on a twin turbo setup.

I also would have gone with a liquid to air setup since we already use those and it would be simple to make an intake manifold with an intercooler built in.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:46 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by GT-ER
Fantastic build. Due to packaging constraints I would have chosen something like the Borg Warner EFR 7076 turbo which has internal gates, internal bypass, a better compressor map AND is physically smaller than the GT3076R. But the GT3076R is definitely a fine choice none the less.

http://www.full-race.com/store/turbo...670-turbo.html

Extremely condensed package capable of 1000+whp on a twin turbo setup.

I also would have gone with a liquid to air setup since we already use those and it would be simple to make an intake manifold with an intercooler built in.
I like your thinking!
We actually will be going with a custom intake manifold with a built in intercooler The intake we are using now is just to get numbers and show what the base kit will offer. The intake with intercooler built in will be an upgrade option. That will be what is installed on my car after all testing and numbers are done with the base kit. And also, one of the benefits of the GT3076R turbos is that you can upgrade the turbos with direct bolt in applications
Old 05-31-2013, 09:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
I like your thinking!
We actually will be going with a custom intake manifold with a built in intercooler The intake we are using now is just to get numbers and show what the base kit will offer. The intake with intercooler built in will be an upgrade option. That will be what is installed on my car after all testing and numbers are done with the base kit. And also, one of the benefits of the GT3076R turbos is that you can upgrade the turbos with direct bolt in applications
Very very nice...and you are correct on the upgrade path, although I doubt anyone would care for more than 1000whp anyways. LOL.

Can't wait to see the results on this.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:04 AM
DVC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
'06 E55 AMG
Thanks! Yes the block will remain stock for now. We will get a lot of numbers and play around for a little bit. I really want to see what the stock block can handle with the turbos.
I really like your approach to this project. Start at Stage 1 and see what it does, and then build from there.

Also, that you're sharing everything...which is what it's all about yet rare for this platform. Nicely done, sir.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
you to Hate
Originally Posted by GT-ER

Old 05-31-2013, 03:58 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

A few more update pics..... Lights are all getting blacked out along with some other things.

And more work on the intercooler

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: PAS6201 E55 Build Thread