Sponsored by:

Looking to buy a Higher Mileage AMG.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DTM Audi S4
Looking to buy a Higher Mileage AMG.

First off, hello there MBworld. I was approved for a certain amount, which would allow me to purchase a lower mileage (40-50k) E63. As of late though, the girlfriend had a fit about me spending too much money. I've cut my budget from 27k to about 23-24 now to keep my monthly payment down just a bit. Marriage is in the cards as well as a few other things. Either way, my real question is,
an AMG with 77k miles on it.....too much? I would be getting it PPI'd and what not, but is there a huge reason why I shouldn't? I won't give up on the AMG just yet, unless there is something I should avoid with them.

I know about the headbolt issue, transmission and air ride system issues as well. Doesn't seem like everyone is having those issues, but who knows!
Old 05-15-2015, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
'06 E55
If you can get it with a warranty, that would help.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
A Merc
If this is a daily, then I would advise against it because these cars break and when they do they can cost money and since you seem to be saving up for a wedding and already have a wife to be that hates the idea, you might be biting off more than you can chew, we have seen that here often and then the person sells the car because he can't fix it etc.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:28 PM

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts
V60 Polestar, Veloster N 6MT
Originally Posted by Hulk
If this is a daily, then I would advise against it because these cars break and when they do they can cost money and since you seem to be saving up for a wedding and already have a wife to be that hates the idea, you might be biting off more than you can chew, we have seen that here often and then the person sells the car because he can't fix it etc.
^this. Your girlfriend is smart. AMGs, like any premium high performance vehicle, costs money to maintain. If you can't afford it, don't put yourself in that position to begin with. You're already rolling with a DTM S4, so you should already know this.

Regarding "high mileage" (which 77k is not), I wouldn't worry about it at all if there is documented maintenance history for the car. IMO, documented maintenance is the most important thing when buying a used car - not low mileage.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:32 PM

DTM Audi S4
Originally Posted by Hulk
I appreciate the input!
During the summer I typically ride my bike to work, so it will be less than a daily, I guess running errands here and there throughout the week when it's necessary.
I may actually take a bit of the extra money from the loan and put it towards that headbolt issue. I guess if it works out, I'll be on here quite a bit more.
Old 05-15-2015, 01:09 PM

05 E55 AMG, 07 GL450
Just buy my low miles E55 which includes warranty 😀
Old 05-17-2015, 12:55 PM

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
cls55 amg
I purchased a high mileage Amg back in late December and I've put over 10k miles on it since... If you can work on it yourself you should be fine but keep a couple thousand bucks aside because maintenance issues are going to happen.
I've had to do the alternator and window regulator so far and I'll be fixing a power steering leak next week and I'm sure more will show up before the year ends. That said, even if I knew I'd have these issues when I bought the car I'd still do it. The juice is worth the squeeze in this case.
Old 05-17-2015, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 338 Likes on 290 Posts
2005 e55 AMG
I can tell you this...if you can do ANYTHING as far as working on a car than why not, take a shot at 75k for miles. But....if you have to pay someone or have to go to the Stealer...no way. The cost's are incredible for just about everything. Listen to Hulk!
Old 05-17-2015, 07:35 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
05 E55, 06 Audi S4
Originally Posted by SICAMG
I can tell you this...if you can do ANYTHING as far as working on a car than why not, take a shot at 75k for miles. But....if you have to pay someone or have to go to the Stealer...no way. The cost's are incredible for just about everything. Listen to Hulk!
Why an e63? for the na motor or the different bumpers? Ide go e55 for sure, why worry about a headbolt issue?
Old 05-17-2015, 10:36 PM

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
2016 E63s
I dont think 77k is really high. If you can do some work on the car yourself and have a backup stash for "just in case", you should be ok.

Would I be correct in thinking that Audi is modified? Is that what your girlfriend is worried about, you getting the mod bug with the new ride when that $ couldve gone to wedding/married life stuff?
Old 05-17-2015, 11:37 PM

E63 W211 08, C32 W203 02
The BMW dealer offered me 30K for my E63 with 45K miles.