MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W211 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg-81/)
-   -   What exactly does a heat exchanger do? (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/595405-what-exactly-does-heat-exchanger-do.html)

AMG__POWER 08-06-2015 05:30 AM

What exactly does a heat exchanger do?

Hello everyone,
Proud new e55 owner here, just had some questions on heat exchangers, what exactly do they do, and are they a good mod to have for strictly STREET RACING? i will never take the car to a drag strip. I bought the car with the following mods,

ECU tune
Pulleys
IC pump

I live in California so they temps are fairly hot year round, I have read that when the temps get to hot the car gets heat soaked and the supercharger shuts off, is this correct? If so does the Heat Exchanger prevent this completely, like I said I will only race the car on the streets or freeways never on the drag but I want to try and prevent the car heat soaking, after 2 or 3 runs
Thanks

sexyxe 08-06-2015 05:45 AM

It cools the water down, which cools down the air which has been compressed by the supercharger. If the air that has been compressed is too hot, your car will pull timing initially to prevent detonation, then if it continues to rise, disconnect the clutch on the supercharger.

If you're familiar with turbo cars, the inter cooler for them is out the front as air will pass over it directly to be cooled. With ours the inter cooler is underneath the charger and needs to be cooled by water.

Sir-Boost-a-Lot 08-06-2015 10:14 AM

In this application the heat exchanger takes what little heat the grossly inadequate intercooler is able to remove from the freshly compressed intake air and transfers it to the passing atmosphere :)

unagi1 08-06-2015 10:30 AM

Nice. Grossly inadequate is on point. One of the more common mods is to upgrade the HE pump, which will circulate the water through the system faster, attempting to compensate for the inadequacies of said w/a intercooler.

tumbler510 08-07-2015 05:49 PM

So for better cooling, replace the Intercooler pump, Heat Exchanger Pump, and Intercooler?
Anything else?

AMG__POWER 08-07-2015 06:28 PM

That's what I'm wondering I have a new bosh 010 pump but I was wondering if I add the heat exchanger is that the missing piece

unagi1 08-07-2015 06:37 PM

HX, HX pump (also called intercooler pump), and potentially trunk mounted reservoir you can pack with ice.

The stock A2W intercooler is staying where it is underneath the supercharger.

E55Freak 08-08-2015 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by AMG__POWER (Post 6520485)
That's what I'm wondering I have a new bosh 010 pump but I was wondering if I add the heat exchanger is that the missing piece

Adding the HE will help the car recover quicker from heat soak
after hard runs. You should add this if you are going to start adding mods...if you are going to add a trunk tank then you may want to hold off some bypass the HE and just run it direct to the ic pump and back , it keeps the car cooler that way.

AMG__POWER 08-17-2015 05:28 AM

I dont really want to do split cooling I was just thinking if I added the heat exchanger it would prevent heat soak for when I do decide to joy ride which isn't very often

ALEN35 08-17-2015 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by AMG__POWER (Post 6528809)
I dont really want to do split cooling I was just thinking if I added the heat exchanger it would prevent heat soak for when I do decide to joy ride which isn't very often

Nice car you got there, enjoy it!
I had no issues making number off pulls with that car without heat soak.
Heat exchanged was gonna be my next mode!:zoom:

SLoverCZ 01-22-2020 03:48 PM

Hello guys, when I install killer chiller, should I remove thermostat? Someone from Mercedes told me, that thermostat cuts the flow of intercooler fluid in certainly temperature. And how you measure temperature of coolant? Thanks