Notices
W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sloppy shifting when cold

Old 11-03-2014, 08:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E55 AMG - - 2005 SL55 AMG - - - - - - 2006 SLK55 AMG - - - - - - 2013 Ducati Diavel AMG -
It's best to start driving in Comfort mode when fluids are cold and then switch to Sport mode once warmed up..
Old 02-09-2018, 04:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2007 E63 Amg
I am a new owner of 2007 E63 and my tranny is somehow rough from 2nd-3rd but only during warm up.
I took the car in for check-up to one of the authorized Mercedes service centers. They said that fluid level was correct and that fluid sample looked clean. I asked for software update after reading this thread as it seems like it helped some of the folks here. The technician didn't recommend it. They said that they've had 3 customers whose shifting got worse after the update. They recommended replacing the valve body with upgraded 3rd generation valve body (vsg 3 or something like that) if shifting becomes really bad.
Old 02-09-2018, 04:57 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Every single car ever will not shift as smooth as normal when it is cold.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2007 E63 Amg
Originally Posted by Davednconfused View Post
Every single car ever will not shift as smooth as normal when it is cold.
I agree, but I had a 2013 E550 that was butter smooth even when it was cold. Perhaps shifting points were different when cold vs warm, but there wasn't a feel of "kick" that we get from W211 7Gs when cold. I also had W211 E350 with 5 speed tranny back in the time that had been shifting rough sometimes even when warm before it died. I mean it could have been fixed, probably, by putting in a new valve body and fluid, but the dealer said there was debris in the fluid and most likely internal components were bad, so I got rid of that car.

That is the reason I was worried about the shifting pattern in my E63 and started looking into solutions.