MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W211 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg-81/)
-   -   The Full Story On Adjusters & Cams (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/598464-full-story-adjusters-cams.html)

layzie12g 09-03-2015 04:56 PM

The Full Story On Adjusters & Cams

I originally posted this in the C63 part of the forum, but I know most of the tech guys are here. Since it applies to E63s also, I thought I would put it in this section as well.

I think we should do the best we can to clear this issue up.

I am a Benz tech and have done cams, lifters, and adjusters on the 6.2. I have seen the cam/lifter failure on engines that should be okay per their engine vin number, but they are suffered the failure. When your getting the constant valve train noise, remove the valve cover, and take a look. It is a pretty easy one to figure out.

Cam adjusters on the other hand have me wondering what is "normal" and what would be considered problematic. I know these cars when new did not make the chatter on start. This is for sure. I have done all four adjusters on an E63 with 100k on it, and I would get 20 degrees of crank rotation before the intake cams would move. New adjusters and the engine stayed in time. Also this engine would pass the adjuster test using an SDS before the adjusters were replaced.

Has anyone had catastrophic engine failure due to a cam adjuster on a 6.2? My car has 108k on it and will occasionally make adjuster noise on start. It will never do it for more then a second. It seems people are having adjusters replaced, and then a few thousand miles later are having noise again.

I have read the L.I. documents, but would like to get some feedback from MB techs or people who have first hand experience. On a side note, I'm also curious if the adjusters not fully advancing timing is the reason some 63s make much more or less power then an identically modified car.

Lets hear what you guys think.

whipplem104 09-03-2015 07:47 PM

I have never taken the 63 adjusters apart but I would imagine they use a locking pin like the 272/273 adjusters to prevent them from making noise on start up. The pin pushes out when oil pressure builds up. Only takes a few seconds at most. I have had the pins in the 272/273 stick and taken them apart and cleaned them and had them work just fine again.

layzie12g 09-03-2015 08:21 PM

I see you are in Seattle?

whipplem104 09-03-2015 09:32 PM

Eastside actually.

Missionary 11-19-2015 02:36 AM

Hey guys and galls, is anyone able to dig out or ask their service advisors to dig out their old camshaft adjusters for layzie12g to have a look at?

Anyone from one of the part stores willing to front for a new one to compare against? ECS Tuning?

We really should bottom this out.

If there is a mod to be made we will all benefit.

RZT5 11-19-2015 06:22 AM

Not sure if I myself have anything valuable to add to this thread, but I'll talk to my friend who is the AMG tech at MB Portland and see if he has any input. Definitely an interesting topic and something I would like to see fully understood and documented.

My own M156 cam/lifter/adjuster experience for what it's worth: had lifters and cams replaced in my 2008 at 43k because of intermittent ticking from the top end when engine was hot. Car now has 46k, hasn't made that same ticking noise since, but after the car has been sitting for a week or so it has what I think is adjustor chatter coming from only the drivers side bank until the oil reaches operating temp.

layzie12g 11-19-2015 11:16 AM

This thread has a TON of information on the 204 C63 section of the forum.

hachiroku 11-19-2015 02:23 PM

my E63 has made lifter/adjuster noise upon startup once. it was very loud and got me very worried. went away after 5 minutes warm up and 2 minutes of driving. haven't heard it since.

Matt Lin 07-11-2017 10:50 PM

2010 C63

Hello Joe,

Just bought a C63 AMG Estate in Taiwan.

Would you please run my VIN number:

WDD2042771F501417

Thank you in advance.

Matt

menaceAMG 09-09-2017 05:06 PM

please help, looking to buy this WDDGJ7HB1DG040939

removedCFGaccount 09-16-2017 10:51 PM

Yikes! Autocorrect sucks. Recision

A7MaDO-aD 09-20-2017 11:11 AM

2013 C63

Edited. Wrong post

BenzBtDntBrake 11-19-2017 01:34 PM

Oops.

Strigoi 11-19-2017 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by BenzBtDntBrake (Post 7315631)
Hello, do you mind checking this one for me?

WDDGF7HB6EA955372

Thanks in advanced!
-Rich

There's no one in this thread running VINs. Why are you even asking here?

BenzBtDntBrake 11-19-2017 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Strigoi (Post 7315672)
There's no one in this thread running VINs. Why are you even asking here?

