MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W211 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg-81/)
-   -   So I will confess (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/531077-so-i-will-confess.html)

aeroman 02-14-2014 03:04 PM

So I will confess

Yesterday leaving work I some how managed to get my E63 in manual mode and did not notice. It was sunny so I had my sunglasses on and the stereo up so it was a bit before I notice I was stuck in first gear. Never got above 30-35 but maybe drove a mile like that. Check engine light came on. Did not overheat at all. Code that came up was P0170 which I reset and has not come back. Stealer says if it runs fine not to worry about it as I have scheduled maintenance in two weeks (Service A). Scared the poop out of me. Wish there was some way to get an audible warning instead of just dash flashing red.

This morning on the way to work I pushed her a bit to see if I noticed anything. Runs fine, maybe better. I wonder if it super heated the gunk that builds up and burned it away.

Either way I have apologized to her and hopefully everything turns out okay.

:zoom:

MAN55LE 02-14-2014 03:07 PM

I know it's some motors if you drive like a vagina all the time it will be carbon buildup so potentially there is a chance that it could be running better that you're cleaning her up...but there's also the possibility of some miniscule or major damage.... but if she feels good and rides good I would change the oil and maybe flush the coolant or check your coolant and ride on. But I will say I have not looked up that code, or know what that code is, so maybe somebody else will chime in with some information more pertinent to your situation.

aeroman 02-14-2014 03:09 PM

Yup all the fluids are getting changed when she goes in.

speedpeddler 02-14-2014 03:46 PM

That is one of the things I really don't like about this car. It's very easy to bump it into manual mode without knowing. When it happens to me, I realize it right away. But, if it happened to my wife, she'd never know and drive all day in 1st. gear. It would be fine with me if the MB deleted the buttons on the steering wheel and I used the manual mode with the shifter when I wanted it.

p30amg08 02-14-2014 03:51 PM

glad to hear its running strong man, dont worry about it too much if it runs good and no more CEL..should be a good workout.

aeroman 02-14-2014 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by speedpeddler (Post 5942596)
That is one of the things I really don't like about this car. It's very easy to bump it into manual mode without knowing. When it happens to me, I realize it right away. But, if it happened to my wife, she'd never know and drive all day in 1st. gear. It would be fine with me if the MB deleted the buttons on the steering wheel and I used the manual mode with the shifter when I wanted it.

My kid pushed the button in our 4x4 to put it in 4 low lock and my wife drove 20 miles home wondering why the engine was screaming.

dbworld4k 02-14-2014 08:14 PM

...How on earth do you not notice the increased pedal effort/bucking in such a tight gear like 1st, while trying to maintain constant speed?

You don't need visual aids to tell you that you are in the wrong gear. :smash:

G_Money 02-14-2014 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by dbworld4k (Post 5942848)
...How on earth do you not notice the increased pedal effort/bucking in such a tight gear like 1st, while trying to maintain constant speed?

right?

ilko 02-14-2014 11:22 PM

Wrong avatar picture aeroman, don't expect anyone to help you ;)

dchl21 02-15-2014 12:10 AM

lol you are a truth teller ... all the time

dbworld4k 02-15-2014 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by dchl21 (Post 5943021)
lol you are a truth teller ... all the time

Lol. What?

aeroman 02-15-2014 06:14 AM

That did occur to me. :)

aeroman 02-15-2014 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by ilko (Post 5942995)
Wrong avatar picture aeroman, don't expect anyone to help you ;)

You like the ones on Rennlist better?

ilko 02-15-2014 11:03 AM

Yeah, I like 'em a little better.