MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W211 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg-81/)
-   -   !!! ATTENTION !!!! - FUEL LEAK ISSUE HAS BEEN SETTLED BY DAIMLER-BENZ... 2014.12.23 (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/568641-attention-fuel-leak-issue-has-been-settled-daimler-benz-2014-12-23-a.html)

OZZYAMG 12-23-2014 06:12 PM

Hi

What about us over in Australia?

Regards,

OZZYAMG

dchl21 12-23-2014 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by HeissRod (Post 6272525)
Now I want mine to leak so I can get new pumps instead of replacing them as a maintenance item.

well... my rarely smells ... and problly no leak but I do want new pumps...u guys think they will just do it ?

lol

Max.H 12-23-2014 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by OZZYAMG (Post 6272576)
Hi

What about us over in Australia?

Regards,

OZZYAMG

Great news!!!

Does this apply to all countries MB are sold?

I don't want to walk into a dealer and just make claims. Does anyone know if any MB dealer will honor this?

Hulk 12-23-2014 07:18 PM

Wow, this will cost mb lots of money, best bet is to engineer a new system so its done once and for all. I wonder how many times you can go back if they fail

bobgodd 12-23-2014 07:32 PM

Is this related to the fuel pump recall issue, or some other issue?

E55Greasemonkey 12-23-2014 07:39 PM

The dealerships have not been told about this yet, give them a couple days before you show up with the pitchforks and torches!

Max.H 12-23-2014 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by E55Greasemonkey (Post 6272667)
The dealerships have not been told about this yet, give them a couple days before you show up with the pitchforks and torches!

:rolf:

WANTED!! 12-23-2014 07:50 PM

Oddly enough, this is the only Christmas present I'm getting this year, and it's from a company that could honestly give two craps about who I am. FML, right?? :rolf:

E55Freak 12-23-2014 07:52 PM

so this is a warranty item, I don't think they are going to replace everything just because you say it stinks. I bet they are going to throw the least amount of parts at it after they "deem" it need repairs. keep your expectations low...

Hulk 12-23-2014 08:22 PM

They will not be stupid with this, if it has fuel or it's burned, they will change them.

cptncreme 12-23-2014 08:33 PM

Son of a Bit**, I just changed mine earlier today!!!!!

sircl55amg 12-23-2014 08:57 PM

only for usa ?

Worth the wait 12-23-2014 08:58 PM

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!

Mine has leaked once....I replaced both. Now it smells intermittently again and have been waiting for this.

So happy because not only will I get it fixed again for free, but they owe me money for the first round!

WIN-WIN!!!!

mtrhed 12-23-2014 09:04 PM

wow...

Just had everything replaced last week at the dealer....that'll be nice if I can get that scratch back! That's about half the cost of coilovers.....

Worth the wait 12-23-2014 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by novae500 (Post 6272347)
What about those that had to fix out of pocket prior to 12/23/14? Where does that leave us? Does this mean that during the 15 yrs, we can take it in for multiple repairs if it leaks again and again?

If I read the letter correctly it is pretty straightforward. The fuel pump/filters and tank have a 15yr/no mileage warranty from in service date. It is retroactive and covers any out of pocket expenses we have incurred related to this issue, provided the issue would have been eligible for warranty work during the original period.
It is not a recall/tsb so they will not automatically replace parts unless they clearly fail. Keep in mind that these units should be replaced roughly every five years to avoid them clogging and causing lean issues....that issues IS NOT covered in this letter, as MB says they are good for life....cough..BS....cough:)

Good luck everybody, I think this is going to be a great thing for us!

Brabus K8 12-23-2014 10:45 PM

This is great news. First I want to thank you guys like GregMB who pushed and stayed on top of this so we could all benefit. I changed my passenger side last month and still had the smell every time I filled up and was going to replace the drivers side. Now I can at their expense, and I will fill it up when I go in so they can smell my pain.

GregMB 12-23-2014 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Brabus K8 (Post 6272806)
This is great news. First I want to thank you guys like GregMB who pushed and stayed on top of this so we could all benefit. I changed my passenger side last month and still had the smell every time I filled up and was going to replace the drivers side. Now I can at their expense, and I will fill it up when I go in so they can smell my pain.

:y

Thanks!

-G

zarevron 12-23-2014 11:22 PM

Yeah - so about a month ago put the car in the garage for the winter and filled with a full tank of gas.

- One week before I put it away - P0456 - reset it, never came back.
- The next morning the garage reeked of fuel, no drips under the car, smell was coming from the inside. Had the sender replaced in 2012 then the smell was from the outside).
- Spoke to the dealer - they said bring it in.
- Last week took out the kid seat and the rear cushion before dropping it off (figured I'd treat the leather whilst the car was in the shop to get rid of the divots the car seat had made).
- Next day the car is gone, only thing in the garage was the rear cushion. The smell was just as bad, if not worse, than when the car was still there. - Let the cushion sit for 5 days, no change - still reeked. Washing time.

So yeah stripped the leather off and gave the cushion a good 4 hours wash, it still kind of smells like gas - but I think that will dissipate. Its pretty clear from the yellowing/orange areas where gas made contact and absorbed into the foam - how they deny that is beyond me. I took pictures.

I'm going to be really curious as to whether I have to pay the bill on this (CANADA) - I'm thinking yes - but wow wouldn't it be nice if the right thing happens and MB picks up the tab given I have less that 20,000km since the 2012 fix. Only issue I think there is that there are no upgraded parts - they are going to put the same new stuff in and a few years - repeat.

Edit - my car is still in the shop...

http://www.rasmus.ca/e55/rear_cushion1.jpg

http://www.rasmus.ca/e55/rear_cushion2.jpg

AMG X 12-24-2014 12:21 AM

GregMB: Thank you for making us aware of this!!

One of the best news to receive at the end of the year. No more worrying about this issue.

While it doesn't seem to be a permanent fix, it would be nice if they redesign the parts to reduce failure.

99lightning 12-24-2014 08:08 AM

my local dealer was not aware of this at all. and if I bring it in I will be charged.

BagMan 12-24-2014 09:49 AM

Can't you just print off a copy of the letter from MB to NHTSA and bring it to the dealer?

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...3003-61085.pdf

Sugar_Mouth 12-24-2014 10:53 AM

This is fantastic news!

viren.89 12-24-2014 11:30 AM

That's great news. I just got P0456 code on yesterday lol

Will this apply to people outside of states? Canada? for example?

Hulk 12-24-2014 01:10 PM

Gregmb deserves a lot of credit he collected everyone's info and also guys that replaced the pumps and tank more than once and I know a few of us even sent them to the the guy at the nhtsa.

Beleive it or not this may actually stop the dropping value of the E lol

marroquin38 12-24-2014 02:00 PM

This is great news, thanks Gregmb!