Lol oops looks like the thread switched when I was scrolling on mobile. My bad honest accident

6172crew 11-20-2017 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by BenzBtDntBrake (Post 7315712)
Lol oops looks like the thread switched when I was scrolling on mobile. My bad honest accident

I thought I was crazy the first time I went from M156 Cams to windshield wiper threads.

6172crew 11-20-2017 06:16 PM

I was watching the M156 Cam youtube videos, the middle eastern guy was pointing out the pin inside the adjuster gets mushroomed and to take out and throw it in upside down. It uses a spring to keep it in. All of his video are pretty good, he seems to know his M156 very well, and he also mentions the intake side loosing the chrome plating is because of the wrong oil. The exhaust side is sitting in an oil bath and doesn't need to oil injection like the intake side. He did mention the higher temps in the middle east kept him from using the lower weight oils, he used 10-40 I think.

Ill see if I can link to the first of his videos. I think he has 3, maybe 4 including one where he shows the pin inside the adjusters.

hachiroku 11-20-2017 06:22 PM

he's italian...and he's the M156 god.

6172crew 11-20-2017 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by hachiroku (Post 7316651)
he's italian...and he's the M156 god.

His Video said he was in UAE so I assumed he was from there but I forgot they don't really do anything themselves, it's imported folks who do the work. Kuwait has the French do all the work on the planes inside the military hanger I visited.

cfwp81a 02-10-2018 04:53 PM

The Mechanic shown here lives in the UAE and his name is Tasos Moschatos. He is from Greece. He is a mechanic for BMW, Mercedes, and just about everything else on wheels. If you subscribe to his You Tube page, he uploads new videos frequently and has quite a few posted about the M156 and its known issues. Moreover, he takes the time to explain his findings and has rebuilt several of these engines. The videos are quite informative and answer a lot (if not most) of the questions I see discussed here on these forums. He will answer your questions directly on his Facebook page occasionally as well.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0E...X0Te1yWpisqAYg Here is a link to his videos. FYI-...

6172crew 02-10-2018 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by cfwp81a (Post 7378367)
The Mechanic shown here lives in the UAE and his name is Tasos Moschatos. He is from Greece. He is a mechanic for BMW, Mercedes, and just about everything else on wheels. If you subscribe to his You Tube page, he uploads new videos frequently and has quite a few posted about the M156 and its known issues. Moreover, he takes the time to explain his findings and has rebuilt several of these engines. The videos are quite informative and answer a lot (if not most) of the questions I see discussed here on these forums. He will answer your questions directly on his Facebook page occasionally as well.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0E...X0Te1yWpisqAYg Here is a link to his videos. FYI-...

He also has a Facebook page, post pics of everything he works on, although he hasn’t really posted much on the technical side. The owners of the cars he works in must have extra $$ laying around because he shows some crazy stuff like billet rods, and some other parts. He also mentioned he won’t ever change the bolts out one at a time so I have t asked him what he things about the new bolts and torque values because I’m not going to remove the heads at 32.5k Miles. Just waiting on my cam tool, and a few other small parts before I tear into mine.

Strigoi 02-11-2018 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by 6172crew (Post 7378573)

He also mentioned he won’t ever change the bolts out one at a time so I have t asked him what he things about the new bolts and torque values because I’m not going to remove the heads at 32.5k Miles. Just waiting on my cam tool, and a few other small parts before I tear into mine.

My mechanic is doing my head bolts 1 at a time next weekend. He's been doing this for 20 years now and I trust him. Also getting the lowering links installed on the E63, new plugs since he'll be in there and hopefully he can find my heat shield rattle. The E320 wagon is also getting lowered on some Bilstein B6 shocks and new upper control arms. Next weekend is going to be a busy one for him with my cars.

6172crew 02-12-2018 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Strigoi (Post 7378972)
My mechanic is doing my head bolts 1 at a time next weekend. He's been doing this for 20 years now and I trust him. Also getting the lowering links installed on the E63, new plugs since he'll be in there and hopefully he can find my heat shield rattle. The E320 wagon is also getting lowered on some Bilstein B6 shocks and new upper control arms. Next weekend is going to be a busy one for him with my cars.

I used to live in a neighboring city (concord), if I had the support I might have paid to have mine done but I moved to the Lab out in NM and I wouldn't let some of these guys wash my windows. No pride what so ever. Not just MB, its everything out here. Halfassery should be the state motto.

Tomrich2 03-05-2018 03:52 PM

Oops, sorry posted in wrong thread ... :topic:

qmciver 09-11-2018 02:42 PM

Oops