MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W211 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg-81/)
-   -   The Haltech elite 2500 parallel install. (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/600178-haltech-elite-2500-parallel-install.html)

Mitch Detailed 09-20-2015 05:24 PM

The Haltech elite 2500 parallel install.

I figured id make a separate thread for the install of the haltech elite 2500.

Teaser :
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...02912acaf9.jpg

Hulk 09-20-2015 05:34 PM

You are prepared to lose most of the convenience functions of the car ?

RedBullJnky 09-20-2015 06:03 PM

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

StarvingArtist 09-20-2015 06:15 PM

Uncharted waters. Interesting.

Mitch Detailed 09-20-2015 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Hulk (Post 6561877)
You are prepared to lose most of the convenience functions of the car ?

I think you'll be surprised at what little is lost. If I give throttle control to the elite, ill lose cruise control, and that's it. Not too big of a deal if you ask me. ;)

stockC43 09-20-2015 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Mitch Detailed (Post 6561908)
I think you'll be surprised at what little is lost. If I give throttle control to the elite, ill lose cruise control, and that's it. Not too big of a deal if you ask me. ;)

Very interested in the results :y

Hulk 09-20-2015 06:26 PM

I think canbus is gonna freak out but good luck and let us know, have plenty of Advil or aspirin on hand because it's not going to be fun

Mitch Detailed 09-20-2015 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Hulk (Post 6561914)
I think canbus is gonna freak out but good luck and let us know, have plenty of Advil or aspirin on hand because it's not going to be fun

As do most people. Most get overwhelmed with the amount of canbus information, I'm not concerned with that.

with a parallel install, the oem ecu still works as normal as it always would. It just wont know that it's sending output signals to dummy load resistors instead of the ignition and injection circuits

(closed loop fuel lambda target will have to be adjusted in an oem map in order to not throw codes for the long term and short term fuel trims, more on that later..)

ignition has no real feedback loop, so as long as the engine isn't misfiring, the ecu can't determine an issue there...

canbus is left with the oem ecu... it's sending and receiving information like it always has. canbus communication isn't affected like most people think.. engine electronics aren't omnipotent, they are simply input and output controllers. as long as the data input is within the limits of running correctly, there isn't an issue.

Hulk 09-20-2015 08:15 PM

Good luck to you

Denroll 09-20-2015 11:34 PM

You had my curiosity. Now, you have my attention.

What's your timeline looking like?

Mitch Detailed 09-21-2015 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Denroll (Post 6562143)

I've got some logs from scanxlpro for the oem ecu. Maximum timing obtained is 33* I believe on whatever reflash It had when I bought the car.

Not really too worried about how much timing the stock ecu puts out. It won't matter much after the fact.

jmb614 09-21-2015 10:11 AM

I believe he meant how long before you have results, not how much timing is in the tune :)

Mitch Detailed 09-21-2015 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by jmb614 (Post 6562433)
I believe he meant how long before you have results, not how much timing is in the tune :)

Lol, good catch. Im hoping to ve completely done by springtime. My work schedule is like 60 hours a week, so i get 8 hours or so on one weekday and possibly some extra time on the weekends. Ive still got a few more things to order and some answers to find on a few things.

First step is dataloggong and i/o analysis

hyperion667 09-21-2015 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Denroll (Post 6562143)

haha, love that one:)

e500slr 09-21-2015 05:40 PM

Nice! Good luck to you. You're way smarter than I'll ever be. I would get scared of even starting something like this, plus I have no electronics knowledge :D

WANTED!! 09-21-2015 05:49 PM

I think I'm going to have to subscribe to this thread.

Max.H 09-21-2015 09:04 PM

Hey Mitch whats up buddy! It looks like you didn't give up. Nice!! BUt, the obvious question why not just buy the tuning software that the tuners use tune your stock computer?

Mitch Detailed 09-21-2015 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Max.H (Post 6563132)
Hey Mitch whats up buddy! It looks like you didn't give up. Nice!! BUt, the obvious question why not just buy the tuning software that the tuners use tune your stock computer?

