MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W211 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg-81/)
-   -   Stock Crank pulley wobble! (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/569777-stock-crank-pulley-wobble.html)

ALEN35 01-03-2015 10:21 PM

Stock Crank pulley wobble!

I know it is a common issue with our cars. I have noticed the wobble after I have installed a smaller S/C pulley. I have a 3 pc ASP idler pulley set on my car. However I don't have belt wrap kit and have not replaced a tensioner yet.
I still have a stock size S/C belt on it. Only my crank pulley has a wobble, but I am not sure because I have some engine vibr. since I put in new engine mounts. Optical illusion maybe!? I hope so. What should be an order of things to do,check, replace first? If I have to replace Crank pulley, which one to buy?
Used OEM? New OEM? Aftermarket? I would like to keep it stock size

Need some Info guys! Thanks

Will post a video in the morning!:confused::confused::confused:

320 dreamer 01-04-2015 09:30 AM

there is likely an elastomer between the sections of the factory pulley that is failing or coming out. it happened on my silk when i had it. replaced the factory pulley with new unit all was well. look to see if you have elastomer separation. should be easy to see

nanayaw6 01-04-2015 11:24 AM

^^This. I have an extra stock one with about <10k miles on it if you end up searching for one.

ALEN35 01-04-2015 12:24 PM

I can't upload the video. It will not let me
I think it may not work uploading it from my phone

MUSTANGRIDAH 08-23-2016 03:58 PM

So what was the final outcome?

pumpedTSI 08-23-2016 06:01 PM

Happened to me.....my stock crank pulley separated into 2 parts one day.....clean separation, the original oem rubber damping material eventually gave up (car had 129k). Installed new oem pulley ($500 online) and all seems well so far....

hayseed 08-23-2016 09:03 PM

if you have to replace it why not get a slightly larger one and get some fun out of spending the money........

BoostedAero 08-24-2016 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by pumpedTSI (Post 6896476)
Happened to me.....my stock crank pulley separated into 2 parts one day.....clean separation, the original oem rubber damping material eventually gave up (car had 129k). Installed new oem pulley ($500 online) and all seems well so far....

@125k now.... guess I have to put that 185mm pulley I have on sooner than I thought. I have about 2mm separation that is new. I can tell from the evident difference in oxidation between the SC/Acc drive pulley. It this is on my list but now I guess is #1 along with adding some additional "mod friendly" additional equipment Comprehensive Insurance coverage through USAA.

I can see them blaming my LTH for the failure.

Guess she is getting parked again. My Accord will be happy though lol

BoostedAero 08-24-2016 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by pumpedTSI (Post 6896476)

New ARP bolt?

Installed with tq + 90 degrees proper like?

What did it take out when it fell off PumpedTSI?

pumpedTSI 08-24-2016 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by BoostedAero (Post 6897468)
New ARP bolt?

What did it take out when it fell off PumpedTSI?

Believe it or not......nothing.....I got lucky. Opened the hood and the outer piece was laying in the bottom of the bay on top of the tray......belt came off, motor still ran......no damage. I drove it to the shop, in fact, it was at the shop I discovered it......

TheTherapist 08-24-2016 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by pumpedTSI (Post 6897527)
Believe it or not......nothing.....I got lucky. Opened the hood and the outer piece was laying in the bottom of the bay on top of the tray......belt came off, motor still ran......no damage. I drove it to the shop, in fact, it was at the shop I discovered it......

Yep similar with my oem HB - I also got lucky with my 84mm SC pulley when it failed I was able to replace before catastrophe. :eek::smash: