Sponsored by:

Noise Problem (with video)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 03:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55, Mazda CX9
Noise Problem (with video)

I recently had my SC Pulley replaced as well as moving back to an OEM crank pulley. The old SC let go on the dyno causing it to pop a hole in a water pipe. aux and Idler bearing were replaced because they were wobbling.

It was fixed yesterday, I started the engine this morning and heard a noise that doesn't sound good. I'm speaking to the guys that did the work.

In the video www.youtu.be/bRh0DlCFX4E you'll hear a metal on metal high pitch rotating noise. After the car got up to temp the noise reduced a little, on boost under the noise returns, sounds like the SC. Could be too many or too few SC pulley shims make this noise? Hope its not the SC internal bearings, either way it sounds rough and needs fixing.

Thanks
Old 09-03-2015, 08:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
Get a spray lubricant like WD40.
With the engine off, lightly spray between the two idler pulleys taking care to not get any on the belts (use the straw tip and stick in between the pulleys before spraying)
Do this when the car is cold
If the noise goes away, take the idler pulley apart and reinstall properly.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
E55
You can run the car briefly without the accessory belt or the super charger belt. I would remove the belts (one at a time) and narrow down which belt/component it's associated with. It sounds like a dry bearing.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
A Merc
^^^ yup take sc belt to eliminate that from the equation, also the sc pulley gap seems like a lot. Make to properly gap that
Old 09-03-2015, 04:36 PM

E55, Mazda CX9
Thanks guys, good to hear it could just be pulley bearings, our eagle eyed friends at EC also called out the Idler Pulley still has the factory mounting ring on it which is not required for with the billet pulley upgrade. I'll give all this a go and report back.

Thanks for your time as always.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:55 PM

E55, Mazda CX9
Video with SC Belt Removed.

Lovely rainy morning in Sydney AU today.

Removed the SC Belt and ran it, the noise is still audible, seems like its coming from the bottom right if you are facing the engine bay.

Idler Pulley wobbles but thats not the main problem.

Thanks

Ben
Old 09-03-2015, 07:40 PM

E55, Mazda CX9
Looking at the picture below, I think it's either the power steering pump, air con compressor or the tensioner pulley.

1, 3 or 4 in the pic below.

I'd like to learn how to drain, remove the radiator, fan and bleed myself. Seems like something that may need to be done on a regular basis in order to diagnose and fix problems. The DIY's I've seen for this https://mbworld.org/how-tos/a/merced...adiator-387315

I'm going to remove the fan shroud to check the three items.

I did notice the back of the car had lowered this morning, which may point to the Power Steering / Air Ride Pump.

Originally Posted by NSWEuroCharged
E55 Noise without SC Belt - YouTube Video with SC Belt Removed.

Lovely rainy morning in Sydney AU today.

Removed the SC Belt and ran it, the noise is still audible, seems like its coming from the bottom right if you are facing the engine bay.

Idler Pulley wobbles but thats not the main problem.

Thanks

Ben

Last edited by NSWEuroCharged; 09-03-2015 at 09:28 PM. Reason: more details
Old 09-04-2015, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
Originally Posted by NSWEuroCharged
Looking at the picture below, I think it's either the power steering pump, air con compressor or the tensioner pulley.

1, 3 or 4 in the pic below.

I'd like to learn how to drain, remove the radiator, fan and bleed myself. Seems like something that may need to be done on a regular basis in order to diagnose and fix problems. The DIY's I've seen for this https://mbworld.org/how-tos/a/merced...adiator-387315

I'm going to remove the fan shroud to check the three items. Fan Shroud Removal for Mercedes W211 | Radiator Fan Removal for Mercedes E Class - YouTube

I did notice the back of the car had lowered this morning, which may point to the Power Steering / Air Ride Pump.

I have that problem, sounds like the drivers idea low down the accessory belt loop. I did the spray between the idler pulleys and noise gone!
Old 09-06-2015, 01:39 AM

E55, Mazda CX9
Took a good look at the lower pulleys yesterday, removing the fan shroud is so much easier with a lift, small cross head screw is the only thing preventing it from being a very quick job.

Unfortunately we could not see any issues with either the Steering Pump, Air Con Compressor or Lower Tensioner. So its back to square one with the original noise.

The garage that fitted the SC Pulley did not gap it correctly which is very disappointing considering I gave them EC instructions link, it was massively out.

I'm going to replace all the pulley bearings with Nachi one's, if they cant gap the SC Pulley and follow instructions not sure about the bearing quality. Also going to swap out the SC Oil and Gap the Pulley correctly.

This video shows how much the SC Pulley Tensioner is wobbling with the new bearing

I have a number of issues with the car, I did notice the back of the car had completely sunk to the floor overnight.

Last edited by NSWEuroCharged; 09-06-2015 at 01:43 AM. Reason: spelling