For a variety of reasons.
1. background, i've had a little bit of experience with haltech systems in the past. they're very user friendly, have great support, and continual support. that in itself is something you won't find with the oem software or oem reinnovative software. I dont know the first place to start with trying to find answers and instructions to doing using the software/hardware properly.

2. Flexibility. While the E55 will be getting the Elite 2500, my goal is to use it on another vehicle I own as well. (95 turbo honda civic) 1 ecu, adapter harnesses, less money.

3. More control, and better control. The possibilities are nearly endless of what I can control based on any parameter or set of parameters or conditions, as well as being able to add sensors for more control.

chances are if you're running nitrous and/or water meth on your car, you're running some type of controller, I just took it a step further... a Big step further. :D

JoeNobody 09-21-2015 11:09 PM

The Haltech elite 2500 parallel install.

Very excited about your progress!! This platform needs more shaking up

Max.H 09-21-2015 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mitch Detailed (Post 6563175)
For a variety of reasons.
1. background, i've had a little bit of experience with haltech systems in the past. they're very user friendly, have great support, and continual support. that in itself is something you won't find with the oem software or oem reinnovative software. I dont know the first place to start with trying to find answers and instructions to doing using the software/hardware properly.

2. Flexibility. While the E55 will be getting the Elite 2500, my goal is to use it on another vehicle I own as well. (95 turbo honda civic) 1 ecu, adapter harnesses, less money.

3. More control, and better control. The possibilities are nearly endless of what I can control based on any parameter or set of parameters or conditions, as well as being able to add sensors for more control.

chances are if you're running nitrous and/or water meth on your car, you're running some type of controller, I just took it a step further... a Big step further. :D

I see your point, I don't know the resolution of the maps the tuners here are using. My guess is like every 500 rpm? Just a guess… But, yea haltech is awesome. you can get a lot more resolution for the fuel and ignition maps not to mention some other very nifty options.

GL on your quest sir. :y

kponti 09-22-2015 08:46 AM

Good luck, I am looking forward to seeing what you make of this. I am glad someone is doing this finally!

Canbus has been on several cars that have had standalones on them for years, nothing new here. Just don't cut off its feedback signals (or make fake ones) and you should be ok, MB or not. (not making light of OP's work, just stating it may not be as complex as it seems, its been already done with cars with just as complex a Canbus system)

Mitch Detailed 09-22-2015 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by kponti (Post 6563447)
Good luck, I am looking forward to seeing what you make of this. I am glad someone is doing this finally!

Canbus has been on several cars that have had standalones on them for years, nothing new here. Just don't cut off its feedback signals (or make fake ones) and you should be ok, MB or not. (not making light of OP's work, just stating it may not be as complex as it seems, its been already done with cars with just as complex a Canbus system)

Quoted for truth! The "its gonna freak out the canbus" talk is foolishness lol

Mitch Detailed 09-22-2015 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Max.H (Post 6563266)
I see your point, I don't know the resolution of the maps the tuners here are using. My guess is like every 500 rpm? Just a guess… But, yea haltech is awesome. you can get a lot more resolution for the fuel and ignition maps not to mention some other very nifty options.

GL on your quest sir. :y

Ill have a table set up rather wide. 17x17 non linear or something near it. Ypu want more cells in the idle, cruise, and light accel areas than you do in mid and high accel areas.tables woll peak at 8k rpm and 30psi. (unreachable windows, but the goal is a table setup that I never have to add to later)

Max.H 09-22-2015 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mitch Detailed (Post 6563645)
but the goal is a table setup that I never have to add to later)

I hear you on that... Maybe just a little fine tune and add a few degrees of timing here and there when or if you get to those group of cells. :y

BC928 09-23-2015 10:47 PM

This is the kind of stuff that can (and has, for others) move the platform forward.

Listen, if a GTR can have a standalone, then a 10 year old MB can have a piggy-back.